ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, I figured I'd write down my normal schedule as of late, and see what people think. It's loosely based on one of Exrx's 4 day templates, but I've modified quite a bit, as far as how they're split up.

A few notes:
- I'm 22 years old, 6'3", 185lbs. Started training about a year and a half ago, took time off from it last Sept-Dec because I was heavy into the wall climbing.
- Been drinking protein drinks before and after each workout for a few months
- I'll typically go to the gym 4-5 times a week, so this is basically a weekly routine
- I grouped back/triceps and chest/biceps on purpose instead of the 'normal' grouping because it makes each workout a little more well rounded
- I have a full day set for shoulders because it's definately my weakness, and I've been having some problems with them, as mentioned in another thread
- I tend to stick to dumbell exercises for the chest workout because I'm hoping to improve my shoulder stability, as well as get a better left/right balance
- I hate the leg curl machine, so suggestions as to how to get rid of it are welcomed
-The order is not necessarily as it's given - especially with the shoulder workout, I'll do one set of each for several rotations, or change the order completely
- I do a few sets of inclined twisting crunches during every workout
- I hope to get back into running now that the sidewalks aren't icy, and that will hopefully happen a few times a week.

Workout A: Back & Triceps
Deadlift
Cable Pulldown
Seated Row
Cable Pushdown
Dumbbell Tricep Extension

Workout B: Chest & Biceps
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Incline Press
Incline Flys
Hammer Curls
Bar Curls
Preacher Curls

Workout C: Legs
Full Squats
Leg Curls (Machine)
Standing Calf Raise
Side Bend
Trunk Twist

Workout D: Shoulders
Shrugs
Military Press
Rear Delt Row
Upright Row
Front Raise

Any comments/criticisms/recommendations are welcome. A formal routine isn't something I've really focussed on, but I hope to start paying more attention to my progress, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 am 
Try straight leg deadlifts or glute ham raises instead of leg curls.

Really the worst thing about it is the split. a lot of double work. Your chest in particular is going to suffer. But hey, to each his own. Normally I would say no flys, but maybe you need them with that split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:11 am 
I think you'd be better off combining chest and triceps... and back and biceps. I definitely dont like the idea of working your triceps the day before you'll be doing chest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:48 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean by double work, Ironman. If it's the fact that I'm working both biceps/triceps on two different days, that was intentional.

I used to do chest/triceps on the same day, but a friend of mine suggested trying them switched, and I've prefered it. The chest and back workouts are enough that I don't want to exercise their compatible muscles (triceps and biceps, respectively) on the same day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 pm 
I wouldn't do deadlifts the day before anything, since the erectors act as stabilizers for just about everything and seem to take longer than other muscles to recover from a hard workout. I prefer to do deadlifts on Fridays so I have the whole weekend to rest and recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

for the hams instead of curls you can try this
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/CBStandingLegCurl.html
or this
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]