ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 am 
Offline
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Posts: 3129
Location: Va Beach, Va
Kenny wrote
It reminds me of when Adlai Stevenson was running for President. A lady told him "All the thinking people are behind you."

Stevenson replied, I agree. However, I need a majority to win.
End

Good point Kenny. I'm still laughing, but I think only you, Stephen and myself even know who Adlai Stephenson was.
Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:39 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:27 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Kabutzkatura
Quote:
I understand. However, there is NO physical addiction to steriods. It is more of a mental addiction.

That mental addiction is NOT caused steriods. It is caused by the mental problem of the individual.

I guarantee these mentally disturbed individuals are going to have some issues with something.

Hmm would you be referring to muscle dysmorphia:

Quote:
Muscle dysmorphia is a disorder in which a person becomes obsessed with the idea that he or she is not muscular enough. Those who suffer from muscle dysmorphia tend to hold delusions that they are "skinny" or "too small" but are often above average in musculature. Sometimes referred to as bigorexia or reverse anorexia nervosa, it is a very specific type of body dysmorphic disorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_dysmorphia

Quote:
If steroids were readily available by prescription, one could imagine soccer moms and baseball dads all over the country giving steroids to their kids so that their kids can make the team.

I believe no matter what these parents would put their kids on steroids. Look at that 'wrestler' who allegedly put his kid on the gear. Then killed them and himself. He would be catagorized as being a tad bit deranged. I think it takes somebody a little bit out there to put their kids on stuff like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 pm 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1041
Quote:
ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
I understand. However, there is NO physical addiction to steriods. It is more of a mental addiction.

That mental addiction is NOT caused steriods. It is caused by the mental problem of the individual.

I guarantee these mentally disturbed individuals are going to have some issues with something.

Hmm would you be referring to muscle dysmorphia:


Whatever term you prefer to call mental if ok with me.

Quote:
If steroids were readily available by prescription, one could imagine soccer moms and baseball dads all over the country giving
steroids to their kids so that their kids can make the team.


And what socceer mom would do this?

Quote:
I believe no matter what these parents would put their kids on steroids. Look at that 'wrestler' who allegedly put his kid on the gear. Then killed them and himself. He would be catagorized as being a tad bit deranged. I think it takes somebody a little bit out there to put their kids on stuff like that.


These individuals are a bomb waiting to go off. You can blame steriods totally for that.

It was just a matter or time before Benoit (the wrestler) did that to someone.

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:13 pm 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1041
Quote:
TimD wrote:
Kenny wrote
It reminds me of when Adlai Stevenson was running for President. A lady told him "All the thinking people are behind you."

Stevenson replied, I agree. However, I need a majority to win.
End

Good point Kenny. I'm still laughing, but I think only you, Stephen and myself even know who Adlai Stephenson was.
Tim


I agree. Who knows that guy?

Kenny

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am
Posts: 3474
Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Cy Willson, who writes for t-mag.com, wrote an upgrade to Montana's article. I like Wilson's approach as well.

However, t-mag has updated their site and I have not been able to locate Wilson's article. The article is there some place.

Kenny Croxdale


Is this the article?

http://www.t-nation.com/article/feature ... health&cr=

I was reading this thread with interest and just done a quick search, thought I would post it.

KPj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 am 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1041
Quote:
KPj wrote:
Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Cy Willson, who writes for t-mag.com, wrote an upgrade to Montana's article. I like Wilson's approach as well.

However, t-mag has updated their site and I have not been able to locate Wilson's article. The article is there some place.

Kenny Croxdale


Is this the article?

http://www.t-nation.com/article/feature ... health&cr=

I was reading this thread with interest and just done a quick search, thought I would post it.

KPj


Thanks for finding Wilson's article. Wilson provides some good information on how to administer steriods in such a way that one maximizes the benefits while minimizing the risk.

Wison's article is documented with information...see his list of resources a the bottom of the article.

Please note that in reading any article, you have NOT finished reading the article until you have examined the resources.

One of the most interesting part of the article is, "There's a potentially dangerous drug out there of which you should be made aware. It can cause damage to the gastrointestinal system (gastric mucosal bleeding) and lead to ulcers even when used at very low dosages. This drug was implicated in death by medical examiners 101 times in 1998 and led to 12,815 hospital visits in that same year. In short, this stuff could kill you… and you probably have some in your medicine cabinet right now! The name of this potential killer? Aspirin."

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:27 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Kabutzkatura
Quote:
One of the most interesting part of the article is, "There's a potentially dangerous drug out there of which you should be made aware. It can cause damage to the gastrointestinal system (gastric mucosal bleeding) and lead to ulcers even when used at very low dosages. This drug was implicated in death by medical examiners 101 times in 1998 and led to 12,815 hospital visits in that same year. In short, this stuff could kill you… and you probably have some in your medicine cabinet right now! The name of this potential killer? Aspirin."


I'm sure that wold be made illegal to if it gave people an 'unfair' advantage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 am 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 269
corless319_ wrote:
The most important questions are. Who came up with the idea of making steroids illegal and why? If it just makes you bigger and stronger why cant we use and or buy them? It's our body why cant we inject what we want? If a pregnant lady can abort a kid because she just doesn't want it why can't someone put something into their body that doesnt have proven negative consequences? They say Chris benoit went into roid rage and killed his entire family? I think he was messed in the head, big time. Seriously though who made it illegal and why? Why isnt niccotine illegal? Niccotine hooks more people on ciggarettes and kills them with many forms of problems and they have commercials for cigarettes. Well I haven't seen any recently but millions die from that and that doesnt help ANYTHING. Completely negative. I don't know.


did anyone read this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:12 am 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1041
Quote:
corless319_ wrote:
corless319_ wrote:
The most important questions are. Who came up with the idea of making steroids illegal and why? If it just makes you bigger and stronger why cant we use and or buy them? It's our body why cant we inject what we want? If a pregnant lady can abort a kid because she just doesn't want it why can't someone put something into their body that doesnt have proven negative consequences? They say Chris benoit went into roid rage and killed his entire family? I think he was messed in the head, big time. Seriously though who made it illegal and why? Why isnt niccotine illegal? Niccotine hooks more people on ciggarettes and kills them with many forms of problems and they have commercials for cigarettes. Well I haven't seen any recently but millions die from that and that doesnt help ANYTHING. Completely negative. I don't know.


did anyone read this?


I responed to it in part.

Good question with hard answers. Your are into the moral isues and that becomes a "Merry Go Round" with two opposing view points...and neither side giving in.

Nothing is acomplished...so, why go there?

At least with science, your are presented with the facts or empirical data.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:12 am 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
It's amazing how the libertarian "do your own thing" mentality co-exists so amicably with the "victim" mentality in our country today.

If steroids were legalized, many of the people screaming for their use today will be filing lawsuits tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:27 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Kabutzkatura
Quote:
It's amazing how the libertarian "do your own thing" mentality co-exists so amicably with the "victim" mentality in our country today.

If steroids were legalized, many of the people screaming for their use today will be filing lawsuits tomorrow.

Thats easy, force them to sign a disclaimer that claims zero liability if they get injured.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Posts: 1996
Location: Texas
I wish it was that easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
hoosegow wrote:
I wish it was that easy.


Don't worry - it isn't.

Keep an eye on medical malpractice insurance premiums for anti-aging doctors if they distribute performance-enhancing drugs too freely. And don't expect your medical insurance to pick up the tab for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:43 pm 
Offline
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Posts: 3129
Location: Va Beach, Va
A friend of mine ws an ER nurse, and she was saying that whenever they disensed steroids, they had to fill the form out in triplicate, one each for doctor, patient and the FDA
Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3986
Stephen Johnson wrote:
It's amazing how the libertarian "do your own thing" mentality co-exists so amicably with the "victim" mentality in our country today.

If steroids were legalized, many of the people screaming for their use today will be filing lawsuits tomorrow.


If that is so then they aren't libertarian.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group