ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Badass Hall of Fame
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:29 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The purpuse of this thread is to share feats of exceptional strength, skill and courage, as well as physical and mental toughness. These may include things you've seen on television or the internet, read about or actually witnessed. For example, in 1995 a South African man named Frik Van Heerden was attacked by a leopard at a mineral exploration site in Botswana. Somehow, in the desperate struggle that followed, he managed to get the leopard around the neck and strangled it to death with his bare hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:40 pm 

Have you heard of the farmer who cut his own arm off? Well this guy was working w/ a corn schucking machine and some corn husk or w/e got caught in it. He reached his hand in their while the machine was running. To no suprise his hand got stuck and was getting pulled in. I believe what he did next was jam the gears w/ some sort of metal object. The machine caught on fire along with the field he was working in because of the thing he jammed in the machine. To save his life he had to cut is arm off near the top. To break the bone yikes....he had to force his BW down which snapped the bone in half and at that exact moment some sort of explosion went off at the top of the machine that would have killed him if he didn't do what he did. After that he got in his car, drove into an intersection and parked his car there to try and stop people. This guy and his truck was totally covered in blood and people still went around him! Finally a nurse and an off duty paramedic stop to help him. His arm wasn't recovered since his skin and such was melting and catching on fire while he was trying to cut it off before. That guy has "Balls of Steel".

The story is a little choppy due to time constraints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

Seriously though, how about that Olympic wrestler who was in that plane crash and then stranded? It's killing me that I can't remember his name, think it was Rudy something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

How about the guy who went rock climbing by himself, and a boulder fell on his arm and he became stuck. He decided the only way to save himself was buy cutting off his arm with small pocket knife, only part way through he decided he couldn't do it, and he stopped with his arm half cut off. Later he summoned up the will power to finish the job, and be crushed his bones with a rock, and used the knife to completely separate his arm from his body. Then he had to walk back to his truck, and drive himself to the hospital. That's hardcore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:38 pm 

Yeah, I think I heard that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:03 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Funny you should mention him. He was on the Today show this morning doing an interview w/Al Roker in Idaho. He's at a youth camp to straighten out trouble kids/teens, and is proding tons of positive influence.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:04 am 
n00b
n00b

I heard that story too. Simply amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:00 pm 

Any CMH winner.
http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html
Hell anyone fighting for my freedom.
My grandfather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:53 pm 

Now that you mention it .... Ever heard of Sergeant York?

Also, I remember hearing about a Marine in the Pacific durring WW2 who got out of a tight spot by hip-shooting a water-cooled Browning Machine Gun (A weapon normally used from a tripod to defend more-or-less fixed positions).

And of course Carlos Hathcock was pretty badass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:01 pm 

Of course if you want to go really oldschool .....

Durring the Battle of Bannockburn (spelling?) Robert the Bruce was charged by an English knight while riding his horse out in front of his own lines. He managed to dodge the knight's lance and brought his own battle ax down directly on top of the knight's helmet with tremendous force. This split the knights helmet and head in half, and snapped the handle of the ax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone hear of the old WWI vet who supposedly had all his limbs blown off, lost his sight, hearing, and taste as well? We talked about this in health one day. I guess theres a movie about it and Metallica did something on this too. I wanna say his name was John or something can't really remember though. I guess he leanred morse code and by banging his head was saying kill me and a nurse was about to but a doctor stopped her. I can't imagine that though just being a blob stuck in your own mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:31 am 

euthanasia..... should be legal in that case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am 

drummaniac wrote:
Anyone hear of the old WWI vet who supposedly had all his limbs blown off, lost his sight, hearing, and taste as well?

As far as I know, this is fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun

If you are interested, here's a complete list of Medal of Honor recipients and their full citations.
http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 am 

[edit] Author and context
Dalton Trumbo was born on December 5, 1905 in Montrose, Colorado. Trumbo dropped out of the University of Colorado and joined his family in Los Angeles in 1925. Many of the book character Joe Bonham's early memories are Trumbo's from Colorado and then Los Angeles. The plot idea came from an article he read about the Prince of Wales's visit to a Canadian veterans hospital to see a soldier who had lost all of his senses and his limbs. "Though the novel was a pacifist piece published in wartime, it was well reviewed and won an American Booksellers Award in 1940."[2]

He seen a guy that was like that and thats what the book was from said it on the site!! so yea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 am 

From a different context, Tammy Duckworth. A female helicp[er [p;ot for the Army. While carry troops and crew, the helicopter got a rocket attack, blew her legs off.While in shock and being somewhat clueless, she managed to at least gras[ the context of saving all onboard and managed to land that helicopter. Ran for congress shortly after she got her discharge. Unfortunately she lost her bid. Wish I had a congressman with that sort of character.
Tim