ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Deadlift vrs. Squat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 am 
If you could only include one of the above in your program, which would it be? I know for many of you this would be like choosing between two of your children, but I'm interested on your thoughts.

Idealy I would like to include both, but I've run into problems with this. If I do squats and standard deadlifts on seperate days in the same week, I never seem to fully recover between workouts. Meanwhile, if I do both in the same workout I have to go light on whichever lift I perform second (usually deadlifts).

In my estimation squats are arguably a better muscle building exercise, while standard deadlifts are a better strength exercise. Also, deadlifts are for me at least a much more natural movement, so of course I prefer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 am 
PS.) I've noticed that my legs, glutes and erectors are slow to recover even if I don't go to failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:13 am 

Well I can't really say I would choose one but if you are having trouble doing both in a given week, why not spend 3-6 weeks on one and then take a break to spend 3-6 weeks on the other.

I have also had success with doing 2-3 weeks of squat followed by 1-2 weeks of deadlift repeated for several months with occasional weeks off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 am 
Hmmm ... that might work.

PS.) I can do squats and romanian deadlifts in the same workout with no problem, even if I go fairly heavy (225-245 lbs) on RDLs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:53 am 
Ryan, did you actually increase you deadlift that way, or just maintain? How many reps were you doing on squats and deadlifts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:49 pm 

I would choose squats. I have basically never gotten into deadlifting, though I know I should start.

Also, it seems to me that since legs are one of my primary focuses I should do both on the same day (once I start to do both...) right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:35 pm 
Also Ryan, are you referring the the Westside box squat program you refered to in the PR thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:43 pm 

So I was motivated to try DLing today, details in my journal...

and my decision between the two would now be harder... if I was a bit better at DL.

For now, I'm still solidly a squat guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 pm 
If I had access to a good hack squat machine I could do Standard Deadlifts first followed by Sled Hack Squats. This is because, unlike squats, front squats and barbell hack squats, Sled Hack Squats don't involve the erectors much.

Unfortunately, the closest thing to a hack squat machine at my gym is a very poorly designed leg press machine that bothers both my back AND my knees (I don't normally have trouble with either.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:23 pm 
All through middle and high school squats (barbell and smith) and Romainian/Strait-leg Deadlifts were my bread and butter for legs. I did other stuff of course (sissy squats, leg extensions, leg curls), but those were my two main lifts. I didn't really get into deadlifting until college.

At the time I was in the Judo club and found that deadlifts had tremendous cross-over value, especially for stuff like single-leg and double-leg takedowns. Even though I wasn't pulling very much at the time (maybe 275 lbs for reps), deadlifts seemed to give me a type of explosive power that heavy squatting never did.

Also, with deadlifts I can go as heavy as I want without a spotter, which is good because compitent spotters can be few and far between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:06 pm 

Yes, I made gains in both my box squat and my deadlift and front squat.

I just recalled however that I was doing light box squats every week during the entire period of rotating the above 3 exercises.

4 days, upper lower split into Maximum Effort and Speed Lifting

Post subject: Matt Z
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:11 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'll probably go back to doing Barbell Squats and Romainian Deadlifts, at least for now (I'm going to be moving soon, and joining a new gym).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:53 pm 

I missed your 2nd post Matt so I just wanted to clarify that I was doing the westside style program with box squats.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:36 pm 

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:39 pm 

Anyone else have an opinion on this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next