ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:50 pm 
Let's say I want to build a lot of mass in the legs, back, traps, shoulders and triceps... would performing Olympic Lifts help aid in this goal? - providing that I follow a proper diet?

I find that oly lifts like the Power Snatch, Clean & Jerk, Power Clean, and Push Press, etc are very productive as they work all these muscles at the same time (not to mention they provide me with a great cardio workout in a short period of time), and I can really feel my muscles working, but I don't know if this training will result in physique development.

I read in some online publications that oly lifts do have amazing bodybuilding applications, but other articles argue that olympic lifts are only for olympic lifting, not for bodybuilding, therefore not providing as much physique development as non-olympic lifts.

From your experience, knowledge, etc, what do you think?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Kugar wrote:
I read in some online publications that oly lifts do have amazing bodybuilding applications, but other articles argue that olympic lifts are only for olympic lifting, not for bodybuilding, therefore not providing as much physique development as non-olympic lifts.

That's true - an Olympic training routine won't lead most people to a Mr. Universe title. But Olympic lifters no longer compete in physique contests.

Back in the pre-Weider days of bodybuilding, contestants in bodybuilding contests had to include some sort of athletic activity in their presentation. Bob Hoffman - founder of the York Barbell Company, and the head honcho of bodybuilding at the time - had nothing but disdain for "mirror athletes"., and expected bodybuilders to be real athletes. Although the contestants could choose from a variety of activities, such as hand-balancing, most of them did Olympic lifts. If you look at the physiques of the bodybuilders at the time, they are definitely more muscular than the average person. But none of them would win a modern bodybuilding contest. Once Joe Weider took control of bodybuilding, the athletic performance part of contests was dropped.

A person who does Olympic lifts will become more muscular. But Olympic training isn't bodybuilding training. The typical Olympic lifter, other than Superheavyweights, weighs considerably less than a bodybuilder of the same height. What Olympic training will do is increase your muscular power. After training the Olympic lifts, most people will notice an increase in their veritcal leap and sprinting speed. For people engaged in real athletics, Olympic training is far more productive than bodybuilding training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:24 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Olympic lifts will definitely build muscle, and it's hard to explain why so few bodybuilders include them in their training programs. One reason may be that fitting them into a bodybuilding style training split can be challenging. Another is that many gyms simply don't allow people to do Oylmpic lifts. Finally, it's possible to get comparable mass gains from exercises like squats, so it's not really neccessary for bodybuilders to take the time to learn the Olympic lifts.

Post subject: Matt Z
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 pm 

PS.) It seems to me that, in spite of their merrits, the Olympic lifts have fallen out of favor with more than just bodybuilders. Occationally I may see someone doing hang cleans or weightlifting style front squats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi. Stephen's answer is great, as is Matt's, but I thought I'd throw my .02 into the mix. I started out in the early 60's, when the O lifts and their variations were popular (pre-Weider days). Yes, they work the whole body, especially the posterior chain and upper traps, which IMO are really neglected these days. It would seem to me, that a day or two a week spent on these in conjunction with a more "Bdybuilding freindly" approach would be an optimal way of approaching bobybuilding.
Working them in shouldn't be a problem. Using them as warmups on you "part days" would be a good idea,and wouldn't get strenuous enough to cut into any recovery patterns.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Could someone give an examle of a 1day workout focusing on Olympic lifts? I only care about burning fat and building strength, meaning I don't want big muscles I want strong muscles. I'd like to add 1 day of O lifts to my current schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:49 am 
TimD wrote:
It would seem to me, that a day or two a week spent on these in conjunction with a more "Bdybuilding freindly" approach would be an optimal way of approaching bobybuilding.
Tim

By bodybuilding approach, do you mean a certain number of reps/sets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:32 am 

elemental wrote:
Could someone give an examle of a 1day workout focusing on Olympic lifts? I only care about burning fat and building strength, meaning I don't want big muscles I want strong muscles. I'd like to add 1 day of O lifts to my current schedule.

I don't know what your routine should be, but I think you should work up to the full lift using a progression like this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:32 pm 

"By bodybuilding approach, do you mean a certain number of reps/sets?"

I believe he was refering to the bodypart split routines popularized in part by Weider and used by most bodybuilders. These programs varry considerably in volume and frequency (among other things), but one thing they generally have in common is that they include more isolation work then programs geared soley toward strength and/or athletic performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:36 am 

elemental wrote:
Could someone give an examle of a 1day workout focusing on Olympic lifts? I only care about burning fat and building strength, meaning I don't want big muscles I want strong muscles. I'd like to add
1 day of O lifts to my current schedule.

Sure. Easy. On one day, pick a lift and break it down. Pick a push , pull, and squat. For the snatch, I'd recommend powe snatch off the floor, overhead squat, and push press behind the neck. On another day, maybe take the clean and press/pushpress. Clean the bar from the floor, or rack, go into a squat from the catch position, come up into a pushpress/press, lowe the bar onto your back while going into a back squat, and come up into a bak squat pushpress. Thats a drill I use to teach the local kids how to get low
Tim

Post subject: the bear
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:27 am 
is what your talking about Tim D , called 'the bear'? Im also intrested in strength over size. Ive been doing body wieghts and sprints , with abit of oly wieghts. Can you post a few routines or point me in the wright direction. Ive checked Crossfit wich is okay , but do you or anyone else know of programs that might help.
this is of the topic a bit , but does anyone know a routine for either bodywieghts or Oly lifts as i find myself just improvising most of the time

thank you

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]