ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:39 pm 
You may see some results from curls alone, especially if you have good genetics, but you'll get much better results from a combination of pulldowns, rows and curls. Also, even if you could build big arms without a big back, chest and delts, why would you want to? Wouldn't you rather be proportional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Anonymous wrote:
i'm not doing any back exercises

well that is a problem but do what you will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tend to question Stephen's assertion that you can't spot grow a muscle group, this is just based on the numerous roid heads in my gym that work upper 4 times a week and look like inverted pyramids (shoulders too big to fit through doors but legs that look like they would be at home on a 150 kid).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:08 pm 
I've seen a lot of guys like also, but there is a bit of a difference between developing your entire upper body and developing just one muscle like the biceps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:08 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you can't spot grow, then there isn't much difference between a big upper body/tiny lower body and just one/a few big muscles in the upper body IMHO. But, I've also seen guys who really like shoulders for some reason and spend most of their time doing shoulder work without much else and they end up being super wide at the shoulders but have absolutely no depth.

Anyway, I recall reading a research article sometime back that stated that if you lifted one side of the body (one arm/leg/whatever) the other side would show 40% of the gains actualized by the other. This has me think that while it would be impossible to do, say, curls exclusively without showing some sort of development in the rest of the body but, you would have disproportionately large biceps compared to the rest of your body. A possible counterexample/partial counterexample might be a sprinter, their entire body often exhibits a large amount of muscular hypertrophy when they probably spend a minimal amount of time on muscles that aren't essential to the process of sprinting. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 pm 
A lot of sprinters do olympic lifts, which are really full body exercises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:17 pm 
Also, it was Stephen who said the spot growth was a myth, not me. All I said was that it would be very difficult to develop really big arms without also developing the chest, back and delts to some extent.

Post subject: Daniel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2