ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:50 pm 

I think we all know who the winner will be... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Well, I am on a mass-gain diet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53 pm 

Yes, many times and it is delicious. I just wish you didn't have to waste part of a beer.

Grilled chicken and grilled okra tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
There is only one way to settle this - BBQ contest!

My house, Saturday afternoon. It's only Tuesday. You'll have to leave by Thursday for me to pick you up at the airport Saturday morning. I've got a gas grill, but some of you will have to bring barbecues. I'll supply the panel of judges for the contest. Me, mostly. Sorry about the luggage situation with the airlines, but after paying $3,000 to $3,500 for the ticket, what's a few hundred more for excess luggage costs? I'll drive you all back to the airport Sunday morning, and you can be back at work by Tuesday morning.

We could also do some lifting while you're here, but some of you would have to bring some extra plates for the barbell in our weight room. Maybe a new O-bar, too. Oh, yeah, and a rack. Again, sorry about the airlines, but if you leave it all here, you won't have to pay excess baggage costs on the return trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:15 pm 

Heh. If I could, I would.

But since I've got a BBQ to go to on Sunday, with maybe my last chance to get a job here...I better go to that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:35 am 

KPj wrote:
OK the last ones were just cheeky, but, as I said, i'm not against bodybuilding, and I have a lot of respect for bodybuilders. The point to my whole rant is that we're all, regardless of goals, a lot more similar than people think.

I think this is true. The divergence in goals and methods is probably more properly placed at the "intermediate" level. So you can take a would-be PLer, football player, bodybuilder, etc. and put them on the same basic routine. They can all gain pretty well because they are beginners, and the real differentiation occurs later. It's only after they've gotten past the beginner stage does it make sense to split them out - the PLer moves more to good mornings and speed deadlifts while the bodybuilder starts to worry about symmetry and size and the football player is concerned about getting his 40 time lower and maxing his 225-pound rep count for the combine.

Some beginners probably need more specialization if their sport or body requires it. Like you wouldn't want to take a flyweight boxer and concentrate on size gains, or take an elderly or injured person and put them straight onto a routine aimed at putting size onto a 16-year old boy. Or take someone who needs a specific weakness addressed NOW and put them on a program that won't address it until much later. But generally, you're going to take all of them through the basics the same way.

That's how I see it, anyway. I could be wrong, but the more I read about beginner programs the more I think they can gain better on a cookie-cutter program of basic lifts (lots of them in the sticky in the general forum) not only because they are beginners, but because the real individualized/specialized routines aren't necessary until they're strong enough to benefit from them.

Just thinking this through out loud. Any obvious holes in my logic?

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

pdellorto wrote:
I'll argue that too. Foil is really good for grilling fish, because fish usually flake apart as they cook, which is bad on a grill. Put them on foil, though (or wrap them) and it'll cook up nicely without disintegrating! This is less true for fish with skin that'll hold them together like mackerel, or for squid, but for flaky fish like perch or swordfish, it's usually better to put it on something that will keep them intact.

Otherwise, yeah...I hate watching people grill aluminum foil on an open grill without a good reason. Fish? Sure. Want some steamed veggies so you wet them and wrap them? Okay? Burgers and hot dogs and chicken thighs? Why even grill?

You’d be better off using an oven and not desecrating the coals. Foil blocks the flavor of wood smoke, so why not use a toaster oven. Its sacrilege. You can grill fish without foil. Salmon does well, as does any whole fish. You can also use a fish basket that is open. Vegetables can be done on a slotted insert or grill “wok” Learn your grill and your fish!

Last edited by Chris_A on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:32 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

TimD wrote:
Chris, your right about the foil. Even for fish. I have a a flat plate with holes in it specially for doing fish and veg. The holes are small enough to keep things from falling through, yet allow everthing else from falling through. Another thing along those lines, grilling and BBQ are NOT the same. I grill on a hibachi. I do my BBQ in a Weber kettle, bank the coals and wood on one side, put a drip pan in on the other with some lquid, slap the lid on it, finesse the vents for around 259 and let her rip, low and slow, add lots of smoke.
Tim

Beautiful Tim, simply beautiful! Cheers!!

I have a Weber 18”, and 12”, along with a gas grill, an outdoor fryer, a water smoker, and a 10” outdoor Dutch Oven. There is simply nothing I can not cook outdoors with coal (or gas), and no foil Is required. By all means, as you say, have those tools with the holes! I love my grill “wok” and fish basket. Low and slow at 225 is THE way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

hoosegow wrote:
After 2 hours of bar-b-queing ribs, I wrap them in foil and cook for another hour.
After 5 hours of bar-b-queing brisket, I wrap it in foil and cook for another 3-5 hours.

Sorry Chris. I used to not use foil, but I have to admit, it does make it more tender.

Keep your temp at 225, and use a mop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:34 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
mmmmmm... Beer Can Chicken.....

Excellent!! And try smaller cans (like pineapple juice) with Cornish Hens. Awesome!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:58 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Try these that I've done. These are mine.

A twist on wings I did.
http://www.spiceplace.com/forums/poultr ... ppers.html

And here are some of my ribs.
http://www.spiceplace.com/forums/smokin ... style.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:20 am 

A MOP CHRIS???!!!!???!!! A MOP!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! What, do you think I can't cook!?!?! A FREAKING MOP!?!?!?!?! I'd get shot if I used a mop. My dad would disown me. Heck, why don't you just go ahead and put sauce on my cooking? Do you want to kick my dog, too? :lol:

If you have to add a mop sauce or bar-b-que sauce to your cooking, you can't cook.

Dry rub and let the cooking speak for itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Loved the response on the mop. Got the two different schools fighting it out now. Wanna ee the responses. As to keeping things falling apart, like Chris said, keep it low, but my thing is to line the bottom of the kettle with a drip pan, with some lquid in it. Keeps the heat very humid and with a chicken, it turns out similar to the old Beer Can Method. Same principle, just keep a lid on the kettle with vents set accordingly.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hoosegow, no mop? Ok, use foil then. But down here, you get shot for that. :wink:

For the mop I use, I make a mixture in a large spray bottle that consists of 40% peanut oil to 60% apple cider vinegar. That's it. A quick spritz every 30-45 minutes is all it takes.

Oh, and I saw you were gonna grill okra the other night. How'd you do it, and how did it turn out. Down here, okra is usually done two ways, in gumbo or fried. Never thought about grilling it. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm 

"Sorry about the luggage situation with the airlines, but after paying $3,000 to $3,500 for the ticket, what's a few hundred more for excess luggage costs?" - Jungledoc

I wonder if anyone has tried boarding a plane WEARING a weeks worth of clothes. It would be one hell of a sweaty flight, but for a few hundred dollars it might be worth it. Plus it would be a big F U to the airline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next