ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi, I am John and nice meeting all of you!

I recently have developed the following upper body workout routine (to aid swimming), and since I don't have much knowledge in weight training I would like to ask for everyone's opinion on it. If possible, please tell me whether I am overdoing certain sets or if I should include additional sets to balance the workout.

In no particular order:

Composite Row (?) - 3 sets x 10 at 100 lbs
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 10 at 100 lbs
Push-ups - 5 sets x 20
Lever tricep extentions - 3 sets x 12 at 80 lbs
Dips - 3 set x 10 at (155 lbs [bodyweight] - 75 lbs = 80 lbs)
Chin-ups - 3 sets x 10 at (155 lbs [bodyweight] - 75 lbs = 80 lbs)

I forbid myself from doing pec-fly, bench press or anything like that because I heard it damages the rotatory tissue in the shoulder (which will hinder performance in front crawl). Do you think more pushups and dips will cut it? I also don't want to do bicep curls... because few days ago after I finish the 3 sets my hand can't touch my shoulder! My biceps are not particular strong either, doing about 60 lbs in comparsion to the 80 lbs my triceps are doing. I don't know why the size increases so sudden, but I am glad they return to normal size the next morning.

Anyway, thanks everyone for reading and any comments are welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

You're not overdoing it at all. You're going to be lopsided so to speak though. I think your fears are unfounded, but hey, your entitled to your beleifs. What about puting a weight plate on your back when you do pushups or doing weighted dips? Or does that worry you too? Your biceps, by the way, just had a lot of blood in them, that's fine. That feeling will go away, unless you have some sort of medical condition.

I personally would think swimmers would do strength and endurance training, with weights, working the entire body. If you want strength and endurance, reps in the 12 to 14 range, or maybe do 10 to 12 one week and then 14 to 15 on another. More sets with less rest too.

Post subject: Re: Hi!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

JHS wrote:
Hi, I am John and nice meeting all of you!

I recently have developed the following upper body workout routine (to aid swimming), and since I don't have much knowledge in weight training I would like to ask for everyone's opinion on it. If possible, please tell me whether I am overdoing certain sets or if I should include additional sets to balance the workout.

In no particular order:

Composite Row (?) - 3 sets x 10 at 100 lbs
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 10 at 100 lbs
Push-ups - 5 sets x 20
Lever tricep extentions - 3 sets x 12 at 80 lbs
Dips - 3 set x 10 at (155 lbs [bodyweight] - 75 lbs = 80 lbs)
Chin-ups - 3 sets x 10 at (155 lbs [bodyweight] - 75 lbs = 80 lbs)

I forbid myself from doing pec-fly, bench press or anything like that because I heard it damages the rotatory tissue in the shoulder (which will hinder performance in front crawl). Do you think more pushups and dips will cut it? I also don't want to do bicep curls... because few days ago after I finish the 3 sets my hand can't touch my shoulder! My biceps are not particular strong either, doing about 60 lbs in comparsion to the 80 lbs my triceps are doing. I don't know why the size increases so sudden, but I am glad they return to normal size the next morning.

Anyway, thanks everyone for reading and any comments are welcome!

John,

1) If your shoulders are healthy to begin with and you perform bench presses with proper form, there will be no damage.

I am not an athletic coach, but I read on the subject and one thing I recall reading is that freestyle swimmers tend to have do a lot of intenal rotation for their sport so usually there is a muscle imbalance as a result. For this reason you may need to limit internal rotation exercises (such as bench press) until you address the imbalance.

I do not feel confident going into any more depth on the subject. But do keep what I said above in mind.

2) I STRONGLY urge you to perform lower body workouts in addition to upper body workouts. Better yet perform full body workouts. You must train your lower body for the following reasons:

a. I don't know a lot about swimming, but I know for sure that there is a lot of leg work involved from the very begining (pusing off a platform) and while in the pool swiming, and when changing direction.

b. Even if there were no lower body work involved, your upper body would develop better if you developed your lower body at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Go with a full body routine or split. Having an imbalance in your training is more likely to cause problems than solve them. There are really no exercises you should avoiding on the condition that they are performed correctly.

Swimming is a tough sport, anaerobic and aerobic demands on the body and both can get pretty high. I'd go with as basic a strength routine as you can perform with a reasonable frequency, say two times a week per muscle group. The size increase you are seeing is likely just inflamation which is normal and to be expected in the short term with any good workout. However, if you're worried about joint mobility I'd recommend a book Super Joints. It's got various stretching/mobility movements in it that you can make a routine out of so you have some focus on that aspect of your training.

Though it's more than likely an unfounded worry. You're not going to be walking around the gym like you've got a midget under each arm unless you put massive effort into achieving that kind of physique. But, the mobility routines did help me do my squats better, I'd recommend them for a try at least.

Post subject: a;slkfja
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am 
yeayea. hi hi.
fitness= cool i guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58 am 
lambchop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58 am 
are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:59 am 
yes, i am suggesting that and i dare say that YOUR coconuts are rather nice ;)

Post subject: umm
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:00 am 
ok...one of u needs to get me a monkey for my birthday..cuz they are cute and stuffmonkey! monkey! monkey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:01 am 
yes, i'm sure if you shared your coconuts with me i could be a physically fit as you

Post subject:
dont worry. i'll get you a monkey. his name will be alfred. i'll get him from alaska. yea yea. you dont see those type around this part of the woods very much eh?

Post subject:
umm i just wanted to let u all know that i win

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:03 am 
ok im kinda gettingBORED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 am 
dang. you always win. yea im bore too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

no, it is "smelled of eldeberries" not snake.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]