ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sad thing is, that is really what some people think. Fortunately we have laws in this country to protect people from that. However in places like Iran that sort of thing is socially acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Yes, we have laws, however, in the story line, pastor was aquitted for the brainwashing.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's the problem. Being critical of religion in the slightest way is still taboo here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:17 pm 

not for me and my group of friends lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:30 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Taboo? Are you kidding? People criticize and mock religion all the time, especially organized religion. How many child-molesting preist jokes have you heard? If anything, it's religious expression that's taboo. Modern, western society generally frowns on public worship, and discourages the public display of religious symbols. Meanwhile, anyone who doesn't keep their beliefs private is quickly accused of trying to force them on others. Often it's even considered politically incorrect to wish someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Easter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:43 pm 

Teachers can lose their job for saying merry christmas, pretty crazy.

About the religon thing, in a couple of my classes I've had these people who have to openly talk about how they don't believe in God. We had to do these book projects and a couple of my friends chose the Bible. We had to do a power point presentation for our book and when they went up to do it this little freaky devil girl (as I describe her) speaks out loud and denounces the Bible as all lies and garbage blah blah and interrupting what they were saying. In the other class the teacher mentioned God and I'm not sure who it was but again they made a statement out loud about how they don't believe in God, doesn't exist.

Why is it that these people have to speak out like that? What fuels their need to speak out in such a way that everyone can hear them instead of keeping it to themselves? People who are religous (not religous extremists) don't go out of their way to say how they don't believe in this or that. Do they feel special for not having any beliefs? Do they think they got one up on everyone? IDK, any opinions on the matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:21 pm 

Well, yes, I'm an opinionated type of guy. Yes, everones is entitled to their opinion, but when you are giving an assigned presentation, I don't give a crap what the subject is, there is a thing known as common courtesy, and you let the people give their presentation-without interuption. Those kids that shouted out, I respect their opinions, but they should have been kicked out causing an occurence. I guess I'm just to old, and there have been so many changes. When I was in school, the 50's and 60's, and I'd have done that, the first thing that would have happened was I'd have gotten sent to the principle, the principle would than have called my parents, and they'd have knocked the crap out of me (or tried to anyway). here's what should have happend. Those kids sit through the presentation, then at the end, bring up a CIVIL discussion of what they disagreed with.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aw, people aren't allowed to publicly promote a religion and have to stay neutral? What a crime. Next thing you know they will start letting Atheists vote.

Give me a break. Just look at the reaction I got on here and I was being nice. You can point out the short comings in anything but religion. You point out those short comings even in the nicest way and you cause an uproar.

In a poll of who would you vote for in a presidential election, Atheists were dead last out of all minorities. Virtually all people who even believe in God (this includes people who are not at all religious) are prejudiced against Atheists. It has nothing to do with character though. Consider this fact, the percentage of the U.S. population that does not believe in God (Atheist, Agnostic etc) is about 14%. THe percentage of unbelievers in the prison population, 0.21%. Yes that is less then a quarter of a percent. Where as Judeo-Christians (including Muslims, aka all Religions branching from Judeism) 91%. If you are talking strictly Christians it is 80%. So you can see it is all irrational prejudice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:53 pm 

So no one is allowed to disagree with you? Isn't that the point of a forum, to discuss/debate things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:20 pm 

It's been my experience that, in many ways, Atheism is like a religion. Most Atheists, like most Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddists are content to live-and-let-live. However, some are extremists, who insist on forcing their beliefs on others.

Unfortunately, many people have formed negative opinions of Atheists based on this small but vocal minority. Likewise many Westerners have formed negative opinions of Islam based on the inexcusable actions of Muslim extremests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 pm 

Also, I think separation of church and state is a good thing. However, it can be taken too far. For example, if a group of students choose to pray together, quietly, durring their lunch period, I don't see how school officials can prevent them from doing so.

Likewise, I don't see how a Catholic wearing a crusafix, or a Muslim woman covering her hair is a threat to anyone else's freedom.

Last edited by Matt Z on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Aw, people aren't allowed to publicly promote a religion and have to stay neutral?

If you a referring to me in this instance its the whole point of being rude as hell about it. Great if someone is promoting their beliefs, do it in a civilised manor.

Quote:
are prejudiced against Atheists.
Thats just do it shear ignorance. I'm generally not prejudice towards people. If you had an atheist who was upstanding as an individual and was courteous to other beliefs then IDC. But if you have an Atheist or anyone of any religon for that matter and he saw somebody with rosary beads hanging from something in their cubicle and decides to rip it down or ridicule it then yes I will have a problem with that person.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:51 pm 

By the way, I wouldn't wish anyone a Merry Christmas unless I knew for a fact that they were a Christian. I think it's rude to assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 pm 

I had an econ teacher who would be willing to say any holiday thing around that time of the year upon the request of his students. Christmas, Honakuh (yikes!), that islam one (romadon?). He would to as far as putting out the symbols of the holidays. Dradle, xmas tree, etc. Cover all basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:47 am 

i think with saying a happy holiday and or like merry christmas its safe to assume that its the majority holiday at least in our country. Also if I walked up to you and said merry christmas its safe to assume I do the whole christmas thing. I am "athiest" and a babtised catholic. I was a kid in church thinking the entire scene as ridiculous. I see people wear crosses and they arent even religious. I don't know why someone would wear something that was a torturous thing to christ if he existed. Religion or lack of religion is simply based on what your able to believe. Some people can believe theres aliens but that cant believe in an all knowing being. I have a friend who doesnt believe but then he doesnt believe in evolution either. How did chinese people get slanted eyes? what about black people? I said they naturally adapted to their environments hes like whatever. I say ok then his gf says I kinda believe in something(religion) because I just couldn't imagine nothing after death or during? The same nothing that makes people believe is the same awe jaw dropping confusion and awesomeness that makes people believe in god all creating all knowing blah blah. How can just one thing exist since forever have the ability to create and all that. The one question I hear is who created god who created who created god and before that and before that. Big bang big crunch theories. Thats my belief.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next