ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disturbing Moment...
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm surrounded by friends, family, and coworkers who want to "lose weight" Every day I overhear bad dietary information and exercise advice being passed around. Sometimes it's just a small comment that suggests complete ignorance, but it still drives me nuts.

But this was the worst... I went out to dinner with my mother's family, which included a suprise visit from my grandmother. We didn't think she'd make it because of her sickness... She survived breast cancer ten years ago, only to have it spread to her bones. It's essentially terminal. Despite this, she maintains a positive attitude. My mother, on the other hand, never maintains a positive attitude. She often complains about her weight, but does little about it other than take shortcuts like the Alli pill (disgusting).

So at one point my grandmother, responding to a question about how she's been feeling, commented that she'd lost 4 lbs. My mother, without looking up, said, "Good for you."

Uh, no, mom. That's actually not good. Apparently her train of thought was, "Losing weight is always good because then you look like the people on TV." Maybe it's also a kneejerk reaction... like you get used to women at the office commenting that they've lost 5 lbs by not eating carbs or taking diet pills or smearing olestra on cupcakes, and you become programmed to say, "Good for you."

There's still a huge fixation on "losing weight," rather than "burning fat" and "being healthy," that involves as much self-coddling, convenience, and aversion to effort as possible. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being a sucker for not trying to cash in on the ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:23 pm 

If you know how to cash in on it let me know. I'll be your partner in crime. The names John Corless. Ha ha. People are fat becuase they have an abundance of food and not enough things to do. And think they can sit still and lose weight.. yea.. not too bright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:35 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It bugs me as well. Day in and day out you hear people say they want to “lose weight”. I just want to scream, “No you don’t, you want to lose FAT!”

Next time you’re around someone that says they want to lose weight, tell them to cut off one of their arms. Doing so should drop their weight by about 20lbs or so instantly! :twisted: