ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I dig Alice in Chains, Metallica, Godsmack, Disturbed, etc. when I'm lifting. A lot of people around me like to listen to that pop hip hop crap when they're lifting, and I don't understand why. I could see gangster rap when lifting, but stuff like Pretty Ricky?...Hmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:55 am 
Novice
Novice

I am the ONLY one that does this so I'll give you guys a tip.

I have a sansa 200 series (it is superior because it supports so many formats). I have it on a smooth nylon lanyard that goes around the neck. I tie the lanyard off so is short (think choke collar). Now the player is choked up on me nice and high on the top of my chest. Get a pair of in-ear buds that go BEHIND the head. I wrap the cord several times around the player and run it under the lanyard. Now there is very little slack on the headphones that can get caught on anything. This is superior to mounting it on your arm/pocket.

My goal was keeping the player out of harms way, eliminating slack on the headphone wire and (for the love of God) not binding my arm. I can rotate the whole setup so it's behind me if I am to bend over in an exercise.

I'll post a pic of it before I hit the gym on Thursday. :) I really think I'm on to something. Or on something, I'll let you decide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:00 am 
Novice
Novice

I train outdoors at home so usually it's the sound of the birds and the wind and sometimes my 2 yr old daughter screaming coz she's not allowed outside when I'm training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 am 
Novice
Novice

I'd find an MP3 player so annoying that I wouldn't use it. I like to feel unrestricted. If I had a CD player outside I'd mix it up a bit, some 80's metal or some movie themes, but classic rock would be played most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 am 

If you want noise cancelling headphones with out being bulky or made by bose. Then check out the company Shure which sells in-ear head phones. There amazingly comfortable and I guarantee with will block out most noise, of course within reason... but are pricey

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:04 am 
Novice
Novice

back in Black, Thunderstruck, Are you Ready by AC/DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:34 am 
Novice
Novice

Here is my example of how I wear my mp3 player: http://inspic.com/27454CBA

They just came out with a few Samsung models of Mp3 player that have built-in bluetooth so you can use wireless headphones. No more worries about snagging the wire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

the one music that really fires me up is "Till I Collapse" by "Eminem"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:47 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm a Metallica man! Moslty Kill 'em All for work outs but waiting to get to a real gym to try out Death Magnetice their new album! Kill 'em All is mostly 120 to 160 BPM, so I try to find a song that matches the workout and keep my heart rate to the musics tempo! I have Skull Kandy in ear buds, they were [1 million dollars] but they block out most other sound so you can hear music and your heart beat! I have a dodgy cheap brick of an MP3 player, but it's robust so that's perfect for the gym, I wear basketball/street shorts to work out in so I chuck it in the pocket which is long enough to move out of your way and then run the cords up under my t-shirt sort of like DeadFrog but not quite as advanced!I tend to work out at times when there's only experienced lifters in the gym so normally I'm the idiot they're watching out for!

Favourite work out was doing a squat, leg curl and calf raise super set (is that an SS?) to Seek and Destroy by Metallica!

And I hate the pop music crap they play in gyms! I can understand in the cardio room, but in the weight room you need something to get you pumped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:28 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

They play fairly loud music at my gym, mostly metal or rap. Honestly, though, most of the time I can't tell you what songs or artists...I get so focused on what I'm doing I don't really notice the music at all. It's just one more thing to try to block out to ensure I hear the instructions from my trainer properly.

My gym in Japan used to play a local J-pop radio station. Same music in heavy rotation, same inspid host chatter, etc. Good practice for my Japanese, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 am 
n00b
n00b

For the lifting, im pretty easy to please, anything upbeat with distortion - Smash by the Offspring is a favorite but when it comes to running there is nothing like Tool when you are hitting that wall:

"this body - this body holding me... Pain is an illusion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 am 

hardcore, and only hardcore. my gym puts on dance music, or classic rock. two things i cannot work out to.

if i'm doing weights, i usually listen to No Warning, old hatebreed, reign supreme, guns up!, hope conspiracy..heavier stuff.

cardio days i listen to faster stuff. carry on, bane, youth of today, in my eyes, champion etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:33 pm 

techno anybody?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:11 am 
Novice
Novice

I just had to say something..Linkin Park! Enough Said1 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 pm 

I love Michael Bolton, Yanni, Kenny G, Barbara Streisand or Clay Aiken when I'm pumping iron! :lol: