ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:24 pm 

In the meantime, it probably won't hurt to take your last set further, as long as you can do it with good form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:56 am 

nygmen wrote:
You mentioned the 3x5 being awkward because you felt you had more in you.

This will go away when you find your true working weight. As you move up in weight and start to find the real limits of your strength (based on your statement you have a ways to go it seems) you will no longer feel like you could do more… ha ha

Soon it won't be hard to stop anymore, promise.

You are very likely correct. I think I'm still very cautious when adding weight to the Bar. I would likely do much better if I had someone to workout with.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:49 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
In the meantime, it probably won't hurt to take your last set further, as long as you can do it with good form.

I might try this.

Let's compare yesterday's Chest Workout to last weeks Chest Workout.

Yesterday....
Basic 3x5x85 BP

Last week....(OLD Routine)
Incline Chest Press (Machine)
Warmup 20Rx40#
Working 15x70 12x80 10x80

Flat Bench Press (Machine)
16x45 12x80 11x80 9x80

And those are just the 2 forward pressing Motions. The Last set was almost always to Failure or Near Failure. The Problem is those exercises were with Machines, which limit ROM and do not require any stabilizer muscles. I'm quite confident that I could Press a lot more weight than the 85# Barbell BP, but I have trouble stabilizing more weight.

It's Just a little frustrating to start out, but it will get better.

I do look forward to the the rest my legs will get by not lifting today or tomorrow. The Weekly volume and intensity of the Leg Workout is much more than I'm used to.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 am 

I understand. On that third set, if you still feel like you have plenty of gas in the tank, I don't think it hurts to go ahead and pump out a few more reps, if you can keep form solid. In the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program (a basic compound, 3x5) they say to do as many as you can on the third set, not over 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am 

Thanks Again Doc...

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
I understand. On that third set, if you still feel like you have plenty of gas in the tank, I don't think it hurts to go ahead and pump out a few more reps, if you can keep form solid. In the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program (a basic compound, 3x5) they say to do as many as you can on the third set, not over 10.

One coach, John Christy, would recommend occasionally pushing the last set until 1-2 reps short of failure. So for example you'd do 2 x 5, and then the 3rd set do maybe 6, 7, 8 reps if you could manage them. If not, you know you're really working the right weight for 3 x 5 because you can't do more than 3 x 5. But if you get 2 x 5, 3 x 7, you know you're working closer to your 7-rep max and you can bump the weight up just a bit more than you would if you only got 3 x 5.

So you can use that last set to see if you can go up a little faster. Go up 10# instead of 5#, or 15# instead of 10#, whatever, because you know you've really got it in you.

Just another suggestion. I mean, I've got no issues with people working 3 x 5 or whatever, increasing the weight slowly, even if they're spending a few weeks below their "true" maximum. It's not like taking it slow and steady is costing you anything but time, and it gives the body plenty of time to adapt to all the work your making it do.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm 

Hmmm, I have been feeling a little under the weather tha past couple of days. My Wife and daughter were sick (cold/Flu Symptoms) Last week and I fear that they may have infected me. ARRGGHHHH...

Anyway, what is the general concensus regarding feeling a little sick/rundown before workouts. Should I go to the Gym today or not. I really want to, but I also know that if I am truly sick, then working out could cause my recovery to be prolonged.

My Symptoms.
Light Sore Throat (Almost feels like the Typical Allergy issues)
Very Minor Congestion..
Achy Bones/muscles...
Just generally Tired and Rundown...

Of all the Symptoms, the Achy Bones and Muscles and feeling Rundown/tired are the two that force me to question going to the Gym. Neither of which are normal for me.

If I was sneezing and felt contagious, or truly miserable, I wouldn't even question myself and would just stay home, but..... I don't feel "THAT" bad..

What would everyone else do?

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I you feel you must workout, why not try some bodyweight stuff around the house as "actove rest" or "metcon". A simple circuit of pushups, bodyrows or chins, and bodyweight squats or 1 legged squats should work quite nice, or sub in DB swings for the bodyweight squats, or even burpees. I would NTgo to the gym, but for other resons. You don't want to affect others.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:21 pm 

I find that sometimes when I feel that way, I go to the gym anyway. I don't go with any expectation that I'll set new PRs or anything. I just warm up and do what I think I can. I usually surprise myself. If I feel so bad that I don't want to get out of bed, that's where I stay. If you think you might have something contagious, stay home anyway out of respect for others.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:16 pm 

hahaha...

Tim says stay home and workout and Stu say go on (assuming I don't feel contagious).

I also feel like I need to workout, and I am here at the office now, so I didn't feel like I should just stay home this morning.

I don't really feel contagious either, but this is mainly due to not coughing or hacking everywhere or any signs of a fever.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm 

wilburburns wrote:
Hmmm, I have been feeling a little under the weather tha past couple of days. My Wife and daughter were sick (cold/Flu Symptoms) Last week and I fear that they may have infected me. ARRGGHHHH...

Anyway, what is the general concensus regarding feeling a little sick/rundown before workouts. Should I go to the Gym today or not. I really want to, but I also know that if I am truly sick, then working out could cause my recovery to be prolonged.

My Symptoms.
Light Sore Throat (Almost feels like the Typical Allergy issues)
Very Minor Congestion..
Achy Bones/muscles...
Just generally Tired and Rundown...

Of all the Symptoms, the Achy Bones and Muscles and feeling Rundown/tired are the two that force me to question going to the Gym. Neither of which are normal for me.

If I was sneezing and felt contagious, or truly miserable, I wouldn't even question myself and would just stay home, but..... I don't feel "THAT" bad..

What would everyone else do?

Cliff

Mr. Rippetoe said something along the lines of:

If it’s a cold, go and workout through it, it is mainly just a sinus issue. (I go even if I may be contagious, because that is probably where I caught it in the first place. And I’m younger therefore still rude & stupid.)

For the flu, stay home and rest, because it effects your entire system

It was on this board somewhere. I can’t pin point it for you, I’m at work, sorry.

http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisp ... 5754c&f=36

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm 

I didn't end up working out at all yesterday. As the Day went on, the way I felt kept getting worse.

Then this morning, I ended up staying home and for the most part have not moved from the Bed or Chair. :cry: In retrospect, I should have tried to get an appointment at the Dr office to see if they would give me an anti-biotic. My age and experience says that I likely have at least one ear infection if not a double ear infection.

If nothing changes overnight, I will definitely get an appt with my Doc for tomorrow. And this will likely cause me to miss tomorrow's workout also.. ARRGGHHHH...

The good side is that this is only week 2 for SS, therefore, if I have to completely reset, I have not lost that much... I'm sure it will help me work on Form that much more.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 am 

On those squats:

I think the problem isn't psychological or insufficient warmup (or too much warmup). You had a week off and went right back to squatting 5 x 85# when your last workout wasn't even a full 3 sets of 5 at that weight. You got 4.5/5/5, and then a week off from illness and then wanted to get 5/5/5. That's not going back to your previous poundage, that's trying to set a new PR after a week off.

Next workout, just go up to 80 and do 3 x 5 x 80, then go for 85 the workout after. You're coming back from a brief layoff plus trying for new poundages. That's not going to work very often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:32 am 

Pete,

You are 100% correct. I should not have stepped under the bar at that weight..

In Reality, When I left the house to go to the Gym, I had in my mind I was going to put 75# on the Bar and Squat. However, After my cardio and warmup (BW and 45#), I started putting the weight on the Bar and it ended up at 85#.

This is where some of the psychological part comes in. First off, I talked myself into putting the extra 10# on the Bar thinking I could do it and would be fine. Then, as I get under the bar to lift it, I again began second guessing myself thinking I should have stuck to my original plan of lifting only 75#. So, of course I failed. My Mind kept playing tricks on me.. ARRGGHH...

Warmup problems... Additionally, I don't think I rest long enough between my Warmup reps and My First Working Set. I get impatient and want to actually start my working sets. This is also a mental issue, but it could also be because I'm not completely sure how I should be warming up yet. I found a link to an XLS Spreadsheet once that had a proper warmup routine for SS. I need to see if I can find that again.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

How did the warm up feel today?

In my experience as an amateur athlete it pays to warm up more than less! I'm willing to bet after 20 reps of 80% or your work set or less you weren't as fatigued as you thought you would be but it helped to you think about where there were issues in your technique or at least practice your technique before lifting heavy right?

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next