ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 6500 cal/day
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

check out this story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12388081

wow that is a lot of cal. i eat about 3200-3800 a day.
but i am far from a model.

*typo i put 3800-4200 when it should have been 3200-3800*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

damn, poor guy, that would really be difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:50 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

John Parillo claims to have people eating up to 10,000 calories a day on his diets. If I ate that many calories, I would look like Haystacks Calhoun! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. I used to have that book that you linked to. It's not all what you think. The food servings were actually pretty close to normal, he just upped the calories mainly with MCT oil. The idea is that because of the molecular structure, it could be broken down easier than the regular long chain tryglycerides and used as fuel easier. I can remember in the early 90's when the book came out, MCT oil was a big seller. Never tried it, so I can't comment on that.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD wrote:
I can remember in the early 90's when the book came out, MCT oil was a big seller. Never tried it, so I can't comment on that.

MCTs are the primary fat in coconut oil. It's saturated, yet people in the tropics who consume coconuts have a low incidence of heart disease. This is true in spite of the fact that in some places in the South Pacific, coconuts provide up to 40% of the calories of a traditional diet.

Oddly enough, the people there who have adopted the typical western diet suffer from astronomical rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Much like American Indians in the Southwest.

I ordered some info from Parillo once, but I wasn't able to stick to his diet - I like fruit too much ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:55 am 
Novice
Novice

i dated this chick in college that was so overly concerned with cal counting. she would count them in everything, and would keep a log. she wasnt on any diet, did need to lose or gain weight, she was just so concerned with making sure she ate the recommended amount each day. if she didnt she would scarf a whole bunch of food between bed and dinner just to hit it.
it was weird. i ve seen people count cals for diets and nutrition logs while exrxing but not like she did.

i thought this article was interesting, i read it to my wife who freaked out about the guy being 8lbs at 4 months. our son was 9 at birth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 am 
i know why he has to eat that much, he wears all that damned clothing and sweats so much, as well he only bikes everywhere those two things if he cut out would make him gain more,

also hes a fv(k nut pardon my french he said if he gets to 120 hes going to cut his diet...... sounds like he needs mental help as well as diet advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

john wrote:
also hes a fv(k nut pardon my french he said if he gets to 120 hes going to cut his diet...... sounds like he needs mental help as well as diet advice

Are you talking about the guy with pyloric stenosis in the MSNBC article?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]