ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hitting the gym is serious business. But let's be honest, there are times when it can be downright hilarious. I bumped into a couple of links regarding funny and/or embarrassing moments in the gym. Read these for a good laugh, then feel free to share your own funny or embarrassing moments.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/kenny5.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weik36.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Here’s a funny moment from many years ago. Me, a co-worker and his roommate were working out at the company gym. Since it was a company gym, it was pretty laid back, and they even let the regulars play their own music. My friend was something of a cut-up and loved music, so he often mad his own mix tapes to play. On this day, he had a new, high intensity mix with a little surprise. We were all Andrews Dice Clay fans, so my buddy had mixed in a small clip of one of Clay’s “screaming orgasm” yells between songs.

The gym was rather quiet with only 5 or so other people in there. We hit the weights and the mix tape was playing. We were all psyched and working hard. My buddy’s roommate (the biggest guy in our group) was on the bench going really heavy. My buddy was spotting and I was at the foot of the bench. As the roommate is repping out, I see my buddy starting to smile and even snicker. I wasn’t sure why. Then, the current song ended and suddenly Andrew Dice Clay screams throughout the gym. My buddy nearly fell down laughing, his roommate lost it and the bar came down on his chest, and I’m laughing so hard I can’t get to him to help him out.

Behind me, there is a huge guy doing Superset DB Rows going from 120lb down to 50lb. He was on the 90s when the scream happened and he completely lost control and the DB came out of his hand and crashing down. I thought the guy was gonna be peeved since he knew it was our tape that was playing, but he was laughing so hysterically that he had to sit down. We finally got the bar of our buddy, and he was still laughing as we racked the weight for him.

I suppose you had to be there, but damn that was hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I remember being at a commercial gym once (Cosmos I think). I had just joined the place, and was in the back on a seated row near the squat racks. This young, tall, lanky kid comes in and puts a bar in the squat rack and then begins to add weight.

As I watched, he added a pair of 35s, then 25s, then 10s, then 5s, then 2.5s and no collars. I was curious about his plate choices. Why didn’t he just grab the 45s and decrease the number of plates? What was he doing? Did he just like the look of the descending diameters of the plates or what?

He gets under the bar and unracks it. He takes a few shaky steps out from the rack and then I knew what was up. As soon as he cleared the bars, the left side titled sharply down. With no collars, all the plates just slide right off the bar - BANG! With the left side unloaded, the right sided was attacked by gravity and dove downward spilling all the plates - BANG.

In just under 1 second, he had completely unloaded the bar with his side to side tilts and he just stood their wide eyed and open mouthed holding the empty bar. Obviously he just wanted some “cool looking” weight on the bar and had no idea what he was about to get himself into.

To his credit, he picked up all the plates and put them back on the trees before moving on to the PecDec machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:23 pm 

HAHAHAHAHA That is hilarious! I have never had weight slide off but once it did get stuck on my chest and had to wait for about 3 minutes for someone to help me! That is just tooooo funny.

One thing I did fairly recently while at the gym was upright rows. I tried it on the cable cross over machine and had a straight bar attachment. I had like 45 on there and thought it would be heavy. So I gave it a hard tug and then in turn blasted myself in the lip and the nose and made my lip bleed. It was hilarious. I added more weight after haha. And did controlled upright pulls. HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

In my infinite wisdom, as I was moving to a new exercise, I once unloaded all the weights on the left side of my barbell. Naturally, the right side still had all of its weight.

As that last plate came off, the right side sank down and the left side shot up and popped me in the chin. Luckily, I had the collar on, so the plates stayed on the bar as it slid from the rack. But, the shock of getting hit by the upward thrust of the bar caused me to drop the last plate....nearly on my own feet. Brilliant I tell you, just brilliant! :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

I had one today. I had occasion to work out at Penn State's gym as a guest. They have actual olympic weights and platforms, so I was taking advantage of it. I was doing snatches, and missed a lift (certainly not the first time). What was different was that the bar fell behind me and the top of my butt (pelvis) had not quite completely cleared the path of the bar. I got a pretty nice 52kg glancing blow and some broken blood vessels. Seems like I'm fine aside from that. Kind of embarrassing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 am 

Nice..... I still want to do the snatch but I fear it. You have to now adays :wink: I workout at a fitness center with a big blue light and a siren/alarm that lights up if you drop the weights... haha good stuff though at least your doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 am 

Quote:
Nice..... I still want to do the snatch but I fear it. You have to now adays I workout at a fitness center with a big blue light and a siren/alarm that lights up if you drop the weights... haha good stuff though at least your doing it.
My membership would last more than a day there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:35 am 

Yea thats why I'm thinking of going to a new gym the thing with this one is i can get unlimited tanning and when I get to competition size tanning is our friend. lol Plus their d bells only go up to 75 and I need more for both dbell rows and dbell bench press and seemingly pretty soon over head presses. Only time will tell.

That is a pain in the A$$ though when I'm doing deadlifts I have to come down reaaaalllly slow so I don't bang the weights that is more than irritating and think at a different gym I could be more productive and lift more weights. blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm actually starting to order some personal bumper plates slowly now and keep them at my workplace gym. I probably get a slight break on shipping, because they have to come freight, and nonresidential delivery is cheaper as I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I was at the gym today and an old man was thrusting his pelvis forward on the top of every squat. And by squat I mean having the bar go down about 10 inches, back up, thrust pelvis after reaching the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:56 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Maybe he misunterstood the term Squat-Thrust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:25 am 

LOL. Those are good links, too.

Once, when dead lifting, I would of been doing something like 10 sets of 2, or 8 sets of 3. I was on my last few sets. I was getting set up, and quickly dropped down into position and heard a big ripping sound... My heart sank as I waited for a slight breeze from the air conditioning to hit my a$$.

BUT - false alarm, it was just my boxers. It was a stupid choice of underwear for training anyway, because of the material. I practically ripped them in half when I bent down for the deadlift. Everything else was ok, though, so I wasn't 'exposed'.

Lesson learned: Whatever your choice of underwear, make sure it's 'stretchy'.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Just read this thread! These are hilarious! Only thing I can think of right didn't happen to me. I was working out one day and I hear this really horrible singing and I'm thinking what in the world, so I ask some other guys if they hear it too so I can determine where it's coming from. We finally look over and there's this guy on an eliptical machine with headphones on just singing away like no one else was there.

Another time, I saw this guy come in that I had never seen before. He was very vocal when working out, alot of grunting and what not, but I got near him to use a piece of equipment and realized he was talking to himself and pumping himself up by looking in the mirror and pounding his chest. I think he might have been a little disturbed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Saw something really funny at the gym last night

These 2 kids come into the free weights area of the gym. I watch them go over to one of the weight racks and each one grabs about 4 5 lb weights, and 6 2.5 weights. They take all of this over to a bench and load up the barbell. One of the kids gets under the weight and explains to his friend

"Im going to do one rep and then when I reach the top of the rep you have to take 5lb's off." I had supress a chuckle in my belly when I hear that one. So I watch them do a set. First kid can only get the weight done about half way, and needs his friend to help him lift the weight back up. He locks out for 15 seconds or so while his spotter takes the weight off. This goes on for about 5 minutes and both kids do them once.