ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:51 pm 
former lurker

Hello,

Someone recommended this site to me recently.
Since December I have been working to build my endurance to run 30 minutes straight. This is a baby-step goal because I want to run a half-marathon first, and then a full marathon a bit later - but all this year.

I am reading a running book for women. I am doing well - at least I have something to guide me. By myself I was worse than Helter Skelter on two feet, and probably on my way to an injury.

Anyway - I was told I need to strength train. Okay, but funds are tight and time is tighter (single mom, work an hour away from home, and the kid has activities in the evenings to where we are busy hustling).

I came to the website - looks great, but I have NO CLUE where to start.

Any pro's out there who can give me a bit o' help as to which workout to look at and more - thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

By tight funds I read, can't afford gym. By tighter time, I read no time for driving anyway. From what you are saying it looks like less at a time on more days would probably be helpful too. First get Some adjustible dumbells. Since time is tighter you might want 2 or 3 pair and plenty of plates. Maybe mat if you can swing it. You can use a chair or couch for seated stuff. For you a mix of strength and endurance would be a good thing. Try to keep your sets in the 12 to 14 rep range. Do short rest 60 to 90 seconds between sets. If you are not used to weights start light and keep adding weight as you advance. To where at first it is easy and you get your form down on the excercise and later you work up to doing as much weight as you can lift for 12 to 14 reps. Then at that time you will ad weight more slowly, because you will only add as your strength increases. All these excercises will be with dumbells. do a warm up set with light weight before each.

day 1:
bench press 3 sets
inclined bench press 2 sets (if you can't rig something up with pillows and a mat, just do 2 more flat bench.)
front shoulder raises 2
tricep extension (seated or lying, seperate or both arms together is ok) 2

day 2:
dumbell bent over row 4 sets
curls 2
concentration curl 1
hammer curl 1
Wrist curls and extension (1 optional set each)

day 3:
dumbell squat 4
calf raises hold dumbells 4

day 4:
shrugs 3
lateral raises 3
wide stance squat holding single dumbell 3

day 5:
dumbell straight leg deadlift 4
sit ups holding weight plate 2

Try that and see how it works for you. Look up everything in the excercise directory and make sure you get the form right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Sandoftime. I understand where you are coming from, however, you really do not require that much time, or money. It really doesn't take much more than 20 mins a day, maybe 2-3 times / week for resistanc/weight training to supplement your goal of running a half arathon. While the previous poster suggested a split, more advanced, bodybuilding routine, I would not recommend it. You are a beginner, and the weights/bodyweight training is not a means to itself, but rather a supplement to your stated goals of longer distance running. Here is a good link to an outstanding article to explain the wh's and how's.
http://www.athletes.com/fun/maki7.htm
Now, keep in mind, this is more than I would recommend. Simply strating with pushups/dips, pullups or bodyrows, with bodyweight squats, and some type of hip extension (SLDL) would be great. Also see crossfit.com. They use all types of different programs.
Eqipment, where DB's are great. Chairs and a long (5 ft) wooden dowel can be used for dips and bodyrows, dbs for the rest
Check out the link for over guidance, then come back to this site , specifically to the Exercise and muscle Directory to view acceptable substitutes you ca use with DB's and bodyweight.
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:51 am 
Novice
Novice

Yea if you scratch the going light part, lower the sets, increase the rest and make the reps lower. Or change it to pyramids.

It looked like she was an athlete, just one who didn't do weights. I figured the 1 set of everything routine wouldn't cut it. Maybe I misread it though. It probably would have been better to ask for more information.

Post subject: Thank You
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:19 pm 
former lurker

Hi Thank you for responding...
Okay I know not much time and money is subjective - lol. Yes but right now I am going to have to skip driving to the gym - but I will print out the replies and give it a try. 20-minutes a day is not bad. I can add the workouts in on my 'off-days'

TimD I am going to try what you suggested.

I'll come back soon to let you know what I created - lol

Again - Thank you both for your replies.

Sandz

Post subject: evelyn
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:48 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]