ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Deadlift Question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:01 pm 
One thing I've noticed with Standard Deadlifts is that if I can get the first rep, I can then get at least 3-5 reps total, and sometimes as many as 8 or 10. This may be partly because I do touch and go reps, rather than pause and reset after each rep. However, I definitely don't bounch the weight off the floor.

I've had similar results with Dumbbell Bench Presses. I start out sitting on a bench with a pair of dumbbells in my lap and then lay back with the weights held tightly against my chest. If I can power through the first rep I can generally get at least 4 or 5.

PS.) For me the sticking point on deadlifts is at the start of the lift. If I can get the weight more than an inch or two inches off the ground I've got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:05 pm 
Has anyone else here had similar results in their training? Any thoughts on why this might happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:39 pm 

If this happens then it means you have poor starting strength.

Once you get the weight up, you can get a little stored kinetic energy on the touch and go, even if you arent actually bouncing.

I used to feel similarly but working starting strength off the floor can really help this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:39 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, it doe mean poor push off from the ground. Years ago, this Finish lifter develope a routine to compensate for both starting and finish strength. I believe it was called the Finnish DL routine, and I'm sure a search would find it. Basically the first phase was to DL twice a week. On day 1 you pulled while standing on blocks to increase ROM (starting strength overload), and I believe the other day was SLDL's. I don't think rack pulls came into playuntil phase II. But rather than standing on blocks, DL's with a snatch grip will produce pretty much the same effect.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:53 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I've posted this article before, but it's the best breakdown of the deadlift that I've ever read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:31 pm 
Interesting article. I can tell by reading it that the author is taller than I am, since he makes a clear distinction between the starting point of a deadlift, and the point at which the bar reaches mid-shin level. For me the bar is just a hair bellow mid-shin level BEFORE I start to pull. :-)

He also recomends standard deadlifts for people with long arms and legs and short torsos ... and sumo deadlifts for people with short arms and legs. I guess I must be a freak, because I have short arms, a short torso and relatively long legs (for my height).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:14 pm 
I think I may need to work on speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:16 pm 
Also, I suspect there may be a mental element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:14 pm 
One reason I prefer standard deadlifts over sumo deadlifts is that I feel the standard version is a more natural and functional movement. It's also suposedly a better muscle-building exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

is it true that there will be a better ab workout and less on the obliques with a belt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 pm 

GoLdeN M 07 wrote:
is it true that there will be a better ab workout and less on the obliques with a belt?

No, the belt takes the place of your core, so you eliminate the abs/obliques from the exercise almost completely. A way to work the abs is to flex/clinch them throughout the set, or at least throughout most of each rep. This is also supposed to take pressure off your back.

Post subject: New Question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Figured I'd post this here instead of making another thread:

Lately, when I've been doing deadlifts, I've noticed that I've been 'feeling it' a lot more in the Gluts/Quads than I used to, and less in my back. I'm guessing this is because I've been squatting a lot more than I ever used to (used to have knee trouble), and those muscles are starting to take over.

I'm wondering if I can modify my technique so that I'm targetting my back. I try to keep my legs nearly straight until the bar passes my knees, and I try to keep my lower legs as vertical as possible. Should I try the straight/stiff leg deadlifts instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:57 pm 

Couldn't hurt, that more or less gets the quads out of the equation. Another though would be rack lockouts, starting in the rack with the bar starting at various positions from knee height on up.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:06 pm 
It could just be that your back has gotten stronger and is therefore no longer the weak link in your deadlift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So going down past the knees isn't required? I've been letting the plates down to a few inches off the floor, but this is probably why I've been getting the extra workout in the legs?

Not that the leg workout hurts, but I've been enjoying doing squats quite a bit (now that my knees can take it), so I'd like to focus the deadlifts to the back.

Thanks...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next