ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What exactly is HIIT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 pm 

Does it stand for high intensity training? thats all i could come up with i looked around and i just kept seeing HIIT no idea. Thanks.

John Corless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:24 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

HIIT- High Intensity Interval training. a type of anaerobic, aerobic conditioning combination of training. Look here on the site off the main page, there is a link to it under aerobics and weight loss managment. Do a search on it and spell it out. Lots of articles showing how to do it, it;s effects on fat loss vs regular target heart rate aerob ics. it's basically bursts of sprinting (think high intensity using any medium, be it running, swimming, elliotical, or even weights like DB swings) intespersed with jogging. Because of it's intensity, usually 10-20 mins bout are done.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

High Intensity Interval Training

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is there and echo in here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 am 

ECHO echo......echo.... haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 pm 

Regular endurance training improves performance during tasks that rely mainly on aerobic energy metabolism, in large by increasing the body's ability to transport and use oxygen and altering substrate metabolism by working skeletal muscle. In contrast, high-intensity "sprint"-type training is generally believed to have less of an effect on oxidative energy metabolism and endurance capacity. HOWEVER, many studies have shown that a sufficient volume of high-intensity interval training or HIT, performed for at least 6 weeks, increases peak oxygen uptake and the maximal activity of mitochondrial enzymes in skeletal muscle. Recent evidence suggests that a number of metabolic adaptations usually associated with a traditional high-volume endurance training can be induced faster with a suprisingly small volume of HIT.

What is HIT? HIT generally refers to repeated sessions of relatively brief intermittent exercise, often performed with an "all-out" effort or at an intensity close to that which elicits VO2peak (aka VO2 max). Depending on the training intensity, a single effort can last anywhere from a few seconds up to several minutes with multiple efforts separated by a few minutes of rest or low intensity exercise. HIT is generally performed with bodyweight activities such as cycling or running.

The most remarkable finding about HIT is that it rapidly improves exercise capacity (performance) during tasks that rely mainly on aerobic energy metabolism (so anything that's not near maximal intensity exercise). This can be due either to peripheral adaptations (changes in the working muscles) and/or an increased VO2 max (note that VO2 max increases only with higher work volumes of HIT but the peripheral adaptations can take place in as little as 2 weeks with only 5-minute long HIT sessions).

Training with a high work volume of HIT will lead to peripheral adaptations, VO2 max increases, and increased capacity for fat oxidation.

In one study of college age men and women that were not athletes but were all healthy, skeletal muscle adaptations occured with only 6 5-minute sessions of HIT over the course of 2 weeks leading to improved muscle oxidative capacity (a 20% increase). In another study using a similar group of subjects, the study found that subjects performing HIT were relatively equal to subjects who did the same exercise but at lower intensities for a continuous prolonged period of time, proving that HIT is more efficient because of the shorter training volume required to elicit the "same" response in mitochondrial content (which is key for aerobic exercise) as endurance-training.

These changes are most likely due to the high level of muscle fiber recruitment and greater potential to stress Type II fibers, though the exact mechanisms are unclear (I am quoting a study that just arrived in the mail today).

The studies and information I'm paraphrasing here is based on studies that were conducted for 6 weeks, if there is a change in adaptation after 6 weeks between HIT and continuous lower-intensity training remains to be seen. Personally, I doubt that there is a difference-as long as you're still doing your HIT at increasing intensity you should see the same physiological adaptations that are seen with endurance-training. However there is of course a lot to be said about HIT in terms of safety, it is not as unsafe as people think it is, however you do need to be healthy to do this because this will stress the hell out of your cardiovascular system, it will raise your blood pressure, heart rate, etc. (during the high-intensity exercise) so if you're at risk or have CAD, heart disease, CVD, etc. this likely isn't the best exercise choice for you. (I say this last part for anyone that stumbles on this, I'm sure you can do this John.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

I have a quick question with regards to HIIT.......

what do you guys think about doing the easy parts as running/walk/jog and then the intense part as fast boxing or even on a vasa trainer (swimming equipment)?

would this defeat the purpose of HIIT or would it work?

was thinking like 20-30 secs intense then 60-90 easy?

is this along the lines of the HIIT priciples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Should work. I've done Tabata intervals, in this case 30 seconds/15 seconds, with 30 seconds of jumping, sprawling, heavy bag work, etc. and the 15 seconds is shadowboxing.

No reason mixing the exercises wouldn't work...I can't see how it defeats the purpose, either. You keep your activity level up in between the hard intervals, does it really matter if it's jogging and boxing instead of jogging and running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm 
n00b
n00b

thats what i thought, just thought i would get a second/third/forth opinion.

been doing some reading on this stuff and sounds like you could make it super intense..........mwhahahahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:40 am 

A couple of the kettlebell types over at Dragondoor do this alot, so no, there shouldn't be any problems. They call it High Octane Cardio (HOC). Basically they set up two KB's about 30-50 yards apart, do some swings, jog aover to the therm do some thrusters, jog back and do something else, etc. Bag work should be like doing the same thing, just a different form of intensity using different mediums, but having the same effect.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

HIIT is the best way to lose fat from personal experience. I've been doing it about a month, though its very hard on me, so I usually find myself doing it 3 days a week and standard cardio 2 days "like bike riding". My standard method is 90 second bouts, brought back down to 90 second rest periods "jog/fast walk". I measure my success based on # of bouts, with a personal best of 7 bouts at 90 secs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

When people say "volume" in regards to weight lifting... what are they talking about?

lol sry
<-- noob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:28 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

lightningsix wrote:
When people say "volume" in regards to weight lifting... what are they talking about?

lol sry
<-- noob

It's the amount of work done.

Flat Benchpress 3 Sets x 8 Reps (24 reps)
Incline Benchpress 3x8 (24 reps)
Dips 3x10 (30 reps)
Triceps Extension 3x8 (24 reps)

That's a volume of 102 total reps for a Push type routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:01 pm 

I thought volume is defined as reps x sets x weight. What is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:01 am 

Doc, you're right. Chris is right too, just not as precise. The weight does factor into volume.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next