ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've known exrx for about 2 years, and finally started to really read into it. I started working out because I suddenly went from 145lbs to 203lbs during my university days. It is then I started working out with a personal trainer. I worked out 6 days a week, and at that time my trainer never told me about 'overtrain'. But I did successfully drop my weight down to about 130lbs. I then told my trainer, i would like to get bigger and leaner. I was on and off for about a year because of my injury, and I really had no idea what to do. I'm 5'8 and currently 167lbs. I've bulked up a lot, but also with a lot of fat on the waist :(. So I've picked up the HIIT program from the forum, I'm on my 2nd week.

Here is my first question:
I hurt my wirst doing the Barbell Wrist Curl working on my wrist flexors. I think what caused the damaged is because i put my forearm close together not allowing my wrist to curl properly. After 1 set of 15s i felt great pain on the inside of my right wrist.

Now in order to workout without extreme pain on my wrist, I use a wrist band for my wrist. Also I avoid all dumbbell lifts, or bench lifts and sticking to using the smith's lift (not as much strain on my wrist). Now the question is after about a year now, my wrist is feeling a lot better and I tried doing normal benching, I can't bench as much as with smith but at least I can do it but with a little pain in the wrist the following day. Should I lay off the bench still or continue with it? Because I'm afraid no development will happy if i use only the smith to do my shoulder press, and chest. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 am 

First let me say hello, and welcome to the boards. I must say I am impressed with your work ethic, to work from 200lbs down to 130lbs, way to go! (I hope you didn't crash diet... just kidding.) Unfortunately I'm not a doctor, but I can offer you an opinion:
Lay off the bench until your wrist is 100%. That's what I would do. This will allow you to focus on a squat/legs routine, which will help you to build a large frame, then when your wrist is healthy you'll be able to develop your upper body. Again, that's opinion, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think with any injury, you should stop doind things that aggrevate it. So if it hurts don't do it and work around it. If it doesn't go after a while see a doctor.

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Faisal wrote:
Here is my first question:
I hurt my wirst doing the Barbell Wrist Curl working on my wrist flexors. I think what caused the damaged is because i put my forearm close together not allowing my wrist to curl properly. After 1 set of 15s i felt great pain on the inside of my right wrist.

Are you using a straight bar? Use an EZ-bar if you can, otherwise use dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:34 pm 
When you get better, I'd recommend warming up the formerly afflicted area COMPLETELY before moving on to the heavier weights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome. I will continue to work around the injury.

strathmeyer: I am using the EZ-BAR now actually and it seem to be working, and I guess I will have to stick to it until my wrist is fully healed before moving onto the real bench. As for Dumbbells, it's okay if i don't go heavy, but once the weight goes up, wrist pain starts....so it's not an option right now hopefully in the near future.

Post subject: Anthony
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:55 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]