ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sprinting and jogging?
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What if you jogged for about 20-30 mins and then switched over to doing a couple of sprints? Do you think this would be effective or not? I would like to maintain some distance, but at same time also build more leg muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:47 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Why not sprint first, and then jog? A couple of warmup laps jogging won't hurt, but 20 - 30 minutes of jogging would might fatigue you too much for serious sprinting.

In either case, I'm not sure that you can build up your legs in the bodybuilding sense without some sort of weight training.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:14 pm 

leif3141 wrote:
What if you jogged for about 20-30 mins and then switched over to doing a couple of sprints? Do you think this would be effective or not? I would like to maintain some distance, but at same time also build more leg muscle.

I think you should clarify 'leg muscle' since, as Stephen pointed out this won't do much in the 'bodybuilding sense'... are you looking to gain leg strength? or size? When you decide what you want then we'll be able to help you better.

Post subject: strength, not size
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was looking to gain leg strength (mostly for sprinting)...but at the same time keep my endurance up. I need to lose about 10 pounds of fat, and read on here all about short sprint training. Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You do not need to run the distance to keep your endurance up. High intensity work will improve endurance better than low intensity work.

Read: http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Endurance.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

George G wrote:
You do not need to run the distance to keep your endurance up. High intensity work will improve endurance better than low intensity work.

Read: http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Endurance.html

I would suggest ONLY doing the "Sprint Repeats" workout at the end of the article and forget the 20-30 minutes of steady state work, at least for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:00 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

George G wrote:
I would suggest ONLY doing the "Sprint Repeats" workout at the end of the article and forget the 20-30 minutes of steady state work, at least for now.

Aerobic training isn't an either/or proposition:

northernbelle wrote:
Generally speaking, long duration moderate cardio burns more calories during exercise; HIIT burns more calories after exercise. Each has a place in a cardio training program.
Here is a bit of comparison from the research:

Long duration Moderate: burns a higher proportion of fat to calories during the moderate exercise; other benefits are increasing aerobic capacity and increasing cardio and respiratory endurance. It is the endurance training for your cardio vascular system.

HIIT: burns a higher proportion of fat to calories after cardio exersice (up to 6 hours); other benefits are- gives the largest increase in metabolism, increased cardio and respiratory output; it is the strength training for your cardio vascular system.

After 24 hours, the fat oxidation levels off to normal for both types of exercise. Both types of cardio exercise can lead to the loss of lean body mass; the way to avoid this is to keep your total fitness program balanced and to counter act the loss of lbm through resistance exercises.

Over time, HIIT will decrease fat mass more than straight moderate cardio will. That is over months and months, not weeks.

A balanced cardio training program addresses both goals: that of fat loss and that of strengthening your cardio vascular system.

I alternate the longer moderate with the HIIT. Because HIIT is so demanding, my old body can't tolerate it two days in a row. I save the low intensity stuff for the grocery store and the mall.

Keep working at the HIIT to build up your skill. You will progress and be pleasantly surprised.

Doing HIIT will improve your cardio strength and thus allow you to run faster, but you can't prepare for a distance race just by doing HIIT. Like northernbelle said, both HIIT and endurance training should be in your cardio program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 am 
I agree that - generally speaking - aerobic training isn't an either/or proposition.

I disagree with northernbelle on the following points:

1) "Both types of cardio exercise can lead to the loss of lean body mass"

True, but HITT will preserve much much much much more lbm.

2) "Over time, HIIT will decrease fat mass more than straight moderate cardio will. That is over months and months, not weeks."

It IS over weeks, and by the end of the month there will definetly be a noticable difference. This difference will become even more noticable over months.
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

I do agree that "A balanced cardio training program addresses both goals: that of fat loss and that of strengthening your cardio vascular system."
But we are not talking about addressing both goals. We are talking about: "I would like to maintain some distance, but at same time also build more leg muscle."

For this purpose I believe doing hitt exclusively (+weights) would be more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am Guest.

Another point that northernbelle touched on briefly is that one has to be careful wil HITT for orthopedic reasons.

Anonymous wrote:
I agree that - generally speaking - aerobic training isn't an either/or proposition.

I disagree with northernbelle on the following points:

1) "Both types of cardio exercise can lead to the loss of lean body mass"

True, but HITT will preserve much much much much more lbm.

2) "Over time, HIIT will decrease fat mass more than straight moderate cardio will. That is over months and months, not weeks."

It IS over weeks, and by the end of the month there will definetly be a noticable difference. This difference will become even more noticable over months.
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

I do agree that "A balanced cardio training program addresses both goals: that of fat loss and that of strengthening your cardio vascular system."
But we are not talking about addressing both goals. We are talking about: "I would like to maintain some distance, but at same time also build more leg muscle."

For this purpose I believe doing hitt exclusively (+weights) would be more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

George G wrote:
For this purpose I believe doing hitt exclusively (+weights) would be more effective

Agreed. If leif3141 did that for several months, his sprinting speed would improve, his legs would get bigger, and his endurance wouldn't take that much of a hit.

Like northernbelle, I'm getting up there in years (53), so doing HIIT every day would be my orthopedist's dream. And unlike many people on this site, I don't dread LSD (long slow distance) cardio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:24 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. I hadn't jumped in as you and George were just great. However, to your statement of doing HIIT becoming an orthopoedists dream, well, LOL, I know where you're going, but there are many ways of doing HIIT. I Do it almost on a daily basis with weights or bodyweight stuff. Just look over on my logs on what I call METCON and complexes. Great way to do it without high impact, or any impact. Really knocks the wind out of you with moderate weights. Consider the Tabata protocol. 8 rounds of say squats, pushups, maybe chins. Each round is 20 sec work, 10 seconds rest. Total time 4 minutes Just a thought.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Fartlick runs...

Do 3-4 miles at moderate pace that you can hold a conversion with, the every other telephone pole (use what ever measuring device you want) sprint as hard as you can.

Incorporating endurance runs with sprint intervals is an awesome why to increase power and speed while maintaining and increasing your endurance.

Post subject: guess I'll do HIIT
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Guess I'll just do HIIT, since it seems to be the general conscensus that it is better overall. I was getting pretty good distance running (6 or 7 miles), but many people are right, I just do not have the time to do that when sprint training takes only half as long most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:24 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

How does this sound to you guys?

HIIT twice a week (monday and thursdays)
Longer distance running once a week (Saturday. 5-7 miles)

That's in addition to playing pickup games of ultimate frisbee or football or whatever.

My goal is to lose some fat, while gaining some speed and endurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:50 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

VoK wrote:
How does this sound to you guys?

HIIT twice a week (monday and thursdays)
Longer distance running once a week (Saturday. 5-7 miles)

That's in addition to playing pickup games of ultimate frisbee or football or whatever.

My goal is to lose some fat, while gaining some speed and endurance.

Sounds like a plan to me!

But you should do some weight training at least twice a week. That will help you preserve lean tissue while you dump the fat