ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:41 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

here's my Journal: http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24320#24320

you're comments are much appreciated :smile:

Last edited by uvhst3p on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:01 am 

Hi. I read your intro in your journal, and was wondering about a couple of things. Are the weights you listed your current training load or are they PRs?

Also, do you work out at home or at a gym?

Also, the comment you made about diet and "whatever's laying around," and the budget issues. A lot of the guys on the forum make reference to supplements that are pretty expensive. They aren't necessary in order to have a good diet. If you stick to basic foods, you can eat pretty inexpensively. Just pay attention to what you are eating. There are lots of sources on line about nutrition and the nutritional content of foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

To second Jungledoc's food concerns:

http://whfoods.org/

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm

A good way to start. Try to eat cheaply, but eat good food. Processed junk is often more expensive than healthy foods, too, if you keep an eye open. Chicken is usually pretty cheap, same with fresh and frozen veggies.

I'll comment more on your workout as you post more, it sounds from the general forum like you're changing it up soon, so try your plan for a while and see how it goes.

What are your goals, anyway? Play a certain sport, get bigger, get stronger, become an Olympic lifter or powerlifter...? My advice tends to assume "athlete" but that's not the case for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

hi guys! thanks for looking at my journal and the tips about food. I updated my journal. check it out :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 am 

Quote:
It also has a butterfly thing that I don't know how to use - at first I thought that they were for chest flies but when I tried them, it's just like doing bicep curls on the side while lying down.

This probably is a "Pec Dec" attachment. It is for chest flys but due to your size you may not fit properly. You should be able to place your elbows on the pads. Like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pec ... ckFly.html
Some have handles like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pec ... edFly.html
You need to keep your arms straight for this version. Lower the weights if you have to. You're probably better off to not bother with it and do more pressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:54 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Quote:
It also has a butterfly thing that I don't know how to use - at first I thought that they were for chest flies but when I tried them, it's just like doing bicep curls on the side while lying down.

This probably is a "Pec Dec" attachment. It is for chest flys but due to your size you may not fit properly. You should be able to place your elbows on the pads. Like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pec ... ckFly.html
Some have handles like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pec ... edFly.html
You need to keep your arms straight for this version. Lower the weights if you have to. You're probably better off to not bother with it and do more pressing.

oh! okay! i was doing it wrong! lol! :lol: see the pads look like handles so i placed my hands on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:01 pm 

Well, I still think you've "played" with the routines too much, but now it's time to stop changing the plan, and actually lift the weights!

Go for it!

I can't help you with your dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:24 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, I still think you've "played" with the routines too much, but now it's time to stop changing the plan, and actually lift the weights!

Yes. Pick up some heavy stuff. Repeat. The rest will sort itself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

change of plans. i'm going to start lifting with the new routine hopefully by tomorrow. see my journal for the reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:08 am 

Well, the stuff still work just fine, right? Now it'll look more weathered and worn, like you've been using it for years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah, they still work fine. But rust gets on my clothes, hands, and everywhere! Anyway, I updated my journal. Please see :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 am 

Anshan--Good job!

Keep the weight light while you get the feel for the lifts. The balance thing will improve. Keep you grip wide enough--just wider than shoulder width. Narrower grip makes it harder to balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 am 

Quote:
My thoughts:
- I used my previous workout load and with the 3x5 routine and it's too light compared to my previous routine of multiple exercises with 3x10-15. I felt very little burn on my quads and no burn on all other muscles. Although the soreness in my lower back didn't go away. I always feel soreness in my lower back whenever I'm working out. Anyway, should I move up now or just wait until I complete the 3x7 routine by Friday next week?
- My Bench Press form sucks! Like I said, the weight was too light but I even tried bench pressing only the barbell and I had trouble balancing it. Sometimes it tilts to the left, other times it tilts to the right.
- My Squat form was okay but it still needs work.
- In terms of exercise form, starting from the next workout, I'll be doing them in a controlled slow motion so that I could work out on them. This is connected to my issue on whether or not to move up weight. I could just continue working on my form while sticking to the program or move up now but still continue to work on my form.
- I didn't do any ab work today since mike mahler said that it was optional.

If you think the weight is too light for 3x5 you can up the weight. You should be trying to get the 7 if you can. If 3x5 was your max, keep the weight the same until you can do 3x7.

Balancing the bar is part of the process. Your stabilizer muscles will get stronger over time.

When you record your weight lifted, add the weight of the bar to the weight on the bar. The bar could be anywher from 10-45 lbs depending on the type of bar.

Part of your form is controlling bar speed. You should be trying to move the bar quickly, accelerating it on the way up, but bring it down under control.

Don't look for the burn. The burn is not related to any adaptaion you're looking for. It's not related to strength, size or fat burning. You actually want to complete your set before the burn takes place. You should be stopping because your form is breaking down, the bar starts slowing down, or you just can't do anymore. If you go for the burn, none of that happens and you don't get full benefit from the exercise. There's an article on this site about it. http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/PumpBurn.html

The soreness in your lower back may be related to your form. Be very carefull to maintain the correct arch in your lower back at all times. You can post a video of your form for critique you you want to.

You abs will be worked by the main exercises. Your abs are designed to work isometrically as stabilizers. It's useful to include some light ab work into your warmup.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:23 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Anshan--Good job!

Yeah, nice. Nothing like rusty weights and grit to make working out fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

thanks guys for the boost of confidence and advices

thanks for clarifying the pump and burn stu. i thought it was a way to see whether or not i am growing muscle. i thought of it wrong because the instructor at the local gym kept on talking about pump and burn and that stuff.

the soreness in my lower back always starts when i do the stiff legged deadlift or the normal deadlift. come to think of it, i have always had back problems ever since graduating from college. now that i'm working out, my back problems have lessened but they're still there when i work out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next