ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New New Split Routine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 pm 
Okay, I'm thinking of changing my split routine yet again. This split I'm considering looks like this:

Monday - delts, biceps, abs/obliques
Tuesday - quads, hamstrings, calves
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - chest, triceps, abs/obliques
Friday - back, traps, forearms
Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest

In this program I'll be doing Military Presses on Mondays, Barbell Squats on Tuesdays, Incline and Dumbbell Bench Presses on Thursdays and Standard Deadlifts, Pulldowns and Rows on Fridays. I'll also, be doing Straight-leg Deadlifts for hamstrings on Tuesdays, however I plan on going very light. Hopefully, this will spare my erectors for Standard Deadlifts later in the week.

I'm also a little concerned that training legs early in the week may slow their recovery and the recovery of other muscle groups. This is why I chose to train legs the day after delts and biceps, my easiest workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:42 pm 
Let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:33 pm 
Looks good to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:54 pm 
In the past I used to do Standard Deadlifts on Tuesdays, and Squats and Straight-leg Deadlifts. Back then I was going pretty heavy on all three lifts, and this eventually lead to me overtraining my erectors. I'm hoping that by moving a few things around, and using only light weights on straight-leg deadlifts I can prevent this from happening again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Matt,

By now you know my love for splits :)

But I am curious. Why are biceps separate from back? It would make sense to me to sub biceps and traps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:07 am 
Well it looks like front delts and biceps get hit twice a week and abs get it 3 times, and everything else just once. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why not something like
chest, front + side delt, upper trap, triceps (good if you like military press)
back (mid + lower trap, lats, rea delts, etc but no erectors) bi, forearms
glutes, hip/outer thigh, quads, calves
hams, erectors, abs, inner thighs.

Or maybe move side delts and upper traps to back day and just finish front delts with front raises on chest day. Or on the 2 leg days, you might switch a couple things around depending on which exercises you do. Or you could even do a 3 day split with legs and abs on 1 day and your upper body split into 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:43 am 
I used to pair back with biceps and delts with traps. I stopped doing this partly because my back/biceps workouts were running a little long, while my delt/trap workouts were very short. Also, I noticed when I used to pair back and biceps my workouts would drag. Meanwhile, now that I'm including deadlifts in my back workout again I think it make sense to follow up with shrugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:08 pm 
Also, delts and biceps are weak points for me, so I want to bring them up to par.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:31 pm 
PS.) I've tried training delts after chest, but I found that I couldn't use nearly as much weight on overhead presses training this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:16 pm 
Also, I include no exercises specifically for glutes, inner thighs or hips/outer thighs, since between deadlifts, squats, and straight-leg deadlifts I think these areas get plenty of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:34 pm 
As far as delts after chest, you are not suppose to be able to lift as much, that is the point. If you could it would mean you didn't get your chest very good. You want your front delts cooked so you can just finish them off. Same thing with triceps, after all the pressing, they are done, 1 isolation set and your finished.

As for all the body parts, I was just being thorough, I don't do isolation for all those either. I do 1 set that targets inner thighs, but It is usually a compound that gets something else too. I just do different types of squats and deadlifts really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:38 pm 
Do you really do deadlifts the day after squats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:42 pm 
I haven't actually. Right now I do them the same day. I have done them 48 hours after squats on a seperate day when I was on a 4 day split. I have also done them 48 hours after on a 3 day along with back. I didn't like doing them with back. If you do them after back you end up having to use less weight because a couple stabilizers are fried. If you do them before, you have to do your back on a bench because you erector spinae is done. Right now I am doing a sort of push/pull/legs type of thing. Not counting warmups, I do 3 sets of squats first. I max out on 8 reps each. Then 3 sets of straight legs, I max out on 8 with these too. Then I max out on 8 for just 1 set of sumo deadlifts. I do 1 set of weighted decline situps, 12 reps close to failure, then drop the weight and get a few more reps. I am trying to keep the growth slow on abs. Even if I was going heavy I would still only do 1 set, it is all they would need after squats and deads. Then I finish up with 3 set of calf raises. I max out around 7 to 10 reps.

To me it sounds like you do too much, but hey, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 pm 
I'm thinking of going heavy (3-5 reps on major compound lifts) every third week, and light (8-12 reps) on the remaining weeks. Eventually, I may adopt a more structured powerlifting-style periodization program if and when my strenght gains begin to plateu, but so far I haven't had to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:09 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Matt. Actually, that's not a bad idea. It's kind of a variation on the old "heavy-light" thing. Both Poloquin and King , when training athlete have use something along the lines of 12, 8, 10, 6 reps per week in a progression over 4 weeks in an accumulation phase. Example, first week, 12 reps at 60%, 8 R @75, 10 reps 67%, 6 reps @ 85%, and so on. If you lift twice a week on the same, it could be done over that period. Your idea is a bit different, yet very similar. Try it out. Also, in an intensification phase, it might look like this, 6,3,5,2 per week/ session, again waving the intensities.
Tim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next