ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HIIT??? Help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:17 pm 
former lurker

I got on the web site and read the information on HIIT but I just don't understand how doing just 4-15 min. ( to start of course ) can help me to lower my body fat % . It sounds great but I am just skeptical! I am one of those that think that you need to be doing cardio for an hour to see results. Does this really work and have you seen the proof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:41 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, Clarence , "Mr. Ripped" swears by it. See
http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Generally speaking, long duration moderate cardio burns more calories during exercise; HIIT burns more calories after exercise. Each has a place in a cardio training program.
Here is a bit of comparison from the research:

Long duration Moderate: burns a higher proportion of fat to calories during the moderate exercise; other benefits are increasing aerobic capacity and increasing cardio and respiratory endurance. It is the endurance training for your cardio vascular system.

HIIT: burns a higher proportion of fat to calories after cardio exersice (up to 6 hours); other benefits are- gives the largest increase in metabolism, increased cardio and respiratory output; it is the strength training for your cardio vascular system.

After 24 hours, the fat oxidation levels off to normal for both types of exercise. Both types of cardio exercise can lead to the loss of lean body mass; the way to avoid this is to keep your total fitness program balanced and to counter act the loss of lbm through resistance exercises.

Over time, HIIT will decrease fat mass more than straight moderate cardio will. That is over months and months, not weeks.

A balanced cardio training program addresses both goals: that of fat loss and that of strengthening your cardio vascular system.

I alternate the longer moderate with the HIIT. Because HIIT is so demanding, my old body can't tolerate it two days in a row. I save the low intensity stuff for the grocery store and the mall.

Keep working at the HIIT to build up your skill. You will progress and be pleasantly surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:32 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Northernbelle

That was the best summation of cardio exercise that I've read in a while. Kudos.

At the risk of being run out of the musclehead fraternity, I have to admit that I enjoy cardio - not while I'm doing it, but after I'm finished. The mood elevating effect afterwards makes up for the tedium during.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:34 am 

I have to agree, in fact you've motivated me to restart my failed cardio training. Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]