ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I still don't see your point. I could understand if you lived on a tiny, remote island where nearly everyone was related, but Scotland is a pretty big place with a reasonably large population (more than large enough to maintain a viable gene pool). Meanwhile, I don't have a problem with mixed-race marriages, but I wouldn't ever recomend choosing a spouse on basis of race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

VoK wrote:
You're reasons to go to school are flawed.

I don't go to a University to get a job. I go to school to grow as a person and to give me a few years in my life where I can learn about myself and other topics that I couldn't learn if I was out of school.

As to white people not being fit...please. This has been argued so many times. Don't use race as an excuse.

funny thing is vok white people arent a race they are an ethnicity there is only one race and thats the human race. caucasion would be a better term. even the term rascist is wrong should be ethnicitist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

In america which is where I live in ny actually I have black friends I have white friends I'm caucasion myself :) what I have heard are theories some of them may be true. For instance due to slavery in the united states black people were bred to be work horses bigger stronger etc. Thats one theory. Also a black friend of mine said look at it this way. Inner citys are predominantly black? A black kid says I want to be the next michael jordan the white kid says I want to be a dr? It's all from day one if you grow up thinking you have to jump 40 inches to be succesful in life youl'l do that if you grow up thinking you have to go to college for 8 years you'll do that. From my experience black atheletes are better on average that doesnt mean white people can't be as good or better we just have different ideals from our youth. Supposedly where your brought up inner city suburbs country etc has a big deal what you think you have to do to be successful in life. It is what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Interesting point Coreless. Brings to mind the age old question of Nature or Nurture? BTW, not even the top physcologists/Biologists can agree on these ideas.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:38 pm 

Personally, I think the slavery/work horse theory is BS. I think it's based more on stereotypes than reality. For every black guy that looks like Shaq, that are a lot more that look like Chris Rock.

I do however think there's something to the cultural/socio-economic theory. Middle-class, white kids are rarely encouraged to pursue sports as a career. Some are discouraged from playing sports at all. Meanwhile poor, inner-city, black kids may see sports as a "way out."

Likewise, socio-economic factors strongly influence which sports people play. For example, boxing has always been a lower-class sport, while skiing is predominantly an upper-class sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 am 
Novice
Novice

There should be studies on this. I having lived in the city and in the suburbs have a decent idea what goes on. In the city people naturally are expected to be good atheletes due to that being one of the main things that could get you out of the city. When i moved to the suburbs its like the inner city athletes that were successful good enough to go to college or what not then moved to the suburbs and someof those parents were more into the sports than their kids. I seen kids being pushed by their parents in sports. All I know is i was that poor white kids whos parents wouldnt pay for him to play pop warner football. My kids will play sports any they choose and i will pay. I want my kids to enjoy growing up being competitive and live life that way. We are the fatest country. Why? People get lazy and start being lazy with their kids. I wont be that way and you dont get anywhere accepting failure or not striving for more. In everything I have ever done growing up wether its school work or in video games i aim to win. I think thats the way it should be. I'm not wrong right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:31 pm 

your right.