ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:47 am 
Can the Military Press be done on the same workout as the Push Press?
That way both fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibres would be worked, but I don't know if it works that way.

... or would I be better off having one day focus on only oly lifts (push press, snatch, clean+jerk, etc), and one day on slower lifts (push press, bench press, bb row, etc)?

... or is the military press not neccessary due to the use of the push press?

My goal is to gain both explosiveness, power, strength and size.

I've seen some vids where the guy would clean the weight, do a few reps of military press, then go straight to push press. He alternates between both on one set.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:23 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

In short, yes. A good way to incorporate them is do a set using both. 3 MP+ 2 PP for a set of 5. Works well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:34 am 

Oe other thought, I read through a little too quickly, but having a hybrid program with a day devoted to strength (think slow, like BP, SQ) is just fine, another day might be devoted to the power versions of the lifts plus some front or overhead squats, and if desired another day for the classical lifts themselves. The combinations are simply limitless. My opinion is the more the heavy basics, both slow and quick, is great, kist not all in the same session.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 pm 
Thanks

I'll do the 3MP + 2PP. I did it this afternoon and it as really intense :)

I was wondering, is it okay to train oly lifts twice a day?

on the first time, I will focus on using as much weight as I can.
on the 2nd time, I will focus on technqiue only by just using the barbell (with no plates).

I was wondering if the above would effect muscle recover and/or muscle gains, etc.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:49 pm 

Well, I'm sure this will go against the gain with some that are not into O lifting, but multiple times/day, 6-7 X week with a light or unloaded bar for technique is probably the best way to go. Loaded, even then it is OK, but I'd separate the moves, Say snatch related in the AM, Jerk or Squat related in the afternoon.
Good training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:01 am 
I have a question about my form in oly lifts.

Yesterday, I decided to improve my form by shrugging more. Usually, the next day, my traps would be sore.

But today, they're not sore, instead my upper back is sore.

Is this right?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:27 pm 

You're probably just getting used to it. Tink hard about getting your shoulders shrugged up to the ears, even in the pressing/jerking movements, and especially while holding the weight overhead in the snatch. It really helps. For more info see
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/index.htm
Lots of good info there. Start in the learning the basics section.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

holy crap that site makes me sad...poor guy :(.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:12 am 
Is the Military Press and Push Press good for building mass in the Lateral Delts (side shoulders)?

Would combining the MP+PP in one set boost muscle mass in the lateral delts?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 am 

By themselves, they probably effect the front delts more. but when cleaning the bar from the floor, then doing them, you are really nailing the whole shoulder girdle to include upper back.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 am 
Thanks

So the cleaning motion from floor to shoulders works every part of the shoulder including the lateral delts?

What compound exercises work primarly the lateral delts? because I've noticed I'm lacking in that area a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:42 am 

Well, I rarely if ever do isolation moves, but side laterals will hit it nicely. Uprightrows with a clean (slightly wider than shoulder width) or snatch gripwill get them, but if you are true to your name of Mr Oly and doing clean and pushpress and snatches, I wouldn't even worry about it Eons ago when I first started out, we used a progression of or 4 upright rows (pulls) with knee flexion, then immediately lowered the bar to the RDL position and either cleaned or snatched it depending on grip width of the pulls/rows for 3-4 reps. That will definately get the whole shoulder girdle, and the snatches will help with rotation as well. However, if you feel you are lacking, try laterals.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:33 pm 

Acouple of other thoughts you may want to try. The first is fairly standard, the 2nd will make most non O lifters cringe.
Clean a couple of DB's to the shoulders (or take them off racks or stands, there are hooks you can get a hold of to hang DB's off of Barbells). At the shoulders, get the elbows pointing out 90 degrees to the side, with a semi supinated grip (palms facing each other) and press/pushpress them. This will tend to shift the focus to the whole shoulder girdle.
2nd.With a barbell, put it on your back like your going to squat. I like to use a snatch grip (wide) for these, but in a bit closer to the shoulders will work too. Just get it comfortable so that you don't aggravate anything. Press/pushpress it. A drill we used to use was to initiate a pushpress in this fashion, and drop underneath the bar into the snatch receiving position (full overhead squat). Good learning drill for the snatch.
Tim