ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:15 am 

Would Incline Bench and dips or regular bench and dips be better? All three might be pushing it...considering it already takes me like 50 mins on my upper body workout...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

All three would be better. You need upper, middle and lower pec development for a balanced looking chest. Just alternate the dips and incline on chest day's.

i.e. Regular Press and Incline one chest day and then Regular and dips the following chest day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:35 am 

The pec major has two "heads": sternal and clavicular. Both work with any movement that moves the arms forward. The clavicular head works a bit more and the sternal a bit less when moving the arms up and forward, as in an incline bench press. The clavicular head works less when moving arms forward and downward in relation to the body, as in a decline bench press or a dip. All the exercises work the sternal head. The inclines work the calvicular head somewhat more, the declines and dips work it less.

There's also pec minor, which works more on declines and dips. It's tucked away behind pec major, and I don't know how much it contributes to the shape of the chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:25 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
There's also pec minor, which works more on declines and dips. It's tucked away behind pec major, and I don't know how much it contributes to the shape of the chest.

The pec minor tends to add to the fullness of the chest, it is not really seen that much even in Ronnie Coleman types, but it a "filler" muscle, so to speak! It is an important mucle in bringing the shoulder downward and towards the centre of the body with it 3 head attach the 3rd, 4th and 5th rib to the scapula, it is worked in dips etc.