ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Don't know if this is really a suitable question for here but you guys have given great advice thus far. I've posted before about motivation or lack there of, and just wondering if anyone has gone through something like this before.

First off, I'm 19, in college and a fraternity. Since being in college though I have a very big lack of motivation with it seems to be life. My diet is poor and the lack of doing things causes binge eating to the point of feeling sick. But the main problem is, having bursts of positive thoughts and motivation on certain days, only to be followed with laziness with everything. I can't concentrate on school work, lazy in doing basic everyday things and find myself not going outside and being active like I used to. I'm not sure if this is a sign of depression or whatnot but just wondering if there's any advice.

Thanks, again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It could be depression. It wouldn't hurt to talk to a medical professional.

There could be dietary reasons for your moods. Getting off the carbs and junk food and working out regularily can definately improve your mood but there is no way of knowing over the internet what the real issue is.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Stu, yeah the biggest issue I think with all of it and the moods is my self confidence-image. I stay in or secluded because I'm afraid of what people think I look like or I'm not happy with what I look like myself at all. that's the biggest reason I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:48 pm 

I've read through some of your earlier posts and you mention some yo-yo dieting, weight loss over 80 lbs, starting to lift but I get the sense that you're not consistent. You seem to have a number of issues that you need to sort out.

Where exactly are you with your weight, diet and training?

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been yo-yoing still and will be organized for a couple days and then just fall apart again. I think I expect too much at once instead of a gradual lifestyle change. I'll hit the gym for a good solid week then miss a day then another and another until its back to sqaure 1. My diet is the biggest problem with trying to figure out what to eat, and staying away from the bad foods. I can eat fine, I just eat too much of horrible foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm 

Do you understand how to eat properly? Can you tell the difference between a good and bad diet? Read the stickies in the diet and nutrition section.

Consistency is the most important factor in both diet and training. You need to learn how to eat and how to train in such a way that you can sustain it. You need to build healthy habits. Eventually eating junk should feel repulsive. Sitting on the couch watching TV for 3 hours should feel alien to you. Reaching that point should be your goal.

Organization may be the answer. I sense that you have issues in other areas of you life as well. You've mentioned school work. There are strategies available to help in this area.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni43a5.htm
http://admin.sfcc.edu/~DRC/Independence ... tegies.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:13 pm 

You could be depressed, but I had similar issues in college (and have also been suicidal and medicated much earlier in my life).

My junior year I had the same problems in general, without the yo-yo, I was plane old fat. Then I broke my wrist. I know it seems trivial but losing my right hand for 4 weeks really made me reevaluate what I was doing with my life. Outside for a few short periods I haven’t looked back. I may have not been in the gym in awhile, but I was establishing my career, diving in head first.

I’m not saying go out and put your life in peril to try and change it, but you could always volunteer to help those in need. Hand out food to the homeless or something. I mean see with your own eyes what it is like to not have much opportunity in your life. To see what total and real hopelessness is. Witness and experience true rock bottom.

If that doesn’t help you take advantage of what is around you, then maybe a trip to a professional might be a good idea.

Just repeat to yourself a common theme in life… 9 times out of 10 things could be worse. (One of my buddies has testicular cancer @ 22 years old, and his “wife” filed for divorce last month. He won’t be alive to sign the papers, and his 4 year old son probably won’t even remember him.)

Your in College, best years of your life, and you might even stumble into a career too…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 am 

I think the guys gave you some good advice.

For my part, I'll keep it brief:

Find out what you want to do, and go do that. If it takes proper diet and exercise to do it, your motivation will be that it gets you where you want to go. Exercise and proper diet won't be a chore, it'll be a simple step towards your goal.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, to all you guys. It really has helped. I've just been up and down with the weight stuff for the past year and it's gotten to me mentally big time. I just have to commit to something and stick with it, I think the biggest problem now is just binge eating and controlling what I eat and how much. But thanks for everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 pm 

A few eating things that helped me…

Whey… It was a huge addition to my diet. I generally enjoyed the taste, and made it a bit creamy with less milk. (I use soy now, used delicious milk before.) When I was lifting heavy, it was a pretty good snack.

Pistachios - fantastic tasting snack, and takes some effort to eat so you're having a hard time just shoveling them in your mouth, you have to eat them slower.

Clif Bars - Taste good not pure saw dust.

Frozen Veggies - Nothing wrong with a veggie binge, and a filling bowl is only 4 mins away in a microwave.

I started with one "cheat" a day, then after a few weeks it became one "cheat" a week. And after a few months I could cheat whenever I wanted, because at that point I didn't really want to, the craving went away, except for pizza. (I should also add, it was college and I was drinking a ton. And by ton I mean a handle of tequila every 3 or 4 days by myself. I worked in a liquor store, the best college job ever. So that was technically a cheat.)

Diet is one of the hardest life style changes around. But know you don't have to re-invent the wheel in one day. Take your time, find foods that you enjoy, are good for you, and eat a lot of those. Try changing what you eat before worrying about not bingeing. Binge on salad. Just a suggestion, but different methods help different people different ways.

Try it a different way this time.

You don't have to go total hardcore healthy in one day, try one month or even one year. (I would try shorter than a year though... :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
First off, I'm 19, in college and a fraternity.

I just thought of this…

Are you smoking a ton of weed and drinking heavy? If so, slow down, your mood will improve.

If not, sorry if I insulted you.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

haha I actually have toned down on both of those. I would love to still drink but feel I can't because of the weight I want to lose and poor diet. I'm trying for a substantial weight/fat loss and while I would drink every weekend, I don't because of that very reason. Also I drunk munch like no other which is another problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
haha I actually have toned down on both of those. I would love to still drink but feel I can't because of the weight I want to lose and poor diet. I'm trying for a substantial weight/fat loss and while I would drink every weekend, I don't because of that very reason. Also I drunk munch like no other which is another problem.

I'm not a fan of breaking laws, but your in college, an as long as your NOT DRIVING, I think you okay.

I lost weight drinking heavy. I stopped drinking period for about 3 weeks in the beginning, but that didn't last, it was college. (I don't recommend you drink but…) I stopped drinking beer though. I drank red wine and hard liquor. (I do recommend red wine in moderation. A good Pinot Noir with a super spicy steak is fantastic.)

I would say absolutely drop the smoking, but getting a little tipsy in college, go for it man. (Don't binge drink though.) Only because trying to change your life 100% in one giant swing might be too much to maintain. Plus I don't think hanging out with your brothers and partying (within reason) is going to set you back too far, being social will help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:37 pm 

I'd really agree with what's been said about depression. Most universities have a student health center where both medical care and counseling are available without charge.

Alcohol and mj can both contribute to depression, and neither one contributes to success in college!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
I'd really agree with what's been said about depression. Most universities have a student health center where both medical care and counseling are available without charge.

Alcohol and mj can both contribute to depression, and neither one contributes to success in college!

Unless you're a creative writing or philosophy major.