ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:31 pm 
For some reason, when I'm training at the gym, I tend to train more productively and for longer duration, whereas at home, I tend to get tired more easily.

Is it a psycological issue? at home, I have all the required equipment and space. I eat the right stuff in the right time before a workout.

Is anyone else like this?
Any explanations for this?

My gym membership expires soon and I'm not willing to pay for renewal because I already have the equipment at home.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:36 pm 

If it is psychological, it might be a matter of lighting, most commercial gyms are extremely well lit places, whereas your home gym may be part of the garage or basement, and much darker. More light, even artificial, could make you more awake during your workout...

It's just a hypothesis, plus your home gym may not be somewhere dark...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:00 pm 
Actually, the lighting in my basement is quite darker compared to the gym.

I don't know why, but the atmosphere at the gym just makes me feel better than my home gym. I don't think it's because of all the other people around though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

i cant workout at home, my dog always smells my crotch or pits when in the middle of a move or my son tries to climb on me, and if i lock him out he gets pissed. then my wife nags that i should be playing with him or doing chores. so if im at the gym then i only have to fight over the gear with other gym "buffs".
but most of all our place is small right now for me to have a work out room.
i really like working out at home and at the gym both are good for dif reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm 
Lighting and music can make a difference. Also, mirrors are nice, not because I think your vain, but rather because you can check your form visually and see your muscles working. Finally, you can feed of the energy of other people working out around you, even if your not in competion with anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:04 pm 

Yeah I've been realizing how much mirrors would help at my old High School's weight room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Eric wrote:
i cant workout at home, my dog always smells my crotch or pits when in the middle of a move or my son tries to climb on me, and if i lock him out he gets pissed. then my wife nags that i should be playing with him or doing chores.
LOL! Hilarious, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:02 pm 

I think it may be that you motivated yourself to drive to the gym so you owe it to yourself to have a good workout.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Every month maxim has a section of random statistics. Last month one of the statistics was the following:

"The average american can bench press 41 more lbs while somebody is watching them."

I go to a public gym and I generally do pretty well. I tried working out in my buddies home gym and I feel unproductive, I generally don't push myself as much, etc etc.

I'm a newbie to the gym so I could be wrong about it - but that's what I've noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 pm 

I agree with that assessment. I get caught up in it too sometimes.I think it's human nature to show off. As long as you don't overdo it and get hurt. I also think it's just being around other lifters and maybe feeling motivated to lift more weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Of course there are also no couches, recliners, televisions, computers or telephones in most weight rooms (although you do occationally see idiots talking on cell phones between sets).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Matt Z wrote:
Of course there are also no couches, recliners, televisions, computers or telephones in most weight rooms (although you do occationally see idiots talking on cell phones between sets).

My cell phone is what I use to listen to music at the gym...

and i hate it when people call me there haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I workout better at the gym also. In college, I'd take a book, go to the library, and read it there. Why? Because what else do you do in libraries?

Also, you may have a "fully equipped gym," but do you have dumbbells that go from 10 lbs. up to 150 lbs.? A Smith machine? etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:18 pm 

I workout better at home. I generally perform better on my own - I can concentrate better, I don't get distracted by new stuff or people walking around...I can put on my own music and not worry about getting headphones or whatever. Everything is always queued up for me the way I like it. I never need to slog to the gym, either, just go downstairs and lift. I had all the gear I needed, and I did better without people observing me.

When I need to study, I don't go to a library...too many interesting books. I go to a restaraunt or coffee shop, get a comfortable seat and start reading or doing my work. Heh. Wrote most of a book in a series of meals at a family restaraunt.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

bob wrote:
I think it may be that you motivated yourself to drive to the gym so you owe it to yourself to have a good workout.

That's similar to what motivates me for the most part... I'M PAYING FOR IT!

Some days I'm like ahh screw this I'm not going to hit the gym today. Then my wallet starts screaming at me and I'm like, might as well since I'm paying for it. Then halfway to the gym my motivation starts picking up and BAM! I have a great workout and I'm driving home with a fat grin on my face very glad that I decided to go.

Dave