ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

If you were to train one modality at a time. Speed, power, focus, technique, control,aim, which order whould you do it in?

For example a baseball pitch or a boxing rear hand straight punch.

I think it's technique,control,focus,aim,speed and only than power.

What do you guys think? I saw it in one motor learning book a while back and now can't find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree with your order. Pretty spot on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks man!

Is there a book that covers this stuff? I have to coach soon and want to do a good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not that I know of.
I was just thinking to what my Muay Thai trainer says to me.
You're order sounded just the same only not so many factors, basically just:
Technique, control, aim, speed, always power last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

lightningsix wrote:
Technique, control, aim, speed, always power last.

The way I learned was "technique, accuracy, timing, speed/power." Basically:

- throw the punch/kick/baseball/whatever correctly.
- throw it where you want it.
- throw it when appropriate and so it will arrive when and where you need it.
- throw it HARD, which will make it fast.

If you try power first, you'll lock in bad habits. Worry about correct form, the distance will come.

There is a good e-book out there on discus throwing by Dan John that discusses this specifically for throwing sports. The lessons - get the form down, work on the power after you can do the technique correctly - apply widely:

http://danjohn.org/book.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Masterintraining wrote:
If you were to train one modality at a time. Speed, power, focus, technique, control,aim, which order whould you do it in?

For example a baseball pitch or a boxing rear hand straight punch.

I think it's technique,control,focus,aim,speed and only than power.

What do you guys think? I saw it in one motor learning book a while back and now can't find it.

Your question is a bit vague. A better answer could be formulated if more information were provided.

First of all, "Technique is everthing." It need to be constantly trained. You want to reinforce good habits.

Control and aim fall under technique.

By constantly practicing technique you "hardwire" the movemement into your brain. No time is lost having to think about what to do, you just do it.

Forcus also need to be constantly trained. Focus is a form of self hypnosis. We all use to, some much better than others.

An analogy of focus would be driving your car at 30 miles per hour. You have much more peripheral vision. You see more of what is going on around you.

If you take your eyes off the rode for a second, you can easily correct any mistake that might occur.

If your driving at 130 miles per hour, you peripheral vision is limited. Your vision is limited to what is only in front of you, not to the side.

If you take your eyes off the road for a second, you can quickly make a mistake that is incorrectable.

Visualization training (self hypnosis) is the key to increasing your "focus" during a "game," whatever you game/sport may be.

The "modality" of speed, power and for that matter strength training is depend the physical requirements of the sport.

Before touching on it, one needs to remember that the foundation of power and speed is built on strength. By increasing your strength, you automatically increase your power and your speed.

If power is needed for the sport, then it needs to be trained at the end. Strength and speed needing to be trained earlier in one's program. That is what "Periodization Training" is about.

With that said, conjugate training is a very effective method, training two modalities at the same time.

The poster children for conjugate training are Olympic Weightlifters. They employ strength, power and speed movement in their training. Inso doing, they are some of the srongest most powerful athletes in sports.

Olympic Weightlifter's power outputs (measured in watts per kilo of body weight) are at the top of the athletic scale.

Olympic Weightlifter are also some of the strongest athletes in sports.

The strength and power Olympic Weightlifters possess is a product of their conjugate training method.

Kenny Croxdale

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]