ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: deadlift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:14 pm 
That link only said that deadlifting is bad for the back if not done correctly(keeping back straight). I think deadlift is a great excercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 pm 
Reguarding box squats ..... You can do the exact same lift a lot more safely without a bench under you. If you have any difficulty judging the depth, you can set the pegs in a squat cage to the desired height. Then if you miss a rep you can walk away from it.

Most of the people I've seen squatting this way weren't using a spotter, and even a good spotter may not be able to react in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:05 pm 
Those types of articles really irritate me. ALL exercises are dangerous if done incorrectly! I once watched a guy DESTROY his lower back doing what he called "power curls".

Deadlifting is the single best weightlifting movement you can do. If i could only do one movement for the rest of my life, it would be the deadlift. Die all who say it is evil!

Box squats are very effective and not dangerous at all if done correctly - i prefer doing them with medicine ball as it allows you a little play in your depth without the risk of jarring your spine. An even better alternative is bottom position squats - place the bar on blocks, pins, workhorses, hanging from a rafter by chains (whatever), such that the bar is in the bottom position of your squat. Squeeze underneath it and drive the bar up. Best way of squatting to develop out of the hole explosiveness and power. I squat this way and only this way and have noticed a significant improvement in the frequency with which i record gains/new pr's in a standard squat off the hooks. I have also noticed an improved carry-over to the oly lifts since going this route. Also, you need no spotter with bottom position squats, you know right away if there is too much weight on the bar - it won't budge and therefore, it won't squash you!

-Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:27 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hey Hoister. Interesting that you should mention bottom position squats. That and using the staggered stance (B squat) are about the only ways I can do them anymore with all the artitus in my hip. Another twist on that, is what I've seen over at the sports training center in the local area, and that is bottom position front squats with chains, which can really train some acceleration. The closer to finish you get, the heavier the bar is.
As to who decides what is dangerous, oh well. Who knows. I can remember the first time I did the old York 3 course in a commercial gym. The warm up was muscle snatches from the floor. Not too many odd looks. @nd was one arm BB jerks from the rack. Got a few weird looks on that one. 3rd was 1 arm BB snatches. Got tossed by the manager on that one.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:56 pm 

Well Matt, I completely agree that there is no reason to do a box squat to judge depth.

The point is to break the motion into two parts where you have to start from a dead stop much as you would in a deadlift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28 pm 
I have nothing against bottom position squats. I just think straddling a bench puts a person in a very precarious position. Meanwhile, considering there are much safer ways to accomplish the same ends, why take chances?

PS.) None of the people I've seen squat this way paused at the bottom. All of them seemed to be using the bench merely to judge depth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:39 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The way I've alway seen box squats done (and done box squats) was with a very controlled motion in which minimal impact would occur when the glutes contacted the surface. While some people often do box squats with significantly greater weight than they might use for a normal squat, I tend to only slightly increase the weight and use a box that puts me at just below parallel at the bottom of the motion, this gives me a great stretch in a controlled fashion that puts less stress on my knees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:48 am 

I just dont see what is so dangerous about the position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am 
TimD - i tried the B squat stance for awhile and found it bothered my knees. Might be my technique, not sure. As for the chains idea, i use that from time to time and agree it is very effective.

LOL - As for getting tossed from a commercial gym - try loading a 300lb barbell onto your shoulders and then walking around the gym with it! These commercial gyms should really post thier stance on yoke-walks - sheesh!

-Hoister

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2