ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: THE RIGHT SHOES
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 pm 

I read this following article on this website what shoes would you recommend I buy for the gym cause I am going to bye a weight training pair of shoes and stop being a lame deadlifting with running shoes on. Where can I buy these shoes and what would you guys reccommend. heres the article. The pictures of the shoes didnt show but heres the link
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weig ... Shoes.html

Weightlifting Shoes 101

Lon Kilgore, Ph.D. and Mark Rippetoe, CSCS

ExRx.net > Weight Training > Weightlifting > Article

Ever thought about the shoes that you wear to the gym? Of course you have. You've actually spent some time thinking about which shoes to wear, and you probably have a pair designated as your 'gym shoes'. How did those shoes earn that illustrious title and serve such a noble purpose? Suitability for the task? Performance enhancement? Safety? Not usually. Comfort and looks seem to be the main criteria associated with gym shoe choice. This is a problem if your training includes any free weights at all. Most of us would never consider wearing a pair of Bruno Magli's to play racquetball. They are built to look good, not to perform well on the court. While this may be obvious to some, many of us will make an equally poor footwear decision and wear running shoes to the gym to lift weights.

Proper footwear in the gym is important, especially if you are lifting free weights. When we lift weights we want two things to happen: (1) all the force our body produces under the bar should contribute to moving the weight and (2) the weight needs to be controlled in a safe manner. If we lift in a running shoe, it's akin to trying to lift while standing on a giant marshmallow. The soles of the running shoes, the marshmallow, will absorb and dissipate a large amount of the force generated against the floor that should be directed towards moving the weight. A gel or air cell shoe is a great thing for reducing the impact shock that causes the repetitive use injuries associated with running. But in the weight room, shoes should provide for the efficient transmission of power between the bar and the ground. You can't lift as much weight in the wrong shoes.

The second issue is control of the weight - and your body - while standing on an unstable surface. A compressible medium placed between the feet and the ground will behave inconsistently enough during each rep to alter the pattern of force transmission every time. This means that the subtle points of consistent good technique on any standing exercise are impossible to control. And there is an increased chance for a balance or stability loss-induced injury while lifting heavy weights, since perfect balance cannot be assured on an imperfect surface.

Weightlifters and powerlifters have known this for more than 50 years, although the shoe choices available for their purposes were formerly quite limited. Until the 1970's, combat boots, Chuck Taylor's, and even patent leather oxfords (see old photos of Paul Anderson) were the shoes used for lifting weights. To be stable and perform optimally, a weightlifting shoe needs to be snug fitting, provide exceptional support, and have a noncompressible wedge sole with neoprene or crepe for traction against the floor. Most will lace all the way down to the toe for adjustment to individual foot width, and will have an adjustable strap across the metatarsal area for added lateral stability. When Adidas from Germany and Kahru of Finland became available on a limited basis in the US, weightlifters finally had the opportunity to use equipment specifically designed for their activity. High topped and not especially stylish, these shoes had minimal appeal to the fashion conscious, but lifters loved them because they worked.

But there was a scheduling problem: the gym and fitness club industry had just been revolutionized by the simultaneously-evolving exercise machine industry. Having removed the factors of balance, coordination, and technique from the equation, exercise machines temporarily sidelined the development of weight training shoes. Over the past two decades, free weights and the benefits of their use have crept back into gyms and fitness clubs everywhere. The need for weightlifting shoes re-emerged without a supply beyond the stalwart Adidas corporation's Power Perfect, Equipment, and Adistar models. Other major shoe brands like Nike, Puma, and Reebok began to experiment with weightlifting shoes. A number of foreign brands such as Do Win (China), and Power Firm (Canada), as well as the American company Safe-USA have also competed for a share of the growing US market. All these companies offer shoes that are designed for competitive weightlifting or powerlifting, but that are good for all basic lifts, especially the squat, given their exemplary support and incompressible heel design. A variety of powerlifting shoes with essentially flat soles and no heel lift, much like track flats or wrestling shoes, are also available from powerlifting equipment houses like Inzer (USA), and also work for basic exercise purposes. These shoes are less suited for squatting, since they require that you have better than average flexibility to squat in them, but they are excellent for floor work and standing exercises.

Another pair of shoes to buy? Is it really worth it? Yes. Effective training yields superior results. Safe training yields fewer training injuries. The logic is inescapable. For as little as $40 for a pair of old-school Chuck Taylor's or as much as $170 for the state of the art Adidas shoe, you can have the right shoe for the right job. The right shoe is important for performance and safety, and for as little as half the cost of a premium running shoe, you can look and lift like a pro.

Solid sole design and micro-adjustable arch support make today’s economy lifting shoe perform on par with more expensive, stylish, and sought after premier shoes but the old standbys still work.

Top Left - Adidas Adistar ($170).

Top Right – Inzer Pillar ($115).

Center Left – Werksan lifting shoe ($99).

Center Right –. VS Athletics lifting shoe ($50).

Bottom – The most economical choice, the Converse Chuck Taylor® All Star ($40)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:04 pm 

Chuck Taylors don't come in my size. If you have big feet you're SOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:05 pm 

10 and a half or 11 thats so funny I seen people at the gym wearing chuck taylors awhile ago I thought wow what a dork or moron or cheap skate didnt know they were good for ya ....you can get them anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:28 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hey Coreless, just a stupid question, but did you consider googling Chuck Tayor shoes Outlets? If you do, you will find footlocker and similar stores carry them.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:21 am 

actually im not a google slut haha so i didn't realise that. I guess if I have any other questions I'll just ask google haha. Also not referring to you as a google slut but I know a lot of people use that search engine haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 am 

also i wanted people opinions on the shoes who i kinda know? Ya know not some website promotting them lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:55 am 
n00b
n00b

I use my badminton shoes. Comfortable and stable.

Image: http://yonex.com/img/shoes/shb100mx.png

Haven't had any problems using them, but then, I haven't done any "serious" weightlifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:07 am 
n00b
n00b

I've been using the chuck taylors (leather not canvas) for like 7 months now --for squats and deads. Before I got 'em I was using combat boots cause the only other shoes I had were running shoes. I got the chucks after alot of folks recommended them to me for obvious reasons like flat sole and ankle support. Combat boots worked well too but I'd have to change shoes after squating before I got to calf raises cause it was hard to set the ball of my foot on the plate and get a full ROM squeeze out of 'em w/ the boots on...they're really thick soled. Also, I felt odd wearing combat boots in the gym so I'm glad I got the chucks. I wouldn't squat or DL w/out them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:50 am 
n00b
n00b

I went to a local dept. store and bought a pair of cheap, flat-soled skater's shoes for deads and squats. They also had some off-brand imitation Chuck's for around $11. The gym is not a place for fashion; it's a place to work hard and sweat. Buy something cheap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:05 pm 

Awesome will do my gf B1tch3s about me wanting to get another paid of gym shoes she cant grasp the concept that these running shoes are bad for squatting or dl's i have to break it down for her lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:30 pm 

Hey, Coreless.You mentioned you were in the army. I used my pair of combat boots for squatting and sandbags back when I was in. They were very stable and had a good heel. You still got yours?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:11 pm 

actually i dont but from what im understanding is that heels arent what you want the reason they mention chuck taylors as being good shoes is because they are flat without a heel and the bottom of the shoe is pretty hard. I loved my combat boots except the fact that i now have a permanent bump on the top of each foot from the metal part of the laces. I always had them tied really tight. That and the fact that going for my EIB I tore my heels up like crazy. Biggest blisters that wasnt from a burn i have ever seen in my life! took up the whole back of my heel. Pretty crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:36 pm 

Well, I disagree on the squatting in slippers. Most of the OL shoes may not have had a visible heel per see, but they did keep the heels elevated to a degree to allow for depth. Kind of like putting a board under your heels. It required much more ankle flexibility when squatting in slippers or wrestling shoes. On the other hand, most of the PL types I've seen use wrestling shoes of slippers for the Deds
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:45 pm 

right now im lifting in running shoes and thats not a good thing due to the soft heels ill buy a pair if chuck taylors shortly and see how they feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've trained barefoot yesterday (I can do it because I train at home), and I liked it. It's quite different than when you train with shoes, you should try it once.
I don't know, but is it possible that when you lift barefoot your posture will improve?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next