ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:33 pm 

If you guys are interested, have comments, questions or concerns please feel free…

Plus I love to talk... So anything really is acceptable with me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 am 

Just a weird side note…

Yesterday I saw a woman sort of galloping sideways on the tread mill. First facing the left, then facing the right. She looked fit and like she was doing it for a reason.

What was she doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

She was running sideways!

I've seen people doing sideways runs in sports practice; maybe she was just doing that on the treadmill. We used to do side-scrambles like that in my Japanese MMA gym...you'd mirror a partner, and when someone clapped you'd have to reverse directions. I'm not sure how good this all is for general fitness, but it was sure tiring and helped improve our ability to reverse directions during a match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:34 pm 

So it's just like back pedaling in football practice. That seems pretty reasonable. She looked like she knew what she was doing, and i was really curious, but i'm not going to be THAT creepy guy that asks her in the gym... Ugh that guy.

Saw a guy today doing a Crossfit circut, if that's the right word for them. Ended up chatting with him for awhile about it. He said he has been doing them for a month or so and is still getting stronger even though he doesn't touch anywhere near his 5RM let alone his 1RM.

I'm thinking about growing a set and giving it a shot. Being dead for two days after 25 mins of working out seems to be a pretty productive way to use your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:06 pm 

You could always ask her next time you see her and she's done. Just be nice, keep on the subject, and let it go. Hard to be creepy if you're sticking to "I saw you running sideways on the treadmill, and you seem to really know what you're on about. What's the benefit of doing that?"

If you're staring at her chest when you ask, though, it's creepy.

As for crossfit, if you like the idea of metcons, take a look at this framework - gymnastics + max effort lifts + short crossfit circuits/metcons:

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2560

Hope that helps.

Last edited by pdellorto on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:32 pm 

Thanks for the link... I sure have a lot of reading ahead of me, this is a pretty good case of why starting might be the smartest thing...

Sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:10 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Erik, speaking of crossfit, nice little program, but IMHO not enough ME work. Pete gave a good link to one way to handle it. Here is another way.
http://coachrut.blogspot.com
He uses what he calls an ME blackbox approach., where he focuses on a 5X5 or similar for one lift, once weekly, and use 3 lifts in the course of a week. Each heavy lifting session for the chosen lift is followed by a 10 min follow on metcon. His exaple is 3 months long.In his archives, they start on Jan 01 2008. Just an interesting thought, as it sounds like you're more into strength, but desire some of the suck it up style of "circuits" the crossfitters do. I use coach ruts blackbox as a rough guideline and love the mix of conditioning with strength work.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm 

Thanks Tim.

Your guys are great.

Yeah as i sat there gassed after doing deads I started thinking that for singles i could go up 40lbs, but for reps, i was at my max. I had snoped around the crossfit stuff a few times, and then I saw someone in "real life" doing it, and he has nothing but great things to say.

My first, and basically uneducated, plan was to rotate strenght v. fit around every 4 weeks, but i'm going to look into both links after i pass my test on wednesday.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 pm 

Good luck on your test. As to strength v fit, just one thing to consider. IF you specialize every 4 weeks, you will get better at both during that period, HOWEVER, when going to the other specialization mode, you will loose some of what you started with from the first specialization. One of the pitfalls of periodization. Whereas, with a conjugate method (using both), you may not gain as fast in both areas, but will probably retain it better. Just something to think about.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:18 pm 

That’s a good point Tim.

I certainly don’t want to lose anything, at least not in the “big 3.” Plus I worked pretty hard to get back to where I am, I don’t want to drop back YET. I know it’s inevitable, but not yet please.

I still haven’t done enough research, but I’m starting to think the example you posted, a hybrid is better, one lift a week. (I can just do Deads every other week, Ha HA.)

I'll figure out what i want to do and probably implement it around the 21st. I have one more section of the CPA to pass, so i need to study that rather than lifting until then. :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:36 am 

Tolls on the turn pike: $3.10

Snacks of water and Nuts on turnpike: $6.29

Gas to drive 325 miles roundtrip: $40.00

Driving home to teach your 48 year old mother, and 44 year old aunt how to squat and Deadlift: Priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 pm 

Congrats on the DL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Congrats on the DL!

Thank you so much.

God it felt awesome.

That is the most weight I have ever moved in my entire life. I kind of just stood there at the top holding it.

Writing this almost brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 pm 

Here is why you can lift more when you hold your breath:

http://www.backfitpro.com/articles/Enha ... ffness.pdf

Basically, if you hold your breath you create more internal pressure, which in turn allows you to prevent any of your strength from being wasted. Pushing a rope vs. pushing a stiff pole, basically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
Here is why you can lift more when you hold your breath:

http://www.backfitpro.com/articles/Enha ... ffness.pdf

Basically, if you hold your breath you create more internal pressure, which in turn allows you to prevent any of your strength from being wasted. Pushing a rope vs. pushing a stiff pole, basically.

Cool, thanks...

So i'm not doing something stupid. It just felt right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next