ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:31 am 
first question has to do wiht the lower back, is it too much to squat and dead lift on the same day? will that hurt my lower back? on my upper body days i dont do anything that targets the lower back, i dont even do cable rows , i do the straight back type of row

second question is what do you think of non linear periodization

my plan was light/heavy days changing ever 2-4 weeks like so

week 1-2
monday: 3 sets of 6 reps upper body
tuesday: 3 sets of 10 lower body
wed: cardio
thurs: 3 sets of 10 upper body
friday: 3 sets of 6 lower body
sat and sun off

and then change it perhaps to 1-2 weeks of 3x3 and 3x6 and/or do 3x3 and 3x15, then take a week off and start the cycle again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 am 
I do squats and deadlifts the same day. This includes straight legs. You should be ok. Just pay attention to how your back feels and don't push it too hard. Make sure you don't bend very far forward on squats.

The routine looks good for the most part. I think I would add another set or 2 on the 3 rep day though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:57 am 

I too squat and deadlift on the same day, but I'm young with a very healthy body. I'd say try it for a few workouts without going too heavy, and work up to the weights you normally use separately in about 2-3 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:32 pm 
yes i was thinking to myself about adding a few more sets for the power rep range and so far when im dead lifting and squatting on the same day, i feel it in my back, but not in a bad way i dont really know how to describe it

so far its feeling great , and im young as well 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

the first few times I did deadlift after squats it killed my back, but it was in a good way because apparently my erectors were really weak, now after just 2 weeks (3x through my squat & dl day) I feel much less stress through the low back and much more in the hams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:15 pm 
basically im trying to get myself ready for when i start training in muay thai later in the year, i need explosive power, strength and muscular/cardio stamina

so im trainiing light and heavy days changing the rep ranges every 2 weeks from 3 sets of 6 on heavy day to 3 sets of 10-12 on lite day then for the next two weeks 5 sets of 3 on heavy day and 5 sets of 6 on lite day

my new question now is, is the 10-12 rep range going to give me muscular endurence? or do i need to throw in much higher reps to get that muscular endurence?

as for my cardio endurence im doing HIIT daily on the elipitcal/bike and once a week a long steady state cardio day for abou 45 mins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:47 am 

10-12 reps will give you muscular endurance but not with explosiver power.

If you want explosiver power, you have to train explosively.

I would try to build strength and general muscular endurance for a phase and then train some power phases where you do multiple sets in the 2-5 rep range with whatever rest breaks you think are indicative of the times in your sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:00 am 
yes thats why i was thinkign of 2 week cycles of strength/endurence followed by 2 weeks of explosive power work at the 3 rep range with strength training too as for rest times in the sport there really isnt any rest :P your in there for your 3 mins and then you have 1 min rest , i dont know how that would translate into a lift becuase they dont take 3 mins to complete mabye 10 seconds rest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 am 

Well, it depends on the exercise but when you are doing explosive training, you could train something like, do 2 reps every 20 or 30 seconds, for 3-5 minutes straight. This would be done with a weight you could lift explosively of course.

I think the general cycles should be longer than 2 weeks. You could change exercises every 2-3 weeks and perhaps once you are "in season" you could go every 2 weeks but you should have some longer phases in the off season where you can develop the qualities more thoroughly.

If you are going to train 2 days per week, I would do the strength combined with endurance in the 4-6 rep range and then the 10-12 rep range for 4-6 weeks, then a "pre power" cycle of explosive weights in the 2-4 rep range (much lighter percentage, no more than 75%) and keep the strength day (4-6 rep range), and then do a complete power phase with very light weights 30-50%, for the 4 weeks prior to your season and emphasize more specific movements to your sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:38 am 
wont not doing the higher reps for 4-6 weeks at all make me loose any endurence gains i made? ive heard that endurence is the first thing to go training wise, that you have to keep up with it or you loose it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:58 am 

Um...

I guess there is a misunderstanding here.

You will certainly lose endurance in the 10-12 rep range. But training this range will also kill any power you have trained. You dont want 10-12 rep endurance. You want explosive power endurance.

Basically your sport does not require a lot of muscle mass so ther eis no reason to train in the 10-12 rep range save for trying to bulk up in the off season or lose weight or take a break.

It is nearly impossible to maintain high power output over a set of 10-12 reps so you are training slowness. From your posts earlier you said you needed to be explosive. 10-12 reps will not get the job done there and will probably hurt that goal.

Besides, you are still training endurance when you are doing 10 sets of 3 reps ever 30 seconds. But this endurance is specific to your sport and wont take away your explosive power.