ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:34 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Dub Dub. Well, I keep getting the A's and B's confused, Lol, so let me state it this way, one of the II's functions mostly in the neurological rep range, i.e max strength, neuro drive, and takes uite a while to hypertrophy. The other one of the II's is more of a strength endurance type of fiber and functions well in the 40-70 seconds of work range, so roughly think in the 8-12 rep range, and hypertrophies relatively easy in relation to the other fibers, so if you're interested in the best of both world's, I'd do as you suggested, and periodically train each way.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:05 pm 

Yeah, so I think I've posted this elsewhere, or at least talked about it, this is the program I use for bench press:

http://www.eas.com/training/benchpress/index.asp

Which definitely seems to address both types of fast twitch fibers, and he suggests 'down time' or 'off periods' by which I think he means addressing slow twitch growth. It is very effective, and I recommend it for everyone. At least as far as beginners go (where I was the first time I used it) it works. I also modified it for my squat work, which seems to be working well so far.

I'll plan on doing some slow twitch when I finish my current iteration of the program in a few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:37 pm 
While I may go as low as 3 reps on major compound lifts, I've always used fairly high reps (often 10-12) for isolation exercises like dumbbell laterals, triceps extensions and most types of curl. These exercises just seem better suited to higher reps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:37 am 

DubDub wrote:
Yeah, so I think I've posted this elsewhere, or at least talked about it, this is the program I use for bench press...

For example, my bench press workout yesterday, which appears in my journal too, was:

warmup 155lbs
warmup 195lbs
1s 3r 230lbs
2s 1r 245lbs
1s neg 270

so you see, on this day I was training almost exclusively FTB fibers, but on my next workout I'll do:

necessary warmup sets,
1s 5r 215lbs
2s 3r 230lbs
1s to failure 235lbs

which looks a bit more like FTA fibers.

PS I just realized that my next next workout includes two attempts at 260lbs (one rep, obviously), wow, wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:29 am 
Good luck on the 260 Dub!

That seems like a hefty jump from the 2 sets of 1 at 245 though! Might be a bit much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:47 pm 

JeffD wrote:
Good luck on the 260 Dub!

That seems like a hefty jump from the 2 sets of 1 at 245 though! Might be a bit much.

Well 245 didn't really present any problem, but yeah, I feel 260 is a bit ambitious. I don't know though, maybe the negatives are doing their job!

Post subject: warren
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3