ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ng&pl=true

His name is Junior. He is a british breakdancer known for his incredible strength and flexibility.

I remember seeing a list of sports that require the most athletic ability. Football was #1, followed by dancing. Everyone was questioning that fact saying "dancing? that's for kids who can't play sports." Well, now I know what they're talking about.

BTW, I've been getting into breakdancing recently. Anyone know of any excercises for wrists, in terms of holding oneself up?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

VoK wrote:
BTW, I've been getting into breakdancing recently. Anyone know of any excercises for wrists, in terms of holding oneself up?

Are your wrists really your weakest link? There's always wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, and everything else that works your wrists good including any presses and reverse curls.

Seems like you'd need to do lots of inverted pushups. In my prime I could do 3 or 5; I'm working back up to it now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:31 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

VoK wrote:
I remember seeing a list of sports that require the most athletic ability. Football was #1, followed by dancing. Everyone was questioning that fact saying "dancing?

I question football, even though it's my favorite spectator sport. Basketball players are better athletes, IMHO. But the title should go to Olympic decathlon athletes

BTW, that break dancer is awesome. He doesn't look that big, but his strength to weight ratio must be very high

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:49 pm 

Ya know, I used to believe the idea that decathletes were the best athletes but they are completely lacking in the ability to maniuplate their body against an opponent as would be done in football basketball etc, so in that sense they have it easy.

Football and, to some extent, most other sports require the athlete be able to dynamically adjust to a teammates or opponents movements and also absorb the impact of a collision and still make a play.

When they start allowing people to block each other in the 100 meter dash then I might believe it requires a bit more skill.

In terms of the highest "performing" (must be a better word) athletes, I would still choose decathletes, but I think athleticism takes into account more things and these team sports demand a lot of this other quality that is not present in track and field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:06 pm 
I think it's futile to argue about which atheletes are most athletic, since there are so many aspects of athleticism. Some sports are all about endurance, others all about speed, strengh, agility, quick reflexes, hand eye coordination,..... the list goes on and on, and relatively few sports are truly one dimentional. Also, two players on the same team might have completely different skill sets and physical atributes. For example, I wouldn't expect even a world class wide reciever to make a good ofensive lineman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

it might be outdated now, but a poll of a broad spectrum of athletes and various sports experts came up with the concensus that a jockey was the best athlete. I'm not quite sure why though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

See, I heard soccer and motocross were the two most physically demanding sports... I guess it depends on who's voting, and what's considered more "athletic".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quote:
it might be outdated now, but a poll of a broad spectrum of athletes and various sports experts came up with the concensus that a jockey was the best athlete.

Think of the relative strength they must have to weigh so little and yet be strong enough to stay on the horse for the amount of time they do.

Quote:
I think it's futile to argue about which atheletes are most athletic

Correct.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]