ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, Pete's got it right. Also on induction, most of your veggies are supposed to be from salad. I think it is 1 cup of other veggies and all the rest is salad. If you need more carbs you get even more veggies. I have a feeling the reason is so you take in quite a lot of lettuce, which should get your fiber intake high. Atkins was real big on fiber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 am 

Forgot about net carbs...final conclusion, your doing it wrong. haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:39 am 

Quote:
Low Carb vs. Atkins
You might be thinking of Atkins diet as you are reading my diet plan but there are differences and they should be clarified. Atkins is a low carb diet, but it is a different approach to a similar concept. The Atkins diet has 4 phases, Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), Pre-maintenance, Lifetime Maintenance. Induction is the most controversial part of the Atkins diet. This part lasts for generally 2 weeks and the carb intake is only a mere 20 carbs in a day. Things that can go wrong in this part are vitamin deficiencies, bowel issues, and carb crash. The only reason these problems will occur is if the diet is done wrong. It is very easy to do on Atkins. The book consists of 500 pages and you need to read and understand the whole thing to be able to safely and effectively do the diet. My version takes up the length of several pages. The Atkins approach during induction allows you to eat anything you want as long as you don’t pass the 20g of net carbs. You may be thinking, "wow that’s awesome, I can eat all I want", but it's not. Since all you really eat is meat you are getting an excess of saturated fat, which throws off the 1:1:1 ratio of fats (as stated below in greater detail), which should be avoided. My version you won’t have to worry about that, as long as you eat a wide variety of meat, some dairy, veggies, nuts you will be good to go.

I will give a brief explanation of the 3 other phases:
OWL comes after Induction and this is where you raise you net carb intake by 5g per week to find your “Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing” then stay at that level. After you get within 10lbs of your target weight you then move on to Pre-maintenance phase. This phase is where you raise you net carb intake by 10g per week until you find your "Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance". The last phase is Lifetime Maintenance, this phase is where you take all the things you have learned from the previous phases and apply them on a daily basis to keep the weight off. That is the ‘basic’ version of Atkins. That in my opinion is too complicated of a system to get weight to come off. But if you are up for reading the book and close to obsessively counting carbs then it will work as an effective diet plan.
Heres my new version Ironman, tell me what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I wouldn't say you have to obsessively count carbs. Also the 1:1:1 thing is just an ideal, you don't really have to do that. Plenty of people eat mostly saturated fat with no problems. The complexity of the Atkins diet is what makes it so effective and customizable. It's kind of like saying Linux isn't a good OS because it is too hard. You can make a diet that is easier to use than Atkins, and while it will be effective, it will probably fall short of the dramatic effects of the Atkins diet. What's the obsession with the Atkins diet anyway? You can make your own low carb diet without comparing it to Atkins, Protein Power or any other diet out there. I usually just tell people not to eat sugar, white flour, corn, potatoes and other high gi foods and keep the carbs at 40 grams per day. Add a multi and fish oil, plenty of water and some weight lifting and there you go.

Just throw your diet out there. There are still going to be people who are going to say, "Oh no, fat! We're all going to die!!!!" "You need carbs or your heart is going to explode!" But that's ok, people are starting to figure it out. The truth is getting out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 am 

Great job, and very helpful.

Two thoughts:

1. It has been my experience that people who lose weight the fastest seem to put it back on the fastest. I have a vague recollection of reading some research support for that, but it was a long time ago. Most people who have lost wt. with Adkins (or lots of other diets) have regained it. There are probably many reasons for this, the biggest being that people go on a diet without really making basic life-style changes, particularly in activity level. Also, the more that people feel like a diet deprives them of things that are important to them, the more willing they are to give it up. I think that "eat less of this" and "eat more of that" are more effect messages than "eliminate this" and "eat only that."

2. You start out by saying that people should see their doctor, etc., which is appropriate. Low carb eating is beneficial to many people with health problems. It is obviously good for diabetics. People with heart problems can certainly benefit from low-carb eating. In your comments about saturated fats and about cholesterol content, I know that you are speaking to basically healthy people. However, when you say, "Don't be worried about the cholesterol; as long as your diet is balanced and you are exercising continuously then there are no worries" you might want to add "unless your cholesterol is already high." Something similar for saturated fats.

Thanks for your work on this.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
1. It has been my experience that people who lose weight the fastest seem to put it back on the fastest.
There are probably many reasons for this, the biggest being that people go on a diet without really making basic life-style changes, particularly in activity level.

Essentially what people do is go on a diet, lose some weight, and then figure "okay, the diet is over, I can go back to eating what I ate before and not exercising and stay at this new weight." People have a remarkable disconnect between their activity and eating habits and the results of those habits. Most people basically want a diet and exercise program that lets them eat what they eat now in the same amounts and exercise as little as they usually do, but that magically makes them smaller.

To quote the Simpsons:

Dr. Nick Riviera: "With my new diet, you can eat as much as you want, any time you want."
Marge Simpson: "And you'll lose weight?"
Dr. Nick Riviera: "You might! It's a free country!"

I figure that's really the diet plan people want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am 

Quote:
1. It has been my experience that people who lose weight the fastest seem to put it back on the fastest.

This is not meant as a fast weightloss diet approach.
Quote:
I have a vague recollection of reading some research support for that, but it was a long time ago. Most people who have lost wt. with Adkins (or lots of other diets) have regained it.
Atkins you are suppose to be precise with the amount of carbs you stick to after you are done with the weightloss phase. Also a good amount of people forget that you can't only do cardio to maintain weightloss, you need weight training. I use to weigh 240lbs I got down to a chubby 180lb now I have been putting on muscle while not putting on fat. I can eat as much as I use to and I won't gain weight.
Quote:
Also, the more that people feel like a diet deprives them of things that are important to them, the more willing they are to give it up. I think that "eat less of this" and "eat more of that" are more effect messages than "eliminate this" and "eat only that."
I know Silly Sally likes a fudgsicle at 2 pm everyday and Big Bob likes chicken wings during sporting events on sundays but its not realistic to say you can have all that stuff still but just less of it on a daily basis. It's to vague & I know how you say it's more everybody friendly but to lenient for a diet. If the foods you love to eat are more important than your desire to lose weight then maybe you arn't ready to change your lifestyle. If you view #32 you can have those 'important foods' but you should use them as a reward.

Quote:
In your comments about saturated fats and about cholesterol content, I know that you are speaking to basically healthy people. However, when you say, "Don't be worried about the cholesterol; as long as your diet is balanced and you are exercising continuously then there are no worries" you might want to add "unless your cholesterol is already high." Something similar for saturated fats.
Because of my disclaimer I am speaking to everybody, if you decide to do this diet and do it right which means eat balanced like plenty of veggies fruits fats etc. and don't have a predisposition to high ldl then there is nothing to worry about. All of that will be changed if you do it right. There is the correct low-carb approach and wrong. Right way is eat carbs consisting of veggies w/ lean meats. Bad way is you eat five sausages for dinner or 20 deep fried chicken wings and have no veggies because you want no carbs in your diet. You arn't really getting that much sat fat/ldl on this diet if done correctly, you prolly get more on your 'normal' diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 am 

Oh so I don't sound stuck up or w/e thx for the comments. I'm glad to see you found the approach to be effective/helpful. Anymore questions or suggestions all feel free to chime in (even a year from now after that is posted!) since my concept probably won't change all that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:08 am 

Well, I'll probably argue with you from time to time. I can tell that you won't be shy about arguing back!

You and everyone on this forum have been a great resource for me.

This morning I reached a personal milepost. I weighed in at 188#, which is 40# off my personal high of 228# last August. Most of this I attribute to the difference in life-style here in PNG (less prepared food, no real fast food, more activity in general) as compared to when we are in the US (on the road so not cooking for ourselves, no access to weights most of the time, failure to use other means to work out). But also, a lot of the more recent loss is due to my committing to eating more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:14 pm 

On the subject of low-carb, Mark Sisson has recently published his guide to grains: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:12 pm 

I just had a chance to really read that article. Nicely done, very informative and is more information that can argue against conventional wisdom that grains are good for you and neccissary as apart of a healthy diet. In version 2.0 I will try to incorporate that information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should read Good Calorie Bad Calorie and watch Fat Head too. Those have a lot of great information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 pm 

Ironman wrote:
You should read Good Calorie Bad Calorie and watch Fat Head too. Those have a lot of great information.

Well I just took a look at the description for the movie fat head and it appears to be interesting stuff...

This book?
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad ... 063&sr=8-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that's the one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

Anti-Diet Foods
The foods to avoid: popcorn ??

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next