ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:52 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi Dudes,

I posted a message a few months ago titled 'ShoulderBursitis Help'. After about 4-5 months of rehab I've been very happy with the progress I have made with my shoulder through rotator cuff strengthening exercises. I'm back to my best ever lifts with bench presses however I still get impingement in my shoulder with over head exercises such as pullovers and shoulder presses (both a must for an awesome complete physique in my opinion). I also still cannot sleep comfortably on that shoulder either. I have a partially torn supraspinatus tendon and inflammed/enlarged bursa in my left shoulder. You see once the bursa stretches or enlarges, it's very hard to deflate the bursa again back to its original healthy size/state. This enlargement causes a limited range of motion within the acronym of the shoulder and overhead activities become difficult & painful as a consequence. So the surgery I have will simply cut the enlarged area of the bursa as well as placing a few stitches in the partially torn tendon. My advice to u all is this: If your shoulders are anything less than perfect, and your a passionate trainer like me, than make sure u peform rotator cuff strengthening exercises at least twice a week and make it integral to use perfect form and technique when performing free weight exercises in particular such as bench press, shoulder press, dips and pullovers. Always remember, bodybuilding is a marathon not a sprint. The more consistent you are the better your results. Stay injury free and it will make it a hell of alot easier to achieve your desired physique. I aprreciate the fact that training the rotator cuff muscles may not be an enjoyable experience like other exercises where u actually see great results and obtain awesome muscle pumps from, but let me tell u from experience, it is these exercises that can save your bodybuilding career. My surgery will take place in about a months time so I'll keep you all posted on how I go. Let me know of any views or opinions you have on this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

During my work years, the two main occupational risks were carpal tunnel syndrome and rotator cuff injuries. So, for years, I did wrist/forearm exercises and rotator cuff exercises with low to medium weights. I did these faithfully, and it paid off. I managed to avoid these injuries.

I am a firm believer in working your weak areas to strengthen them and the muscles surrounding them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:23 am 
What exercises would you suggest for training the rotator cuffs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:23 am 

Best of luck with your surgery and future training, that's really tough man. Having suffered at most only a minor lower back injury during my (admittedly, short) lifting career, I can't imagine what you've gone through. I get impatient if I miss the gym more than two days in a row, to be sidelined for months would probably kill me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

WolfsRain wrote:
What exercises would you suggest for training the rotator cuffs?

Front lateral raises, and internal and external rotation.

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html#anchor511734
http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html#anchor786678

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Here's a range of motion exercise:
Stand with your arms down your sides, palms facing back. Raise straight arms straight over your head and slightly back, as far as you can without straining. Bring straight arms down and back behind you as far as you can. Do this smoothly and slowly- no swinging. It probably could be done with very light weights, like 3-5 pounds. The idea is to increase your range of motion only.

Another one I did: stand holding dumbbells pointing up and down, upper arms down your sides and forearms out front, parallel to the floor. Move forearms out to the sides, keeping your elbows bent. Bring dumbbells back to meet in the centre. Keep the movement controlled and fluid. There is a variation of this one lying on your side on the bench and moving one arm at a time.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:25 pm 
Nice nice...

what about these exercises?

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp