ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

This is a book I just ordered today based on an outstanding review. I'll give a further personal review once the book arrives.

Who’s Eric Cressey? Eric Cressey, MS, CSCS is a strength coach and owner of Cressey Performance in Boston, MA. He’s also a competitive powerlifter: 400lbs Bench Press, 500lbs Squat and 650lbs Deadlift in the 180lbs category.

Here is a review of the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:07 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I am very familiar with the name. The name alone would have me at least going to the library and skimming through.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:45 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Very nice review. I'd already ordered it, I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure if I'd be able to try the routine, I don't have 16 weeks where I can be sure I can work out 4 times a week. But I'm looking forward to reading it nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 pm 

This book is getting a lot of attention on JPFitness:
http://forums.jpfitness.com/training-di ... ength.html

Eric actually talks about the program a bit in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:33 pm 

Good link.

I'm wondering how "adjustment friendly" the program is. Not because I want to tweak, but because I see mentions of box squats (nothing to sit back on in the gym, not that'll fit in the rack), pull-throughs and other cable work (no cables), and so on. I'm willing to make every effort to try a program and stick to it. But it's really hard to find a "cookie cutter" program that'll actually fit my gym. It's not well-equipped, my schedule isn't anywhere near flexible enough to do 4 days a week lifting unless I basically stop doing any MMA training.
That's partly why I like tight workout frameworks with lots of exercise choices, because I'll be damned if I can't get strong with just a rack, flat bench, a few dumbells and a couple barbells!

Maybe I should register over on JP Fitness and ask in that thread.

(Editing later - nevermind. Eric Cressey had some suggestions for swapping in replacements on his blog. So I guess it doesn't offer too many alternatives, but the program isn't "do this or you're not going to get results." http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... round.html
)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 am 

I got this book, finally. I'll post a real review when I get a chance. The short version is - it's an excellent book. It's aimed primarily at folks coming from a bodybuilding-approach but who are stalled there. It's more of an intermediate program than a beginner program, and it shows - 4 days a week, 2 upper and 2 lower, lots of exercise variety but centered on the big lifts - bench, squat, deadlift, chinup, rows. Lots of unilateral work, mobility warmups and foam roller work warmups. It's a 16-week program broken into 4 phases, heavy/medium/very heavy/deload volume, bracketed by two testing days. It includes "energy work" - cardio or HIT or technique circuits - on your off days.

It's well written, organized well, and well illustrated.

If want a program to follow, a look at how Eric Cressey would set up a program, or some guideance on mobility warmups and foam rolling, it's useful. It's low on theory and more focused on practical work, with a concrete program to follow. That said I learned a lot from it, and the reasoning behind the program and its execution is all there. You never feel like something was just tossed in. Good stuff, I feel like it was worth buying. If I'm ever able to train on the schedule he suggests I'll give it a go.