ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:35 am 
n00b
n00b

I have read on this website that cardio may nullify muscle gain. I do weights 3 times a week and alternate that with cardio (running 8.2 to 8.6 m/h for 30-40 mins) on other days with 1 or 2 days rest per week. The reason I am asking coz I feel that I have plateaued w.r.t muscle mass as well as the weights I am doing for different muscle groups (esp bench press). I am 5'8" and presently 150lbs.

Is there someway that I can run and still bulk up? I ENJOY RUNNING A LOT.

Thanks,

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:46 am 

That volume of running shouldn't negatively affect your muscle as long as you eat adequate protein an nutrients and get adequate rest. You probably need to change your exercise routine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:06 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

rsx_doc wrote:
I have read on this website that cardio may nullify muscle gain. I do weights 3 times a week and alternate that with cardio (running 8.2 to 8.6 m/h for 30-40 mins) on other days with 1 or 2 days rest per week. The reason I am asking coz I feel that I have plateaued w.r.t muscle mass as well as the weights I am doing for different muscle groups (esp bench press). I am 5'8" and presently 150lbs.

Is there someway that I can run and still bulk up? I ENJOY RUNNING A LOT.

Thanks,

Vic

Vic,

As someone once said, "If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both."
That means the running you are no doing is going to cut into you bulking up program.

The primary problem that running cuts down on your recovery time from resistance training. Recover time is when you build muscle, so your running is slowing down that process.

If you still want to run, interval like sprinters perform would be a better option. Cut back from three times a week to two time a week and keep you intervals to about twenty minutes. That will help you with you bulking.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

I am 5'8 also. I gained 48lbs bulking up and still plan on 22 more pounds before cutting up. Possibly going down to 215 lbs. I researched a lot of things online and found out the best way to gain weight is now. Well from my experience I gained 25 lbs in my first month of attempting weight gain. First off I also love to run but being tiny was out of the question. So with that being said I completely cut out cardio out of my workout. I then uped my daily caloric intake to 6000 calories very hard to do by the way and then I did a very simple workout. Three days a week for ex. Mon Wed Fri and 10 reps per muscle. I would do 10 d-bell curls so that the last rep was barely making it up, 10 squats with enough weight so the tenth rep was barely making it up bench leg extension leg curl pull ups sometimes weighted, and three sets of calve raises im known for having smaller legs. I now weigh 208 lbs. I have a belly but I'm way bigger than I was. I recommend what I told you only if you can lift consistently and have the motivation to trim off the pudge when you hit your desired weight. You can get there. Know you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

hey can i use this thread to ask about protein supplementation before and or after cardio?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

I train endurance, strength, and power, to great effect. Just remember that hypertrophy training is a stress on your cardiovascular system, too. Might try some ambidextrous fine motor control drills, to start endogenous steroid production, if you want a natural boost to your training regimen, and remember the stabilization musculature, the more muscles you can hit, the more your body will kick into overdrive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm 

GarethFieldParkour wrote:
I train endurance, strength, and power, to great effect. Just remember that hypertrophy training is a stress on your cardiovascular system, too. Might try some ambidextrous fine motor control drills, to start endogenous steroid production, if you want a natural boost to your training regimen, and remember the stabilization musculature, the more muscles you can hit, the more your body will kick into overdrive.
I'll bet that there are some supplements that would help to kick the body into overdrive, too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can we please refrain from bumping these old threads?

We also have another situation where some evidence is needed. One thing in particular that you said is demonstrably false.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]