ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Other authors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 am 

Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Harry Turtledove, and Stephen king.

Terry, Robert, David and Harry write mainly fantasy fiction great reads.
Harry also is the master of alternate history he has written some amazing books.

Stephen King is in the horror genre but also a great author if you don't mind being freaked out slightly at reading a book late at night. Funny but happened to me last week.

Just thought some other awesome authors not related to weight training would be good. I recommend all authors for the simple enjoyment of reading and just enjoying yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48 am 

Also I have probably read thousands of books in my short stay here on earth... 23 years.... lol Maybe not thousands... but def more than only a few people I know. I would love to read any others any of you guys recommend. I prefer series since I read really fast and and enjoy long stories. Robert Jordan has a series that is as of right now I think 12 or 13 books long with over 8,000 pages. Good stuff. OK. I'm done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you like the Godfather then any Mario Puzo (the author) has about 3 other mafia type books that are just about on par with the god father. If you like the film and have not read the book, then read the book, it's worth it. The Last Don is amazing. I never liked it on TV but the book is up there with the godfather - amazing.

The ones I can remember off the top of my head are The Sicilian and Omerta but if you like that kind of stuff then start with the godfather and the last don.

"Pimp" by Ice Berg Slim is an interesting read! Surprisingly enjoyable, but a brutal eye opener. Makes you realise that all these rappers talking about being pimps really must have no clue what they're saying, or they would know it wasn't a proud statement!

I recently read "Papa Jack" the story of Jack Johnson, filled with all sorts of racial and psychological issues. Great read too.

I'll look out my collection and see what else I can find (and also to make sure I gave you the correct names).

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:37 pm 

Just though i would add...

"reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body"...

Don't know who said, I just read it somewhere, sometime...

:grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Homer's "Iliad." Check the Internet for free translations. I like Murray's or Butler's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Used to love Isaac Asimov’s Foundation when I was a kid… it is a bit of a ‘geeky’ read though.

Richard Adam’s Watership Down, while technically being a children’s book, is an inspired read.

My favourite: George Orwell’s 1984