ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Input on new routine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I have scrambled a new routine together. It goes like this:

All exercises are completed with 5x5

Day 1:

Barbell Squat
Barbell Military Press
Weighted Triceps/Chest Dip

Day 2:

Barbell Deadlift
Barbell Benchpress
Weighted Close Grip chin-up

I don't want any isolation exercises. I focus on big compound movements. Any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 pm 
Give yourself at least one full rest day between workouts if your not already. Also, you might want to substitute some kind of rows for dips, since you have three upper-body push movements and only one upper body pull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yeah sorry I didn't make myself clear on that point. Of course I will have rest days between each session.

Rows for dips? Can you clarify that one, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:43 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I'm not Matt, but I'm sure he's referring to getting something in for the back, and I agree. I like your setup, but here's how I have and would do it. Squats, BP, Row Day 1
A few days later, come back with DL, Overhead press, Chest dips and Curl grip chins.
tim You've got everything covered that way.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
Well, I'm not Matt, but I'm sure he's referring to getting something in for the back, and I agree. I like your setup, but here's how I have and would do it. Squats, BP, Row Day 1
A few days later, come back with DL, Overhead press, Chest dips and Curl grip chins.
tim You've got everything covered that way.
Tim

Alright. Is rows equal to cable seated row or what are your suggestions? BOR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:14 pm 
n00b
n00b

I was just wondering. Aren't dips and bent-over-rows supplementative to benchpress, military press and deadlift? I mean are they necessary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

this is a really good workout plan. And its also really good that ur doing 5x5 with ur exercises. Its the best and fastest way to build strength and muscle. I think its better to do 4x4 or 4x5 because you'll probably get more with lower reps however but its still great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:29 pm 

WTSGD wrote:
I was just wondering. Aren't dips and bent-over-rows supplementative to benchpress, military press and deadlift? I mean are they necessary?

Hi. Yes, they are supplementive , but let's look a rows (thinkd seated cable rows, or bent over barbell rows, I prefer the bent over barbell row, but use what you have, it's the same motion). The DL does in fact get your mid back, but it's primarily a lower body hip/ham movement. The rows are primarily upper body pull, but in a different plane of movement from chins/pullups. Having them in is a good thing. As to the chest dips/tricep dips, well, it's on the same day as overhead press, so the shoulder girdle is getting priority on this day. The dips just reinforc e your tricep strength and effect the chest in a lighter day. I'd keep them all in, keeps everything all well balanced out.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Just the answer I needed. Thank you everybody.

I am going to start this routine tomorrow after a week of deconditioning :)

BTW nice forum. Very serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:35 pm 
In my opinion either barbell or dumbbell rows would be preferable to cable rows, but any one of the above will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:33 pm 

I am no expert at deadlifting, but isn't 5x5 a bit much for that? I think it's standard to do something more like 4x3... with more weight than you would use for 5x5. Just something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:36 am 
n00b
n00b

DubDub wrote:
I am no expert at deadlifting, but isn't 5x5 a bit much for that? I think it's standard to do something more like 4x3... with more weight than you would use for 5x5. Just something to consider.

No it isn't too much. 5x5 is great because it gives you a greater workload and it increses the strain on the muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 am 

Well, the 5X5 can be interpreted in many ways, The way Starr described it in "The Strongest Shall Survive - Strength Training for Football", he had you using progressively heavier weights each set up to the last one or two work sets. Another method is to take 2-3 warm up sets, progressively heavier , and use 3 top work sets. Go with what works for you. Also, as to the 3's, well Starr even recommends this when getting up into heavy stuff, especially on cleans and DL's. A progression may look like this; 5,5,5,3,3,1-3. Again, the original poster's basic idea is solid, just nterpret it as needed once you get to the point that it might be necessary to get down to 3's.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:00 pm 
DubDub wrote:

Nah...I go as high as 7x5, but thats the only exercise ill do the whole workout so thats probably why i can get away with it.

Post subject: murphy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:33 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]