ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
 Post subject: Personal Best Log
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:21 pm 

As you all know there are several workout journals on this board, including mine. These journals give us great insight into the depth of weightlifting, but the board doesn't have a way to show great breadth.
My idea is to have everyone post their personal bests (in whatever is your favorite exercise, or group of exercises), then it can be updated with new PBs when they are set. Everyone is free to post here, and hopefully the thread will help the community to come together and celebrate one anothers' achievements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:27 pm 
I hate to be the pessimist of the group, but I fear that might lead to a lot of bragging and BS numbers, although it is an interesting idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:28 pm 

So I guess I'll start...

Bench Press: one rep max = 250lbs
Squat: three rep max = 265lbs
Pull-ups: one set = 22 reps
Leg press: eight rep max = 455lbs
Push-ups: one set = 33 reps

As I think of other good measures I'll post them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:42 pm 
Here goes ..... I'm about 5'6" and currently weight about 220-225lbs. My best ever lifts (mostly recent) include:

Standard Deadlift - 365 lbs for 3 reps
Barbell Squat - 315 lbs for 2 reps
Barbell Bench Press - 305 lbs for 3 reps
Close-grip Bench Press - 225 lbs for 8 reps
Dumbbell Bench Press - 110 lbs x 2 for 4 reps
Seated Military Press - 185 lbs for 2 reps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:43 pm 
Matt Z wrote:
I hate to be the pessimist of the group, but I fear that might lead to a lot of bragging and BS numbers, although it is an interesting idea.

Normally i'd agree completely, but the people on this site seem alot more legit than on others ive seen.

I'll wait till next week to put mine up as i'll be going close to max with my lifts in a few days..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:45 pm 
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, my PR's were done 20-25 years ago, so i think posting them now would be irrevelant. my right hip starting going south about 4 years ago. I still squat and pull off the floor, but have to be very careful about it. With that, I'm training mostly now to keep fit, and haven't really gone after a max in three years, going mainly for strength/endurance. Am 5'8" approx 170, 56 years old. What I am proud of, was that I clean and pressed 185, then clean and jerked 225 to celebrate my 50th B day. Was then give or take 170. Am currently starting a new cycle and will post halfway through in about 5-7 weeks.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:35 am 

Bench: 255x1
Squat: 345x5 (powerlifting style)
Deadlift 455x1
Power Snatch 3x165

Push Press ~205ish
Power Clean, not sure exactly probably right around 225, was never very good at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:19 am 
Thanks matt. Looking at your #'s Im wondering, is the top half of the bench press your sticking point when you miss a rep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:28 am 
Very nice deadlift Ryan. Im still pretty new to it, just over the last month or so have i started doing it regularly...but i have fallen in love with it already! Of course making rapid gains always helps ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:57 am 

When I was pulling that number, I wasn't even deadlifting very much.

I was following a westside routine with a lot of speed box squats and max effort box squats. Every 2-4 weeks I would do a deadlift and the numbers were always pretty good. Then after some time, I did a 3 week cycle of deadlifts and the 2nd and 3rd weeks really brought my number up.

The key to deadlifting a big max is to train singles and other lower reps.

For benching and squatting, I have found the higher reps to help my max, but with the deadlift, it just doesnt work like that, atleast for me.

I also think I have good natural leverages for the deadlift, probably why I am so bad at bench (long arms).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 am 
Actually, if I do get stuck on bench presses it's usually just a few inches off my chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 am 
Matt Z wrote:
Actually, if I do get stuck on bench presses it's usually just a few inches off my chest.

Oh ok. I was just saying that cause you listed an 8 rep max for close grip..i was thinking maybe you werent going heavy on triceps exercises and it would make them your weak link in the bench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:30 pm 
I stick to fairly high reps for triceps (8-12), even though close-grips are a compound movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:56 pm 
Ok heres a couple of mine that i know: Im 5'10 180-185.

Hack squat - 305x2 (**no access to squat rack**)
Barbell Row (wide grip pronated, middle finger on rings)- 195x2
Close grip steep incline bench press(appr 60 deg)- 190x2

Standard Deadlift ill be doing in a few days, im expecting it to be no less than 310x2. Its not that great but im still fairly knew at it and i've probably shot up like 50lbs over the past month...so im excited about that. As for why i didnt post a standard flat bench press, well, ive decided to lay off of that the past couple months in favor of a different variation. I need to let my Row catch up cause ive always had a bad imbalance (due to neglect!). Last month i did close grip flat bench, i got 225 for 3. The Row numbers i posted i can do more with a medium underhand grip...but i focus on the wide pronated grip cause its the same width as my bench press grip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next