ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which would would give u better results?
Poll ended at Sat May 06, 2006 1:27 pm
Dumbell Arnold Presses 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Shoulder Presses on the machine (with the handle bar shaped like a 'U') 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Which shoulder press?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Which shoulder exercise is better for overall shoulder development (anterior and lateral)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:54 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Freeweight exercises generally give better results that machines, so I'll go with the Arnold Presses. But upright rows and lateral raises will still produce better results for the lateral deltoid, and the poor posterior deltoid, as usual, is left out of the loop here.

Getting all-around shoulder development is a challenge, even for pro bodybuilders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:45 pm 
I think you got it all wrong Golden. First, forget machines. Next, the arnold press just seems like a shoulder press with a lot of pointless twisty crap. You work the anterior good with shoulder press and lateral a bit too. You really need laterals or upright rows though.

As for posterior, I find they get worked enough with the back and don't need isolation. A set of rear delt rows can be added to your back routine if they need help though.

Upper fiber traps are in the shoulder area. They get some work with laterals, but shrugs are the best way to develop them.

The reason you can't get the entire shoulder area in 1 motion is because they are complex and involved in many different motions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:
I think you got it all wrong Golden. First, forget machines. Next, the arnold press just seems like a shoulder press with a lot of pointless twisty crap. You work the anterior good with shoulder press and lateral a bit too. You really need laterals or upright rows though.

As for posterior, I find they get worked enough with the back and don't need isolation. A set of rear delt rows can be added to your back routine if they need help though.

Upper fiber traps are in the shoulder area. They get some work with laterals, but shrugs are the best way to develop them.

The reason you can't get the entire shoulder area in 1 motion is because they are complex and involved in many different motions.

Arent upright rows bad for the shoulder joints? I was thinking aout starting doing them 2 weeks ago but i saw too many bad comments on it.
Many people have been saying military presses and shoulder presses work the lateral delts and make u wide so im starting to do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:38 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

take a gander at this thread, most of the questions associated with upright rows are addressed within (I believe) http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Mog16 wrote:
take a gander at this thread, most of the questions associated with upright rows are addressed within (I believe) http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358

o ok thanks for the info, ive seen this post before. So it might be ok for me to do upright rows. I used to do them with cables for my shoulders around 2 years ago and they didnt do me any harm at all so its probably ok for me.

But aside form that, ive seen a few internet sites saying that upright rows work the anterior delts and dont give u much of a median delt workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

an easy way to test what muscles are used is to do the motion and feel your shoulder, which ones feel like they are engaged more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:16 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

GoLdeN M 07 wrote:
But aside form that, ive seen a few internet sites saying that upright rows work the anterior delts and dont give u much of a median delt workout.

Whichever site said that is full of it. The lateral deltoid is the target of the upright row, while the anterior head is a synergist.

I suggest that you start using various exercises in your workouts and keep a record of the results in a training diary. You'll have something real to look at, rather than waste time trying to validate each and every claim made on different web sites. Experience is the best teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:07 pm 
Try upright rows with a barbell. If that hurts your wrists, you might just do dumbell. If they both hurt your shoulders then you can't do them. Some people ( me for example) can't do them at all as they are painful which is a sign of injury. Other people don't have a problem with them. If nothing else laterals work for everyone, there are variations on them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:13 pm 
Yea i did an upright row rep yesterday and i had some shoulder pain for literally 5 minutes. Gues its not right for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anonymous wrote:
Yea i did an upright row rep yesterday and i had some shoulder pain for literally 5 minutes. Gues its not right for me

There's lots of ways to do it: straight bar, ez bar, dumbbells, lower pully. Find the one that's right for you.