ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The mummy band
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

A lot of us "mothers" at the gym have a thick band of fat in the ab section that our trainers told us "was inevitable after 2 babies" and suggested that we wear stomach control belts to eliminate them.According them just wearing the belt for a couple of weeks for 24 hrs with no break will help us get rid of this band. The belts, they say should be worn so tight that it squeezes the stomach and abs.I am very sceptical about this and would like your opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:09 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think the first myth on this page says it all:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Nanda, I have no idea of who your trainers are, but do NOT buy into that for a minute. I know mothers sometimes have a problem with fat, but, unfortunately, unless you are a Hollywood movie Star, and have the time and money to get one on one training, diet and nutrition help, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way. Some powerlifters wear a belt, , but it's for back/midsection stabilization for when lifting in competition for maximum , all out, lifts. And even then, they don't snug them up too tight (OK< maybe some go overboard), but bear in mind, if you snug them too tight, and you squat or deadlift too much, it causes the pressure to go downwards below the belt, and into your lower intestines, possibly causing a hernia. Trust me, I know, that's how I got my hernia, twice. As far as any heat, causing fat to melt, throw that into the category of "snake oil medicine". Watch your diet, read some of the stuff Ironmaiden Stickied in the Diet and Nutrition section, and a lot of Berardi's articles, coupled with exercise of your choice, and you should be fine. May not go away overnight, but give it a shot, and it will go.
Best to you
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:09 am 

The control bands are made to give the illusion of a slimmer waist but do nothing on their own to cause the waist to get smaller. That can only happen through fat loss. Many women are succesful with getting rid of their post-pregnancy fat so it's not "inevitable".

I'm speculating here, but there may be an effect on the TVA that once the body gets used to being tight all the time, you may subconsiously tighten the abs afterwards. It's really no different than sucking in your belly. There is no real change, you just look different as long as you suck it in. I suppose there could also be some repossitioning of the intestines and probably a reduction in the contents due to the constriction. Of course this would be a temporary effect that really doesn't address any real issues. I also don't think it's healthy.

The only means of achieving any real change is to address the muscle and fat. Like Tim said, you have to do that the old fashioned way.

Stu