ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:25 pm 
What advantages and/or disadvantages does Oly Lifts have on rowing/kayaking and other paddle-boat water sports?

I read an article that said lifting slow is more effective than explosive lifts when it comes to these kinds of water sports, but I don't think they were referring to Oly Lifts themselves.

What do you think?

What do the statistics show? etc..

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

i am a river guide and oc boater (open canoe), spend all summer on white water rafting and canoeing, i do lots of rotational exrx's to strengthen rotator cuff muscles - Teres Minor, Subscapularis, Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus - since shoulder injuries occur quite often. i do seated cable rows to somewhat mimic the action of oar rigging, and really concentrate on core exrx's since that is where the stability and balance come from anyway when paddling. as to using olym lifts i have no clue if they would benefit paddling sports other than strenghten muscles to handle more stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:06 pm 
From what little I know about rowing, muscular endurance seems more important than explosive strength. For this reason you would probably be better off with exercises like chins/pulldowns, barbell/dumbbell rows, bench presses, overhead presses, deadlifts and squats performed with relatively high reps (8-12 or 10-15).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:35 pm 
Thanks

What about for martial arts and combat sports?
How about sprinting? would the Oly Lifts improve running speed as well?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:45 pm 
Olympic lifts are great for sprinting and martial arts, since both require explosive power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:10 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Wolfrain, while I enjoy the O lifts and their variations, and do believe they have a part in any general conditioning program, I see either no pluses or minuses for doing them specifically for paddle sports.
To your question on the martial arts and sprinting, yes. You should check out crossfit.cm. Lots of martial artists, military, police and firefighters over there. They combine almost everything; bodyweight, sprints, PL, OL, and basic exercises. Except of their max effort days, most workouts are done timed, striving to do the most amount of work in the shortest period of time. In short, they try to train all aspects of fitness. BTW, lots of paddle sports types over there as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 pm 
Nice..

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

anything that works the core in a twisting manner is excellent for paddling/rowing, especially kayaking and canoeing when the core acts like a spring to get power for the stroke.

key exrx for my paddle season is this for my obliques

sorry i couldnt help with oly lifts again

Post subject: Julian
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:23 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]