ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been lifting for 3 years now and just cannot get past 3 reps at 205lbs for the barbell bench press; I would like to get to the point of being able to do 4 to 6 reps for 225lbs.

My workout is 3 weeks for 12 reps for 3 sets, then 3 weeks of 10 reps for 3 sets, then 3 weeks of 8 reps and then a week off and repeat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since I have friends who are always asking me when I am going to be able to do 2 plates on the bench press.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 pm 

If you're trying to gain strength you shouldn't need that many reps per set, you could try just doing sets of 200, as many reps as you can do (or tops 8), if you get 3x8 then move to 205lbs, when you work up to 3x8 of that move to 210...

or, if you have about two months to do one specific program, this is very effective, and will definitely increase your strength. BTW, it says 50lbs added to your 1RM, but you should most likely plan on 25ish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:10 pm 
From what I understand 8 sets of 4 reps at 85% of your 1 rep max is the best way to gain strength. There are also good programs where you vary the sets and reps and that looked good too. Someone else posted that recently. Also make sure you don't train triceps and anterior delts before chest if you do them on a sperate day. In fact doing them on the same day is probably the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:52 am 
the 4-6 rep range is for strength gains and muscle hypertrophy ( more muscle fibres)
1-3 is power rep range
8-12 is basically general conditioning, it increases sarcoplasmic hypertrophy the fluid volume of the muscle with little muscle fibre hypertrophy

start training in the low rep ranges and you will hit 225 in no time

look at your goals too, you wanna be able to do 225 4-6 times, why on earth are you lifting 200 or 205 for 12 10 and 8 reps? focus on you goal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:12 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you would greatly benefit from working in the 4-6 rep range for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:21 am 
You can also try alternating between light and heavy workouts. For example, 8-12 rep working sets one week and 3-5 rep working sets the next.

Also, where is the sticking point in your bench press. If you generally get stuck near lockout then triceps are probably the weak link in your bench. You can address by adding close-grip bench presses, dips or barbell extensions (close-grips are also great for front delts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 am 
As everyone as pointed out, you need some lower rep work. Here's another simple way to do it. First workout use 205 as your work weight for the whole workout, (just do 1 or 2 reps a set, dont burn yourself out trying for 4 or 5 on the first set!), next workout drop down 165, next workout use 185. Then advance up to 210, 170, and 190.

Post subject: taylor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]