ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pain in Arm
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:47 pm 
When I am doing standing dumbell curls I get this pain on the inside of my upper arm while I am raising the dumbell. How can I stop this from happening? Am I overtraining? Should I warm-up and stretch before exercising? If so, how do you warm-up and stretch these muscles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Does the pain occur on warm-up sets or work sets? Does the same thing happen when you do barbell curls or any other exercise that involves flexing the elbow?? Does the arm bother you any other time of the day? Were you struck on the arm recently? Did you ever have an injury to that part of your arm? Is the pain dull or sharp?

You have to give more info to get this pinned down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:37 pm 
Stephen Johnson wrote:
Does the pain occur on warm-up sets or work sets? Does the same thing happen when you do barbell curls or any other exercise that involves flexing the elbow?? Does the arm bother you any other time of the day? Were you struck on the arm recently? Did you ever have an injury to that part of your arm? Is the pain dull or sharp?

You have to give more info to get this pinned down.

i don't do warm-up sets. i don't use a barbell and it happens when i do preacher, standing hammer, and standing dumbell curls. these are the only exercises i do that involve flexing the elbow. my arm doesn't bother me unless i am doing these exercises. i wasn't struck on the arm recently and i've never had an injury to that part of my arm. the pain is sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

How long does the pain last? If you have injured the arm/elbow, then you should wait until the pain goes away before exercising it again. If the pain persists, see a doctor.

Do you do compound movements before the biceps exercises? It could be that the arm is tired by the time you get to this part of your routine.

You should try to do one set at 60% as a warm up set. That way the muscles are warmed up before you try to lift heavy. Are you lifting too heavy?

Check your form. Are you swinging your elbow? Are you jerking the weight?

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:39 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Quote:
i don't use a barbell and it happens when i do preacher, standing hammer, and standing dumbell curls. these are the only exercises i do that involve flexing the elbow.

You don't do any back exercises?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:48 am 
Its possible you might be seriously overtraining your biceps...how many exercises for them are you doing in 1 session??? I hope you arent doing all 3 of the ones you mentioned..

I used to get a dull ache around my elbow, but mine came after a night of armwrestling. Took a while for that go away..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:52 pm 
I said I didn't injure my arm or elbow. I also don't do any compound exercises before doing the dumbbell exercises, this includes back exercises. I also think I am practicing good form, I'm doing the exercises fairly slow and in a controlled manner. I do do all three of those exercises in one session also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:05 pm 
oh yeah, the pain only lasts while i am actually flexing and going through the exercise. it goes away once i release tension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Quote:
I also don't do any compound exercises before doing the dumbbell exercises, this includes back exercises.

Do you do any back exercises in your workouts? I wanted to know if you felt the pain during compound pulling movements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 am 
no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:44 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

No to the pain, or to the back exercises?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 am 
Given that he's doing 3 biceps exercises and also doesnt do any warmup sets at all, my instinct says he probably does zero back exercises...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:00 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

JeffD wrote:
Given that he's doing 3 biceps exercises and also doesnt do any warmup sets at all, my instinct says he probably does zero back exercises...

I'm getting that feeling too, although I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 pm 
i'm not doing any back exercises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:07 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Anonymous wrote:
i'm not doing any back exercises

If you think that doing a lot of curls is going to give you big arms, you're fooling yourself. Spot growth, like spot reduction, is a myth. If it wasn't, you would see hordes of gym rats with giant arms and roadkill backs and chicken legs. If you were to gain 7 - 10 lbs of muscular weight, your arms would probably grow an inch. But you can't do that just by doing isolation exercises like curls. You have to train the whole body - including the back - with compound exercises,. Then you have to make dietary changes to support the growth.

Hopefully, you won't injure yourself before you see the light and start a total body exercise program.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next