ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:25 pm 
When I used to train with high volume I absolutely needed a full week to recover from most workouts (specific muscle recovery). It took that long for the muscle soarness to subside. Now that I'm using considerably less volume, I recover much more quickly, and probably could get away with training somewhat more often. However, I still prefer targeting individual muscle groups only once a week, since this way I can be certain I'm not overtraining.

Of course, individual muscles do recieve additional stimuli while targeting other areas (my triceps durring military presses), but I consider this active recovery.

PS.) If bodybuilder's muscle mass was the result of scar tissue, they wouldn't lose mass if they stopped training. They'de stay huge right on into old age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The point I was trying to make was that microtears in the muscles do cause the formation of scar tissue, but the normal soreness (DOMS) from training is not a result of microtears.

Bodybuilding/weightlifting can often result in these microtears, and scar tissue can form, but it's not beneficial or inevitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:37 pm 
What I would consider "normal" muscle soarness is relatively mild and peaks the day following a workout, after which point it gradually subsides. "Severe" muscle soarness is painful and may not peak until two or more days after a workout. I believe that the latter yeilds no additional benefit, and is probably counterproductive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 pm 
I didn't see anything in your research about scar tissue.

Post subject: Jasmine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:20 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2