ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Muscle recovery
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Guys who said that You cant lift with the same muscle until 2 days after the last time u lifted meaning if you lift chest on onday you cant do it until thursday. Can someone please tell me if you can have a lower resting time and why is it 2 days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 am 

The time between lifting is dependent on how intense your last training day was. You can train several times a day if you want, or if you train like an old style bodybuilder, you may need a week between parts. 2 days is appropriate for beginners and intermediates doing whole body routines. Others may need more or less. I saw a nice chart once that outlined this but I can't find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 pm 

Two day's rest means that if you lift on Monday, you can lift again on Wednesday.

Post subject: Re: Muscle recovery
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:32 am 
n00b
n00b

CoreAlex wrote:
Guys who said that You cant lift with the same muscle until 2 days after the last time u lifted meaning if you lift chest on onday you cant do it until thursday. Can someone please tell me if you can have a lower resting time and why is it 2 days?

only you are going to know if you are recovered from the previous workout. you will learn when you are fully recovered over time. to put a number of days on it is just guessing. and like others said, it depends on the intensity of the previous session, your ability to recover, caloric intake........

Post subject: Re: Muscle recovery
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
CoreAlex wrote:
Guys who said that You cant lift with the same muscle until 2 days after the last time u lifted meaning if you lift chest on Monday you cant do it until thursday.

As Jungledoc noted, if you lift on Monday, then you should be able lift on Wednesday.

Quote:
Can someone please tell me if you can have a lower resting time

Recover can be enhanced (you can "have a lower resting time") but only to a point. How quickly you recovery is dependent on a number of factors (Stu made mentioned).

Quote:
and why is it 2 days?

Becasue there is a correlation between time and the healing process. Clarance Bass presented some research on this in one of his books. The reseach is more like common sense.

"The greater the trama to the body, the longer it takes to recover."

It like Stu stated, "The time between lifting is dependent on how intense your last training day was."

Think of it like breaking your arm. Can you speed up how fast your broken arm mends. If so, how much faster?

Stu also mentioned a chart on it. Stu may be referring to Dr Fred Hatfield's chart. How quickly one recovered was based on factors such.

1) Age (Younger lifters reover faster than older ones).

2) Training Age (How long one has been training). The more years you have been training the longer it takes to recover.

3) Lifter's Size (Larger lifters take longer to recover than lighter lifters)

4) Muscle Size (Larger muscle such as the legs take longer to recover than smaller muscles such as the biceps).

I can't remember the rest of the list.

Better yet, try pushing your max seven day a week in on exercise and see how that works for you.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:18 am 

Kenny, I think you are referring to this: http://drsquat.com/articles/trainingsplit.html
His list of factors is huge.

I think the chart I was thinking of was in Kramer & Fleck's Non Linear Periodization book. It went down to 12 hours between light or technique workouts. I guess that would be "grease the groove" workouts. Weightlifters do that a lot. Of course some of them do several workouts a day.

By the way, I think we decided the OP was a troll. He would just ask questions, get everyone spinning and then never reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
stuward wrote:
Kenny, I think you are referring to this: http://drsquat.com/articles/trainingsplit.html
His list of factors is huge.

That is interesting information but it not the one that I was referring to. I think that I saw it in one of Hatfield's books.

Kenny Croxdale

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]