ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:09 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I saw this advertised in Flex. Looks interesting for those that want all the toys possible for their home gym. Granted, probably only a Bodybuilder would be interested.

http://deltforce.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:10 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Looks pretty lame to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:13 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Opinions vary. But, like I said, it would probably only interest a serious bodybuilder. In looking at your training journal, bodybuilding is obviously not your thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a serious bodybuilder and I must say I have great delt equipment. I call them dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:46 pm 

Ironman wrote:
I'm a serious bodybuilder and I must say I have great delt equipment. I call them dumbbells.

That's the opening line of your new informercial, Ironman. Make them cool colors - or market them as "not your fancy, informercial junk" and include a pamphlet claiming great benefits* and sell them for a mint. None of that 50 cents a pound stuff for the Ironman Delt Pumpers.

Peter

*If you work really really hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:09 pm 

Great Ad. Note that the guy in the picture is wearing a belt! It must be a pretty hard-hammering exercise to make him need a belt.

I'm going to market my own version. It'll really be a piece of nylon webbing to loop through some weights and sling over my elbow, but it should work just as well, and cost me a lot less to produce, thus improving my profit margin. I just need to think of a good name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am 

The distance between the weights and your shoulder joint is less than half that of a dumbbell lateral. Consequently, you're going to need a lot more weight to get the same effect. That could get pretty akward for someone who's used to doing laterals with 40 or 50 lb dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

In a shoulder routine, you hit your delts from all angles with multiple exercises. Let’s say you are concerned about symmetry and need to bring up your Lateral Delts. You decide to drop the DB Shoulder presses since anterior delts get hit in Benchpress and you add an extra lateral exercise.

So, what can you do for an extra lateral exercise? Exercise 1 is the DB Lateral Raise. Next.........um.........Upright Row? No, you don’t like them because they murder your wrists. DB Raise? Good option, but you’re afraid it will interfere with your upper trap work. Hmmm..........more DB Lateral raises then? Join a real gym and forget about all the money you have invested in your home gym?

Besides, that little gadget, if you’re creative, could be used for other exercises such as seated Calf Raises, Weighted Crunches, etc.

But seriously, whether or not you like it, need it, or would ever consider using it, I thought the point of this forum “Training Toys and Accessories” was to show various training toys that you use, you know about, or that are new for the education of everyone that visits the site. How can this site be the ultimate training reference if you don’t cover everything but instead just go over the few things you’re comfortable with or that you like. I didn’t think the point of the forum was to debate and bash when you think something is “lame”. There are many people that think Kettlebells are lame because they have no use for them, or that bodyweight exercise are useless, or that exercise bands are a complete waste, etc, but that doesn’t make them worthless by a long shot.

If I'm wrong in thinking this forum is supposed to be infomrative about new toys or accessories that you may not have heard of before, then please let me know.

Matt Z wrote:
The distance between the weights and your shoulder joint is less than half that of a dumbbell lateral. Consequently, you're going to need a lot more weight to get the same effect. That could get pretty akward for someone who's used to doing laterals with 40 or 50 lb dumbbells.

Who said you would use this tool as the ONLY exercise. Bodybuilders are very familiar with techniques such as supersets, drop sets, pre-exhaustion, etc.

Last edited by Chris_A on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:08 pm 

I think this is all fair comment. I agree with Matt, the $100 device looks like a waste of $100. However, if you like it, that's good too. You found something you though was cool, others don't think so, everybody has an opinion and is free to express it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Comments on efficacy are one thing and worth discussion. Saying “that’s lame” is completely unproductive. Not only is such a derogatory remark without merit of reasoning (why is it lame), but also shows that no thought was put into the matter what so ever.

It may be a waste of money to some, just like kettlebells are a waste of money to others. It depends on how you train, what your goals are, and how extensive a home gym you wish to build.

Think of a high pulley attachment that comes with a bar. You could leave your gym like that with just the bar, or you could build a rope attachment, V-Bar attachment, D Handle attachment, sling attachment, etc. That is well rounded and gives you a plethora of different exercises you can perform. Will you use every single attachment in every routine? Of course not, but having the equipment to do different and varying exercises is great. And as we all know, continued gains are only accomplished with variety.

Conversely, some would think so many attachments are pointless. Some would even say the high pulley is pointless. But why? Because they prefer Olympic lifts which has no use for a high pulley. Pull-ups are their staple and thus no need for pulldowns. Valid reasons that far outshine unfocused derogatory rhetoric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree with Ironman. Not sure what this thing can do for you that dumbbells can't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:44 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:05 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Guess no one has ever used one of these.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Raise.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you can do straight arm dumbbell laterals and then bent arm and then straight with it tilted like you are pouring out water to work the rotator cuff more. Plus straight arm can be done with arms at the sides or starting in front of you.

The major flaw though, is that you don't need to do another exercise. Just do more sets of dumbbell laterals if you need your lateral delts bigger. There is no other angle for a lateral delt. It is 1 muscle, you make it contract, that's it.

Now you could say shoulders in general have angles, because you have anterior, lateral and posterior delts as well as the upper traps. So lateral delts don't have angles, it IS an angle.

So if you want to make your lateral delts bigger in relation to everything else because it is your weak point. You just only do a couple sets of most exercises. Do a basic 2 full body days maintenance type routine, but do your lateral delts hard and heavy 4 or 5 times a week, for a few weeks. Or if it is more subtle, just add more laterals to whatever routine you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris_A wrote:
Guess no one has ever used one of these.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Raise.html

Sure have. those are pretty lame too.

That's my whole problem with bodybuilding. Why bother with stuff like that when you can just do more of something that works better. Working something from a different "angle" means rows vs chins, not a less effective machine version of the same movement. However that meaning seems to have evolved in the modern bodybuilding mythology.

I'm not trying to pick on you. I just call it how I see it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next