ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
haha I actually have toned down on both of those. I would love to still drink but feel I can't because of the weight I want to lose and poor diet. I'm trying for a substantial weight/fat loss and while I would drink every weekend, I don't because of that very reason. Also I drunk munch like no other which is another problem.

How you doing these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

With the whole mental aspect of everything I'm doing really well and enjoying everything. Workout/diet wise I am struggling a lot. I will wake up each morning saying todays the day, but I'll end up eating crappy and not going to work out. Then that night I'll sit and be mad about how I look and have no self esteem. Trying to just get that final motivation I need to do it and not turn back, it's there I know it, it just seems that I'm tempted so easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Also meant to ask, you said you had drank in college and worked out. Did you lose weight in college and if so, how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:27 pm 

I didn't lose weight, I lost fat.

I was 195 when I broke my wrist. And my gut was getting to the point where I was losing sight of you know, my toes. I was skinny fat though. Skinny around the shoulders and neck, fat from the knees to nipples.

After about 4 months of lifting and eating right, and yes drinking way more than I should have, I was still 195, but I could see my toes again, and my shirts fit around the waist again. I started my career at 205, and then stopped lifting because I'm stupid and was lazy and overwhelmed. Grew to about 225 of fat, and over a year slimmed down to 180 just mainly by watching portions and carb intake.

Then I fell back in love with lifting, so here I am…

The thing with drinking and lifting, I was a few years older, so it shouldn't bother you too much. (Plus I was doing a stupid split.) But, I drank a TON of water, I mean a ton. I ate a lot of protein, and was at the gym, or swimming everyday.

This will sound lame, but you know what helped motivate me some days? There was this guy Shawn. He was a condescending p(*&k, and all the while was just a whiner on the inside. He was bigger than me, mostly fat, but stronger too, and one night when we were drunk he disrespected my date, she left, and started pushing me around. So every time the urge to not go to the gym, to not do that last set came, I just thought "You know, Shawn wouldn't go today either." Ten mins later I was driving to the gym. I promised myself I was going to be a better person than him. (Wow that sounds really awful now that I say it out loud.) But now I use a guy named Mark, but Mark has been cool lately, so I have to find a new victim of my stupidness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 pm 

But it is great you have your head and emotions starting down the right track. Just keep pushing, you'll be fine.

And I can't stress how awful weed is for your motivation enough. Just quit for 6 months or so, and I bet you won't want to go back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:30 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
it just seems that I'm tempted so easily.

Don't ever say this to your girlfriend/wife. She will never let you forget your just like most men and have zero will power. HA HA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:02 am 

I thought of something while I was falling asleep last night…

I read in an article on T-Nation the other day about one of the coaches and how he approaches his lifting. He gets a plan together, say what he wants to do for squats, goes in, warms up, does his 3 sets and leaves. That’s it.

There is no rule you have to go in and do 6,000 lifts everyday. You can start slow and just plan on doing one thing. You know, Deadlift Monday, Bench Tuesday, squat Wednesday, Row Thursday, Overhead press Friday, and start again on Monday, well do chins on Saturday too.

It might be easier to motivate for one lift, 20 mins at the gym, than it is for a more traditional routine. Then after a few months, habit might allow you to start adding different things to different days without having to try to motivate, because you already will be.

Just a thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again man.

I normally have the motivation to lift and have started a full body routine because while I had been lifting for a good six months, I was doing split body. I still like the split body more only because I guess I think its working it more and will get a better look to that muscle.

The biggest problem with motivation is the diet/cardio portion to it. I've been reading up on HIIT and tabata which I am going to start to do. The biggest thing is the food. I loveeeeeee bad food. Which is one reason I am trying to make a "lifestyle" change and eat healthy for once. The second problem is, I hate vegetables. I like spinach leaves, broccoli, corn, green beans, peas, and maybe some banana peppers or such but thats basically it. I've tried different vegetables but its just too much to fathom with the taste and texture. Also I eat a lot of bread and carbs. I could eat chicken and turkey everyday, and we have that at dining halls here, but its the side dishes of mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. So that is where my biggest motivation lies. I'll also stay focused for a couple days or so then will cheat and basically give up for a couple days, then go right back to it.

Over the summer I went to the gym most days, twice a day. I lost maybe 9 pounds total (which I have gained back) and got hardly any visible notice in muscle areas. While most people won't call me fat and some say I look jacked, all I see is an out of shape body.

Thanks for all your help though, I've been listening to it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
While most people won't call me fat and some say I look jacked

HEY, your half way there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

haha yeah guess so. With losing the fat and such, I know it takes time but how can i measure if I am actually losing or not. During the week I will workout and feel like I made a good effort to lose almost 3-4 pounds, but one night of drinking seems to just wipe that all off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:10 pm 

ds4bz wrote:
haha yeah guess so. With losing the fat and such, I know it takes time but how can i measure if I am actually losing or not. During the week I will workout and feel like I made a good effort to lose almost 3-4 pounds, but one night of drinking seems to just wipe that all off.

Your going to have to measure yourself. Your weight may not change if your lifting hard.

I found the best thing to do was not think about the weight on your waist, think about the weight in your hands. Think about the lift, not the weight you want to lose.

Measure yourself once a week, and if you make no progress in two weeks, re-evaluate your diet and routine. It may be as easy as going a bit heavyer, or running half a mile more, or eating 500 less calories. But otherwise, don't think about the weight loss. Just let it happen. Patience is hard, but worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 pm 

Any updates for us?

Was thinking about this tread the other day as I laid on my couch sick as a dog.

How ya feeling these days fella?